No announcement yet.

Alphas (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they key, imho, to any show like this is to have some idea where you're going before you start...dont' just make it up as you go along.

I feel it's the difference between Lost and BSG. BSG seemed to have a plan and plot and ending in mind when it started. Lost seemed to start good, then each year it seemed like they made it up as they went along, dropping good plot bits, then dragging things out to fill time....it made a very inconsistent show that seemed to plug along in fits and starts.

well thought out stories and plots make a good steady show with staying power. flash in the pan 'look at the pretty' shows dont' last long. because while they look pretty, viewers soon get bored with a lack of substance. I feel that heroes got so caught up in its hype that it forgot to have a story. I kinda liken it to shows like 'finding bigfoot', where, every week, the promos suggest 'hey, we found something, tune in and find out what it is'...but you know had they REALLY found something it woulda made the national news as it was taped, not months later.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Alphas starts to night! Woo-hoo!
      sigpic

Comment

Am willing to give this a try. The commercials on Space make it interesting. I know my dad is excited about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          depends on your POV. it's promotion reminds me of Heroes.
          I hope they don't go the "new power of the week" route like Heroes did, and I agree that they need a plan. A special forces unit could have lots of possibilities, which the previews kind of look like.
          sigpic

Comment

Well the pilot did not disappoint, let's hope they can keep the pace
            The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post

Nice to hear that, I think I will try, and watch this next week!
              sigpic

Comment

i liked it, i dont think its like heroes, i think its more like x-men comics, heres hoping the quality will get better as the show gets older
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
                  That's good to hear. I recorded it to watch later. I'll get around to it when I'm all caught up on homework.
                  "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                  - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

as i said on the other thread if anything this show reminds me of human target (which is good thing). hopefully there will be episode about them solving crimes, that have nothing to do with powers and that they don't fall into the freak-of-the-week thing many of these shows do.
                    sigpic

Comment

SYFY PRESS RELEASE:

Syfy’s Alphas premiered to 2.5 million viewers and a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating and was the most-watched and highest-rated of the trio of Monday shows. More detail below via press release:

SYFY’S NEW MONDAY NIGHT SCRIPTED PROGRAMMING BLOCK GETS OFF TO POWERFUL START LED BY ALPHAS 2.5 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS – MOST WATCHED CHANNEL DEBUT IN TWO YEARS!

ALPHAS, Warehouse 13 AND Eureka ALL AVERAGE MORE THAN TWO MILLION VIEWERS

HIGHEST MONDAY TIME PERIOD AUDIENCE FOR SCRIPTED SERIES IN OVER 10 YEARS

NEW YORK – July 12, 2011 – Sparked by Alphas – the most watched Syfy series debut since 2009 – the channel’s powerful new Monday night scripted programming block of Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas each delivered more than two million total viewers from 8-11:30PM (ET/PT) on July 11.

This marked Syfy’s highest Monday time period audience for scripted series in over 10 years.

At 10PM Alphas found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 HH rating, the top-rated series premiere since Warehouse 13 debuted in July 2009, the same night Syfy launched its new brand evolution.

From 9-10PM, the season three premiere of Warehouse 13 snagged, bagged and tagged 2.3 million total viewers, 1.0 million Adults 18-49 and 1.2 million Adults 25-54 with a 1.74 HH rating.

Eureka’s season 4.5 return kicked off the night at 8PM by grabbing 2.0 million total viewers, 893,000 Adults 18-49 and 987,000 Adults 25-54, while averaging a 1.5 HH rating.

Boosted by the premieres of Alphas, Warehouse 13 and Eureka, Syfy.com delivered its best day in video streams (378K) since 11/1/2009; uniques (376K) since 10/31/10; page views (1.4 million) since 3/18/11, and visits (373K) since 1/17/11.

Syfy’s Summer Premiere Week continues on Wednesday, July 13, with the third season of Ghost Hunters International at 9PM, followed by the premiere of Legend Quest at 10PM. On Friday, July 15, Haven returns for its second season at 10PM.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 99 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

Comment

I enjoyed the first episode, but agree that the creators better have a well thought out long-range plan for the show. Otherwise, it could go down the same sorry road that Lost, Heroes and BSG did.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

I really enjoyed this. Pilot episodes always have a difficult job introducing the characters, settings etc and this did it pretty well. Now I'm interested to see how the rest of the season pans out.
                          My blog
                          My Twitter

Comment

"All alpha skills come with a downside"

Convenient

Comment

Putting a cap on their skills is a plus for me because I don't want to see an all-powerful Sylar-type character as a regular on this show, at this point. When the writers for Heroes abandoned their original idea to kill off Sylar the show took a wrong turn because that character was too powerful to keep around as a series regular.

So far, the writers for Alpha seem to realize that their characters need personal challenges to keep things interesting. If the show lasts long enough I wouldn't have a problem seeing their powers grow, but I don't want them to be too powerful immediately.
                              Last edited by maxbo; 13 July 2011, 03:45 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Luciana

Comment

I found at least two characters annoying, and made me wish Heroes was still on. I will probably dump that off my 'watch list'. That wil save me from having to get pissed when they cancel it..
                                My Story:
                                http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Working...
                                X