Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year on....how has your opinion changed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year on....how has your opinion changed?

It's nearly one year later from the August 20, 2008 cancellation announcement of SGA. At the time opinions were very heated with shock and disappointment over the cancellation, while other felt that it was the right time. So one year on, how has your reaction changed? Are you still disappointed and want the show to return? Have you come to terms with the cancellation, moved on, but still miss the show. Or do you in hindsight, think it was the right thing to do?

For me personally at the time, yes i was disappointed that the show was ending, but with in a week or two as time went on, it really became less of an issue and that was that. There was no point dwelling on the past. Recently i've started to re-watch SGA (in order), mainly because these nothing on TV and have I gone though a lot of my DVDs. While re-watching the show, I must say that my enjoyment of it has really decreased, knowing that it never really lived up to the potential the concept had, IMO. With that in mind i do kinda now look at the cancellation as a blessing.

NOTE: I want this thread to a civil discussion, note a bashing thread for TPTB and SGU or a platform to promote pro or con campaigning. The thread is asking a simple question.

My opinion is the same as it was last year...I never really much cared for SGA after season 3 ended, so its cancellation didn't really affect me. If it would have been canceled in its prime (somewhere around season 2 - 3), I probably would have been upset, but after the last 2 mediocre seasons it didn't really bother me. As for it being the right decision, I'm not sure. I think a lot of fans still very much enjoyed the show, but on the other hand I know the show was dropping in the ratings. But from my point of view I think it was the right decision.

Besides, with the cancellation of SGA, SGU was given the green light, and I have been very much excited for that show since I first heard of it.
    sigpic

Comment

i was disappointed to find that SGA was canceled and i had very low expectations of how SGU would do, due to the fact that SGA had just gotten in to its stride and IMO season 5 was one of the better seasons.

but now i have come to terms with the shock decision although it was taken of air Prematurely but from what has been said (and from what i have seen in the ads) SGU looks like it will do allot better than 1st thought 1year ago.

i will miss SGA in the same way you miss a limb when it has been removed but i do hope that SGU will be just as good and it has been made out to be.
      sigpic
      Dr. Nicholas Rush: Ultimately, I control this ship.
      Watching:How I Met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Warehouse 13, Alphas, Glee, Fringe, The Mentalist, Castle, Sanctuary | Re-watching: SG1, SGU

Comment

I was fine until the BS with the movie being in question. I still feel SGA fans got screwed and may not even have a movie. Yes, I am being more realistic. The Season 5 DVD is selling very well and it just raises a lot of questions of how things are being run at MGM and Bridge Studios.
        sigpic

Comment

my opinion is still the same. From my perspective, they should have cancelled SGA right after season 1
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, my opinion has changed from last year, from being bloody annoyed I am now bloody furious. I have actually gotten more angry as time as gone on, an MORE anti SGU. SGA for me WAS an IS the best Sc Fi show around an it is the only show I will support connected with the franchise, so basically I'm done with Stargate now because SGA is gone an still no movie. For me now I'll just follow the SGA actors in any future projects.
            Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

My opinion has changed I think, at the time I was just really upset that it had ended and angry with the way it was handled. Now I'm off two minds, I still have those same feelings I had before, though not quite as strong. Sometimes I think they could have redeemed the mess they made in S5 with S6, but then I hear stuff like Daniel Jackson being a regular and think I'm gratefull there isn't a season 6 Overall, I miss the show and wish it had continued still, as I miss my weekly edition of Shep and the team no matter how much they screwed things up with McKeller, if I can still watch while McKeller is part of the show then I'd put up with DJ

One thing hasn't changed though, I still couldn't give a toss about SGU. And my opinion of BW and the other ptb gets lower and lower.
              What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

At the time I was so pissed at it being cancelled, but now I don't really care. After the way S5 went if there was a season 6 I doubt I would have tuned in to watch it. If I knew how S5 was gonna turn out I wouldn't have watched that *shrugs*

Ah hindsight is a wonderful thing

I loved Teyla but after the way she was treated in S5 I would have really feared for her in S6, IMO she would have been shoved even further into the background if the rumour of Daniel joining in S6 was true, so i'm glad it was cancelled now.
                sigpic

Comment

I thought Atlantis had a heck of a lot of potential. They lived it up in Seasons 1-3, it began to fall in Season 4, and dropped dead in Season 5.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I was extremely disappointed when it was announced, just as I was with SG-1. Especially since SGU looked really really bad at the time. But now I've gotten over it, don't think it was the right decision but I'm fine with it, and SGU looks really good to me now. I miss both of the series but I'm looking forward to SGU.

