Rip off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip off?

Obviously this show borrows many elements from comic books and superhero stories in general, but there is one show in specific that aired about 2 years before heroes that shares LOTS of themes and even a few major plot details..... The 4400 (Pronounced The Forty-Four Hundred), I don't know if alot of people heard of this, a fantastic show that only had 4 seasons that is pure genius.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4400
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389564/

If you haven't seen the 4400 and are planning on watching it soon maybe not read this, a few big big spoilers..
    Spoiler:
    The 4400 is about a group of 4400 people who were went missing during the past 100 years that were returned all at once, but with abilities, at the end of the first season it was revealed that they were taken to the future (Time travel, that was in heroes....... I think...) and given powers there and sent back to save the world. (Ring a bell) In the 3rd season a scientist finds a way to give abilities to anyone (familar at all?) Throughout the show there is a branch of the government (homeland security I believe) that deals with any matters with them, testing their powers and protecting them and often working with people with powers (Sounds like a certain Company to me). There are even characters with similar powers, like regeneration and such... though the powers in the 4400 are much much more original then the standards Heroes fell back upon

What do you think? Coincidental or Rip off? Given how close together the shows were, 2004 and 2006 was when the 4400 and Heroes premiered respectively, and if you've read those spoilers it pretty much speaks for its self.... Then again maybe Im just crazy! Don't get me wrong I love heroes, though thats difficult to do alot of time....

If Im ever describing it to someone to watch I say "Its heroes, but without the plot holes, inconsistancies, bad writing and cliché comic book characters"
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Obviously this show borrows many elements from comic books and superhero stories in general, but there is one show in specific that aired about 2 years before heroes that shares LOTS of themes and even a few major plot details..... The 4400 (Pronounced The Forty-Four Hundred), I don't know if alot of people heard of this, a fantastic show that only had 4 seasons that is pure genius.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_4400
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389564/

If you haven't seen the 4400 and are planning on watching it soon maybe not read this, a few big big spoilers..
    Spoiler:
    The 4400 is about a group of 4400 people who were went missing during the past 100 years that were returned all at once, but with abilities, at the end of the first season it was revealed that they were taken to the future (Time travel, that was in heroes....... I think...) and given powers there and sent back to save the world. (Ring a bell) In the 3rd season a scientist finds a way to give abilities to anyone (familar at all?) Throughout the show there is a branch of the government (homeland security I believe) that deals with any matters with them, testing their powers and protecting them often working with people with powers (Sounds like a certain Company to me). There are even characters with similar powers, like regeneration and such... though the powers in the 4400 are much much more original then the standards Heroes fell back upon

What do you think? Coincidental or Rip off? Given how close together the shows were 2004 and 2006 was when the 4400 and Heroes premiered respectively, and if you've read those spoilers it pretty much speaks for its self....

If Im ever describing it to someone to watch I say "Its heroes, but without the plot holes, inconsistancies, bad writing and cliché comic book characters"
    Yes, 4400 and Heroes are quite similar, but to put it frankly? 4400 is--or should I say was, since it's cancelled--better. Personally, I enjoyed it much more; when there are no Star Trek actors in Heroes, I'm not at all interested in watching it. I wish that 4400 had gone longer...
    sigpic
    ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
      Yes, 4400 and Heroes are quite similar, but to put it frankly? 4400 is--or should I say was, since it's cancelled--better. Personally, I enjoyed it much more; when there are no Star Trek actors in Heroes, I'm not at all interested in watching it. I wish that 4400 had gone longer...
      I think a lot of us do.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

hmmm i intended to watch this show when i started but couldnt .. damn work !! lol i always managed to watch the first 3 or 4 eps and then missed the rest.. interesting comparisons though i would love to get it on dvd and have a squiz at it
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flea247 View Post
          hmmm i intended to watch this show when i started but couldnt .. damn work !! lol i always managed to watch the first 3 or 4 eps and then missed the rest.. interesting comparisons though i would love to get it on dvd and have a squiz at it
          It is definitely well worth it.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            I think a lot of us do.
            Ugh. They always cancel the good ones.
            sigpic
            ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
              Ugh. They always cancel the good ones.
              Definitely a lot of them.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                It is definitely well worth it.
                ahhhh going shopping on sat and guess whats on my list!
                sigpic

Comment

The 4400 was good in the beginning but got a little tired in the last season. The stories started dragging on to long. They should have just stuck with the different power and character every week format. Heroes has a different feel to it. But to call it a ripoff is kind of silly. Most every show has some element of something that has been done before. That is just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jmw326 View Post
                    The 4400 was good in the beginning but got a little tired in the last season. The stories started dragging on to long. They should have just stuck with the different power and character every week format. Heroes has a different feel to it. But to call it a ripoff is kind of silly. Most every show has some element of something that has been done before. That is just the way it is.
                    Yeah, I don't really consider Heroes a ripoff. Both The 4400 and Heroes are good shows in their own right.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Actually, I disagree with you about 4400! I thought that the last season was by far the very best--it was keeping me on the edge of my seat with every episode, especially since Isabelle was (FINALLY) getting out of the spotlight. Given the fact that I enjoyed the last season the best, it was even more disappointing that it was cancelled.

You are right, though. There are a lot of shows with elements that 'copy' other shows. As long as it's not a blatant ripoff, in the way that Wormhole X-Treme! was a ripoff of Stargate SG-1 (best example I can think of, I'm afraid), then there's really no point in criticizing it, I guess. It's just annoying that Heroes, which has more or less become The Sylar Show, is probably going to last longer than The 4400 did.
                      sigpic
                      ~the guitarists~

Comment

4400 is probably one of the most criminally underrated shows ever, and Heroes "borrows" so many elements it is impossible not to see a correlation.
                        Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I sort of agree. Don't get me wrong, I liked the show, but I thought it started out really good but really weird and kind of bad at the end.

Comment

I love the 4400 and heros both. I should say these two shows are similar. But i think heros is better, because the character is handsom~~~

Comment

the 4400 heroes
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X