Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rip off?

Default Re: Rip off?

lol RIP OFF, your mean 'No Ordinary Family' wtf! Cancel Heroes, then sign a show that's pretty much the same thing...wtf? Where's the logic in that?

Quote Originally Posted by dacooker View Post
    lol RIP OFF, your mean 'No Ordinary Family' wtf! Cancel Heroes, then sign a show that's pretty much the same thing...wtf? Where's the logic in that?
    Two different networks. Since Networks love to copy each other, I'd say ABC is trying to go for the Heroes audience of NBC.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

I, for one, noticed this the moment I heard about Heroes...I refused to watch it for some time because I was bitter over the cancellation of The 4400 (both are owned by NBC). NBC marketed it to death while The 4400 was placed in USA. If The 4400 received even a fraction of Heroes budget to supplement the show it probably could have AT LEAST gone on to finish the story.

That being said, I did like Heroes once I watched, but you have to be blind to not see the plot similarities, not even considering the powers.

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

Similar storytelling elements is not necessarily a rip off.

This sounds like something I might watch if it ends better than heroes did. Even though heroes got a little tired at the end, it still deserved a decent ending.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lady Blue View Post
    This sounds like something I might watch if it ends better than heroes did. Even though heroes got a little tired at the end, it still deserved a decent ending.
    The 4400? It was good...It got a little weird in the end but it was still a fantastic series. It ends on a cliffhanger, though...

Chief Master Sergeant

I think the new Syfy show Alphas is a ripoof of Heroes....

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    The 4400? It was good...It got a little weird in the end but it was still a fantastic series. It ends on a cliffhanger, though...
    Thanks for the info Gen. Chris. I was hoping that it didn't end that way, but that seems to be television nowadays. If the journey's worth more than the destination in the right ways then it can be worth it to watch. I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the info Gen. Chris. I was hoping that it didn't end that way, but that seems to be television nowadays. If the journey's worth more than the destination in the right ways then it can be worth it to watch. I'll keep it in mind.
    Trust me, it is well worth watching. It sort of sucks you in. It was just mismanaged by USA...Originally the series was just that...a series. But USA wanted it changed to a miniseries, so the producers shrunk down what was supposed to be at least a five season series down to a five episode "getting the gist of what the problem is" miniseries. Then when it performed well, USA decided to give it full series status, which sent the producers scrambling trying try to make the story work again.

At least that is the impression I have gotten from what I have heard and read...

Quote Originally Posted by anaberration View Post
    I think the new Syfy show Alphas is a ripoof of Heroes....
    Other than both shows having characters who have supernatural powers I see no similarities between Alphas & Heroes.

Alphas is more a investigative type of show where the main characters deal with other super natural characters. If anything it's closer to the The 4400 than Heroes was.

About The 4400, even though it did end on a cliffhanger there are 2 REALLY well written books that finish off the storyline: "Welcome to Promise City" & "Promises Broken".

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Trust me, it is well worth watching. It sort of sucks you in. It was just mismanaged by USA...Originally the series was just that...a series. But USA wanted it changed to a miniseries, so the producers shrunk down what was supposed to be at least a five season series down to a five episode "getting the gist of what the problem is" miniseries. Then when it performed well, USA decided to give it full series status, which sent the producers scrambling trying try to make the story work again.

At least that is the impression I have gotten from what I have heard and read...
    Ugh, that's always so horrible when the networks mess with the tv shows too much. Shows don't have a chance to catch on nowadays, or if they do it seems to be not as planned out as it could have been. Now I know why. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith0709 View Post
    Other than both shows having characters who have supernatural powers I see no similarities between Alphas & Heroes.

Alphas is more a investigative type of show where the main characters deal with other super natural characters. If anything it's closer to the The 4400 than Heroes was.

About The 4400, even though it did end on a cliffhanger there are 2 REALLY well written books that finish off the storyline: "Welcome to Promise City" & "Promises Broken".
    Oh, good. That's very assuring. I think I will watch it when I have the time now.

Ugh, that's always so horrible when the networks mess with the tv shows too much. Shows don't have a chance to catch on nowadays, or if they do it seems to be not as planned out as it could have been. Now I know why. Too bad.
    Yeah...And then the Writer's Strike combined with USA being stupid ended it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanith0709 View Post
    I don't see any similarity Heroes (which had a great first season) and Alphas which I truly loved. Heroes was more comic book style while Alphas is more realistic, serious with a touch of humor.