No announcement yet.

Alphas (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the first episode and it was ok. I like that there is an effort to identify that they all have limitations when it comes to using their powers. The character that can increase some of her senses at the cost of the other is a pretty cool idea.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
      The character that can increase some of her senses at the cost of the other is a pretty cool idea.
      Sci-Fi had another character like that before. James Ellison on "The Sentinel." The pilot for that show was MUCH more interesting IMO. I found myself bored and playing with my iPod in about 30 minutes. I really wish the show had held me better. It's too bad.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

It is interesting that the characters have limits, not only in the use of their powers but also that they are limited in their ability to carry firearms. I suspect that the firearms thing will disappear as the series continues, or with the addition of the Hicks character, they now have a second individual who at least has training in the use of firearms (though he has no license to do so).

I find it amazing that the group would allow the Pirzad character to go someplace alone, where she would be using her power. I know it's a pilot, and the writer(s) want to build some tension, but this is a group of characters who have been working together for some time prior to the viewing audience coming into the show. Sending in one of their number alone is bad enough, but one who will potentially be defenseless while using her power, is STOOPID.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
          Putting a cap on their skills is a plus for me because I don't want to see an all-powerful Sylar-type character as a regular on this show, at this point. When the writers for Heroes abandoned their original idea to kill off Sylar the show took a wrong turn because that character was too powerful to keep around as a series regular.

So far, the writers for Alpha seem to realize that their characters need personal challenges to keep things interesting. If the show lasts long enough I wouldn't have a problem seeing their powers grow, but I don't want them to be too powerful immediately.
          Absolutely this. Flawed powers and flawed characters make for a much more interesting series. When a power is too powerful, you lose all sense of drama.

MZPtv - fiction never tasted so good! Join other aspiring writers in our community
          dedicated to scripted original, 'Buffyverse' and 'Aliasverse' online fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
            I enjoyed the first episode, but agree that the creators better have a well thought out long-range plan for the show. Otherwise, it could go down the same sorry road that Lost, Heroes and BSG did.
            I don't think they're going for that lost, heroes bsg kind of series. More like Warehouse, Fringe or Eureka kind.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I'll have to wait for the episode to repeat so I can watch the extended preview again, but did anyone else see Summer Glau near the end?

Comment

This show feels like a poor man's Fringe. You've got a special team that works on unique cases, usually ones that are out of this world. I see the trend here and it isn't anything new. The major difference is that the team members themselves have special powers. But thus far they are not really all that interesting.
                sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know which episode Alaina will be in?

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    This show feels like a poor man's Fringe. You've got a special team that works on unique cases, usually ones that are out of this world. I see the trend here and it isn't anything new. The major difference is that the team members themselves have special powers. But thus far they are not really all that interesting.
                    Fringe isn't exactly original either. It's basically a serial version of X-Files, and X-Files was inspired by shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                      Fringe isn't exactly original either. It's basically a serial version of X-Files, and X-Files was inspired by shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.
                      IMHO...Fringe blows X-Files out of the water. But this isn't the thread for that conversation. I agree, Alphas sort of feels like a poor man's Fringe. I stated in another thread, that I try to watch Alphas, but my attention is easily taken away from the show. I've not been too impressed by it yet. I thought it was a good concept, and I wanted to like the show...but I shouldn't have to struggle to keep my attention on a show or struggle to stay awake to watch it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        IMHO...Fringe blows X-Files out of the water. But this isn't the thread for that conversation. I agree, Alphas sort of feels like a poor man's Fringe. I stated in another thread, that I try to watch Alphas, but my attention is easily taken away from the show. I've not been too impressed by it yet. I thought it was a good concept, and I wanted to like the show...but I shouldn't have to struggle to keep my attention on a show or struggle to stay awake to watch it.
                        Heh thats what i say about Warehouse 13 and Warehouse 13 is good, this..... idk what this is, a poor mans Heroes(circa s2)???? IMHO i think i would rather have a season 5 of Heroes

However I'm sticking with it till the end of the season but if it doesnt improve im done
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

I really enjoy Alphas. This last week was the first ep to have some cluncky bits, but the production is excellent, writing fun and quick and acting is excellent from the main characters. It's in its first season and that means a lot of information to present and kinks to work out, but definitely has great potential. Looking forward to more!

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            But Fringe is a network show while Alphas is a cable show and that means a pretty big budget difference. It's also a problem that the show needs to overcome. It's difficult to do stories about people with super powers when you don't have the effects budget to actually show those powers.

Comment

Last night's episode was fantastic! Gary is a incredible character and the chemistry and timing between he and Ana was perfect. This is going to be good!

Comment

So far I'm finding the show interesting, but not ready to make a judgement on it yet. It reminds me more of the failed No Ordinary Family than anything else. It does what No Ordinary Family didn't do much of - it actually moves fast and has good action to it. I think I cared more for the characters in No Ordinary Family than I do in Alphas so far though.
                                That is just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                                X