Comment

I'll be honest, I think they lost what they were doing. As much as I love Rodney and Sheppard, they became the focus of everything. TPTB didn't know how to write their team on Atlantis. They didn't know how to create that chemistry.

And Keller...oh God, replacing Beckett with her? What a bad move. Don't get me wrong, I love her in FireFly but the character they created for Straite is so annoying. And the romance. Didn't buy it. Not at all.

And Michael went from being an awesome enemy to feeble and nothing. What a waste there. The hybrid concepts where just terrible. In look and execution. Just not threatening at all to me.

The Asurans. Sure, it's a rip of Replicators but if they'd have actually differentiated them by referring to them as Asurans and maybe focused on the Ancient knock off culture we'd have had some really interesting enemies.

Carter, I actually liked. I thought she fitted in well but she was underused. Same went for Woolsey. He eventually fitted in but wasn't used.

And don't even get me started on Enemy at the Gate. Pah.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                        My opinion is the same as it was last year...I never really much cared for SGA after season 3 ended, so its cancellation didn't really affect me. If it would have been canceled in its prime (somewhere around season 2 - 3), I probably would have been upset, but after the last 2 mediocre seasons it didn't really bother me. As for it being the right decision, I'm not sure. I think a lot of fans still very much enjoyed the show, but on the other hand I know the show was dropping in the ratings. But from my point of view I think it was the right decision.

I agree with this bit 100%. I can't comment on Seasons 4 and 5 directly, I flatly refused to watch them after the deabacle of Season 3's second half, and the loss of two great characters. After reading a couple of season 4 transcripts, comments in the forum about Keller, and the overuse of Mckay and Shep kept me away. I thought "This is going to get canned, they have ruined the balance of the characters." - When that happened, I felt sorry for the fans who stuck with the series and were enjoying it. - The SGU anouncement the next day was very bad PR.
                        For me personally though, it was a shrug of the shoulders. - Its showbiz, these things are ten a penny. The only active tv franchises that has had legs and publicity support longer that the Stargate is Trek and Dr Who. As a business venture Atlantis was atriophying, and the recent revelation that they were considering adding Dr Jackson to the mix hints how bad things were getting.

I have been rather ambivilent about SGU, and even though the amount of info about it has increased, my opinion has only really changed in one way. - How will what it shows effect Earth, and will it have any impact on future SG1 stories? This new programme is clearly taking cues from the recently concluded Battlestar Galactica, whether that comparision is intended or not. Its an understandable (if predictable) safe business practice, but the format is not for me personally.

If SGU trying to reach a new audience, (and retain the existing) it will have a lot to prove. Irronically if it does work and get Galactica style praise and recognition, via inventive fresh writing and solid performances (I don't doubt the latter) then Atlantis really will risk becoming the forgotten "also ran" SG sibling, wedged between its predacessor and sucessor.

Considering the strong potential it had right at the start when Dr Weir led the Expo through the Gate from Earth, the city gracefully rising from the sea bed in that first episode, and the "brave new world colony" feel of the first season, to me that would be a real shame.
                        Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 09 August 2009, 08:00 AM.
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

I still feel the same as I did last year - disappointed that they decided to end the show instead of looking at where they went wrong and putting it right in future seasons.

Originally posted by Briangate78
                          I was fine until the BS with the movie being in question. I still feel SGA fans got screwed and may not even have a movie. Yes, I am being more realistic.
                          This lack of a movie has done nothing to make me feel better about SGU.
                          sigpic

Comment

seasons 1-3 good

s4 ok

s5 not so much

p.s if your going kill of a character leave HIM dead or don't kill HIM.

Comment

At the time i was extreamely angry at what happened.....

Now i'm just peeved at how badly TPTB treated us.

SG:U is looking better and frakking better..... but the fact we lost Atlantis when it was getting really quite good again (I will never EVER understand how some parts of SG:Fandom can call it the worst.... but hey, to each their own i guess) is what still irritates the hell outta me...... and how badly EATG was effed up by not getting a second part (As i believe the S6 premiere would have been) is shocking....

i just hope to God that TPTB donm't treate SG:U like they did with SG:A at it's end.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Working...
                              X