Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Alphas (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

I was thinking that it sounded like Heroes. I'm a fan of that show, but I'm not sure about this show. I might watch an episode or two to see if I like it.
    <a href=http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/rayc5678/GateworldBleachSignature2.jpg target=_blank>http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...Signature2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RoK View Post
    I was thinking that it sounded like Heroes. I'm a fan of that show, but I'm not sure about this show. I might watch an episode or two to see if I like it.
    Me too, although it sounds a little more organized than Heroes. Hopefully they know where they want the story to go.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

its worth a watch, time will tell if it has promise or if it falls victim to a parade of cliches

It has an added benefit of being placed behind 2 of the most (if not the most) popular science fiction shows (in terms of ratings) SyFy currently has. The fact that it isn't competing against any ratings giants on network tv or following wrestling is also a plus.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I will at least check out the pilot, but right now this doesn't promising. The story seems unoriginal (Heroes, Mutant X) and the creator is the writer behind X-men Last Stand.

I plan to check this one out, but I admit my expectations are not high.

Also, it's on at the same time as Rizzoli & Isles, so it'll be recorded to watch later.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles

(Moderator)

ah, bugger, know i forgot to set the recorder for something

and yeah, worth checking out, but holding the expectations low. my experience has taught me that anything that's really, really over hyped is usually because the hype is disproportionate to the quality of the show. (ie the harder they pimp it it's because they know it's - at its most basic - not all that good)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    ah, bugger, know i forgot to set the recorder for something

and yeah, worth checking out, but holding the expectations low. my experience has taught me that anything that's really, really over hyped is usually because the hype is disproportionate to the quality of the show. (ie the harder they pimp it it's because they know it's - at its most basic - not all that good)
    The hype strategy seems to have worked well for Game of Thrones and Falling Skies

I have not seen any hype about this show.

(Moderator)

depends on your POV. it's promotion reminds me of Heroes.

The concept here definitely seems to be really similar which is why I'm skeptical. Heroes had one great season and then just plummeted because they really didn't know where they were going with it. Lets hope Alphas doesn't follow suit.

(Moderator)

they key, imho, to any show like this is to have some idea where you're going before you start...dont' just make it up as you go along.

I feel it's the difference between Lost and BSG. BSG seemed to have a plan and plot and ending in mind when it started. Lost seemed to start good, then each year it seemed like they made it up as they went along, dropping good plot bits, then dragging things out to fill time....it made a very inconsistent show that seemed to plug along in fits and starts.

well thought out stories and plots make a good steady show with staying power. flash in the pan 'look at the pretty' shows dont' last long. because while they look pretty, viewers soon get bored with a lack of substance. I feel that heroes got so caught up in its hype that it forgot to have a story. I kinda liken it to shows like 'finding bigfoot', where, every week, the promos suggest 'hey, we found something, tune in and find out what it is'...but you know had they REALLY found something it woulda made the national news as it was taped, not months later.

Alphas starts to night! Woo-hoo!

Am willing to give this a try. The commercials on Space make it interesting. I know my dad is excited about it.

I hope they don't go the "new power of the week" route like Heroes did, and I agree that they need a plan. A special forces unit could have lots of possibilities, which the previews kind of look like.

First Lieutenant

Well the pilot did not disappoint, let's hope they can keep the pace
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post

Nice to hear that, I think I will try, and watch this next week!

i liked it, i dont think its like heroes, i think its more like x-men comics, heres hoping the quality will get better as the show gets older
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

First Lieutenant J-Whitt Remastered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
    That's good to hear. I recorded it to watch later. I'll get around to it when I'm all caught up on homework.
    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

as i said on the other thread if anything this show reminds me of human target (which is good thing). hopefully there will be episode about them solving crimes, that have nothing to do with powers and that they don't fall into the freak-of-the-week thing many of these shows do.

Major

SYFY PRESS RELEASE:

Syfy’s Alphas premiered to 2.5 million viewers and a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating and was the most-watched and highest-rated of the trio of Monday shows. More detail below via press release:

SYFY’S NEW MONDAY NIGHT SCRIPTED PROGRAMMING BLOCK GETS OFF TO POWERFUL START LED BY ALPHAS 2.5 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS – MOST WATCHED CHANNEL DEBUT IN TWO YEARS!

ALPHAS, Warehouse 13 AND Eureka ALL AVERAGE MORE THAN TWO MILLION VIEWERS

HIGHEST MONDAY TIME PERIOD AUDIENCE FOR SCRIPTED SERIES IN OVER 10 YEARS

NEW YORK – July 12, 2011 – Sparked by Alphas – the most watched Syfy series debut since 2009 – the channel’s powerful new Monday night scripted programming block of Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas each delivered more than two million total viewers from 8-11:30PM (ET/PT) on July 11.

This marked Syfy’s highest Monday time period audience for scripted series in over 10 years.

At 10PM Alphas found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 HH rating, the top-rated series premiere since Warehouse 13 debuted in July 2009, the same night Syfy launched its new brand evolution.

From 9-10PM, the season three premiere of Warehouse 13 snagged, bagged and tagged 2.3 million total viewers, 1.0 million Adults 18-49 and 1.2 million Adults 25-54 with a 1.74 HH rating.

Eureka’s season 4.5 return kicked off the night at 8PM by grabbing 2.0 million total viewers, 893,000 Adults 18-49 and 987,000 Adults 25-54, while averaging a 1.5 HH rating.

Boosted by the premieres of Alphas, Warehouse 13 and Eureka, Syfy.com delivered its best day in video streams (378K) since 11/1/2009; uniques (376K) since 10/31/10; page views (1.4 million) since 3/18/11, and visits (373K) since 1/17/11.

Syfy’s Summer Premiere Week continues on Wednesday, July 13, with the third season of Ghost Hunters International at 9PM, followed by the premiere of Legend Quest at 10PM. On Friday, July 15, Haven returns for its second season at 10PM.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 99 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)