Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920

Default Re: Citizen Joe (815)

I liked this episode except for Joe going on and on about the story and his wife leaving him over it. I guess I don't think seeing the visions should have drove him crazy. I wish they added something to explain his behavior. Other than that it was good clip show.

Captain

The visions didn't drive him crazy; he became obsessed. I think they explained his behavior quite well.

However, I admit that I got tired of the middle. It went on too long.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Major General

Pity they had to take that comm stone from him. Would have been nice to have seen what he would have felt should he have visioned what was going on in S9 and 10!

If he still had the stone I wonder what would have happened when Jack visited Destiny!

Major General

Hmm.. That opens up some new worms.. Like what would have happened when the Asurans scanned his mind in the Return part 1-2.

Staff Sergeant

I guess he's what you call a stoner

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Pity they had to take that comm stone from him. Would have been nice to have seen what he would have felt should he have visioned what was going on in S9 and 10!
    Jack was in Washington D.C. in Seasons 9 and 10, so he would have seen nothing exciting, except for politicians fighting amongst themselves and Jack being frustrated.

Major General

What of when he was in the mountain during the Ori parts?

Earth Symbol Re: Citizen Joe (815)

I must admit I kinda liked this one. But why didn't O'Neill mention having glimpses of a barber's life? Well, consider this question as a rhetorical one because I know he gives an answer himself and we all can only speculate on better ones.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Captain

He didn't mention it because TPTB never thought of it before this episode. I think the reciprocity part is stupid and unnecessary, and carves huge holes in prior episodes.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    He didn't mention it because TPTB never thought of it before this episode. I think the reciprocity part is stupid and unnecessary, and carves huge holes in prior episodes.

Seaboe
    I know reciprocity from biology and maths, but does it not imply a mutual agreement? There was none.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Captain

Not always. Part of the definition is
    the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence.
    In this case, the powers that be decided (for no good reason that I can see) that if Joe saw Jack's life, Jack must see Joe's (even though never, during the previous seven years, had there been even a smidgen of evidence that this was so). It was stupid and unnecessary.

Seaboe

Major General

And the only piece that 'confirmed it' was a few brief flashbacks that Jack seemed to have IN the ep..

I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

Last edited by Cluas; March 30th, 2016 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Captain

I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.

Seaboe

Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Wasn't it Jackson who asked O'Neill if it hadn't been strange to have glimpses of a barber's life throughout the seven years before? I don't remember the ep but I'm pretty that this was said. So there is more than a hint that those stones worked both ways.
    Yes, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I think this was a case of "wouldn't it be funny if...."

Later, when they decided the stones were a great idea, they ignored how they'd worked in this episode because that didn't fit with the new idea.
    I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    I reconciled the difference by telling myself that, well, a pair of initialized stones can revert to a kind of local-area communication, in the absence of a communication device (the device with receptacles for the stones). Joe and Jack's poorly guided visions were a consequence of not knowing how to properly use the stones for intentional, nearby communication. My explanation doesn't survive scrutiny -- for example, O'Neill didn't touch his stone; it was stored in the room above his office -- but I'm sticking to it because it feels good.
    I agree and it feels good for me too.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Quote Originally Posted by Cluas View Post
    I always hated those stones ... And they didn't even work that way in the later universe episodes... I DID like the actor playing Joe, he was as mad as Marty ...

Yeah he was way better than Marty IMO. And the way Jack says the bowling visions etc, were relaxing was a nice finishing touch to the episode.

Staff Sergeant

I find it unbelievable that Jack would never mention he was having those glimpses of Joe's life for 7 years. Moreover, wouldn't he also have to see the parts where Joe writes those SG-1 stories and becomes obsessed, and how it destroys his life and marriage? This would also be a huge security issue ...