Citizen Joe (815)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    He didn't mention it because TPTB never thought of it before this episode. I think the reciprocity part is stupid and unnecessary, and carves huge holes in prior episodes.

Seaboe
    I know reciprocity from biology and maths, but does it not imply a mutual agreement? There was none.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

Not always. Part of the definition is
      the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence.
      In this case, the powers that be decided (for no good reason that I can see) that if Joe saw Jack's life, Jack must see Joe's (even though never, during the previous seven years, had there been even a smidgen of evidence that this was so). It was stupid and unnecessary.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

And the only piece that 'confirmed it' was a few brief flashbacks that Jack seemed to have IN the ep..

Comment

I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

Last edited by Cluas; 30 March 2016, 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
                Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.
                Yes, they did.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.
                I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                  I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good.
                  I agree and it feels good for me too.
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                    I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

Yeah he was way better than Marty IMO. And the way Jack says the bowling visions etc, were relaxing was a nice finishing touch to the episode.

Comment

I find it unbelievable that Jack would never mention he was having those glimpses of Joe's life for 7 years. Moreover, wouldn't he also have to see the parts where Joe writes those SG-1 stories and becomes obsessed, and how it destroys his life and marriage? This would also be a huge security issue ...

Comment

I lost it when Joe greeted Teal'c

Comment

If all clip shows were anything like Citizen Joe, I would love them all, but alas they are not and thus I'm not a fan of clip shows in general.

Citizen Joe is a story wrapped around a clip show and it's brilliant. It goes back to the beginning and all the way up to the end, and all the while we see what it does to Joe Spencer the Barber.

From the start where it's a story to tell and entertain his kid and customers, to the point where it consumes his life and he looses everything to his obsession.

It has a lot of fun moments, like the Gordie referring to the Furlings as Ewoks, or Joe and Jack agreeing that Burns would definitely be a Goa'uld.

I think this is basically the best episode of season 8 so far.
                          Can't remember Moebius so maybe that's about to take first place here but for now, this episode is definitely my favorite of the season.

How would you rate SG-1's "Citizen Joe"?

Excellent

Good
                          Fair
                          Poor
                          Terrible
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The episode title should have been Citizen Homer.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              The episode title should have been Citizen Homer.
                              I did expect him to say D'oh! at least once, so I guess that's my one disappointment. But they talked about Burns being the best possible choice of being a goa'uld so that made up for it, I guess.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

My favorite bit is actually the part where Jack points out that Joe's gun is fake while his own is real. After that, I found it fun the first time, but not rewatchable. And, as always, I hate dumb Jack.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X