No announcement yet.

Citizen Joe (815)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who want a summery (it must have been a clip show as no one has done one and we are on page 3!)

Jack arrives home with beer and eggs talking to Carter on the phone. As he unpacks his groceries, a nervous looking man stumbles into the kitchen, aiming a gun at Jack, saying that Colonel O'Neill has ruined his life.

Flashback seven years ago, Joe and his wife are at a carboot sale (garage sale for our american cousins). He picks up a small, black stone, when he recives a vivid vision of a man rising out of a golden coffin by a round circular device (we all know it to be Kolrel coming out of the sarcophagus in WTSG at the end of season one)

Joe buys the stone and takes it home. He recives several more visions of a military team called SG-1, traveling through a device called a stargate.

Joe tells the story of SG-1 to his friends and co-workers in his barber shop. They are initially interested in Joes stories, as are his young son.

Joes wife is happy Joe is becoming more creative and says he should write them down. Joe has more and more visions of different points in SG-1's missions. Joe sends his stories for publication, but keeps getting refused.

Joe starts to belive that the stories are real, attempts to contact Colonel O'Neill, but eventually his friends, wife and son start to think that he is loosing his mind. Joe goes balistic when he finds his wife has thrown away his stone. He digs it out of the rubbish to receive a vision of Daniel dying. He breaks down in tears, then runs into the house to deliver the sad news to his wife.

His wife eventually decides they should spend time apart for Joe to sort his life and business out.

Joe becomes obsessed with the visions, and begins trying to gather evidence that his visions are real, including a photo of Colonel O'Neill out of the newspaper and cuttings from things such as the 'flashes in the night sky' seven years ago. He tries to convince his wife who is not impressed, expecially when he shouts saying Anubis is in orbit now and their very existance depended on O'Neill. He told her of the battle in antartica.

His wife walks away, leaving Joe with one other course of action.

He finds O'Neill and enters his kitchen, aiming a gun at him. Jack soon aims his own gun at the intruder who throws his replica away surrendering.
    Joe tells jack that he knows he is brigadier general Jack O'Neill, who commands the SGC, he used to command SG-1 but now it is run by Lt Col Samantha Carter. Joe says how Jack was infected with ninites that made him age prematurely, how he likes the simpsons and isn't very good at table tennis.

Jack takes Joe to the SGC and they discover that Joe has the ATA gene which activated the stone, which was an Ancient communication device.
    Jack's ATA gene activated an indentical device brought back from the planet where they found the quantium mirror in season one, and ever since, Joe has been experiencing parts of Jack's life. Jack has also been experiencing moments from Joes life, but has never mentioned it.

At the end of the episode, Joe arranges a meeting with his wife, who is not ready to hear more stories about General O'Neill, until Jack arrives and tells her that he has something to say.
    That would explain how we went from "Your a pig, but I like your cat" to "I missed you"

Comment

I realy enjoyed that episode ....for a clip show it's the best....it' light and it's true ..sometimes we just need to hear something else than Go'aoulds in a episode .

The openeing credit was really funny starting with the phone call between Sam and Jack ..very relaxed conversation starting business and finishing about food and drinks and plans for the week end , just to show that Sam and Jack can speak freely about other stuff than work ..To me that conversation was like a hubby and wife talking to each other .

When Joe turns up in Jack 's kitchen ..so funny ..the fake gun

All the flasbacks were great ..was quite happy to see Skaraa...

I enjoyed the satire to the fans too ...like Don't we have anything else better to do ?
      Enjoy the moquerie about their own show.
      The short clip of wormhole extreme on TV was very good .

The child who still had milk teeth at the beginning of the episode and was probably like 5 ...grew very fast in 3 years ..he was in his teens 3 years later!!!! unless I missed a few years ...but I don't think so ....Bad on that

The infirmary scene was hilarious ...the feelings and keep them quiet scene ..and Sam's face when Joe started to talk about personnal stuff.
      and when he saw Daniel back from Abyss and met him at the infirmary....I liked the Jonas reference too ..he can't be ignored and should be mentionned more often to be honest ...would like Jonas in season 9 .

The Jack having vision of Joe was a bit weird but considering that Jack has been through a lot of things and had stuff did to him over the years ..he may have thought it was a consequence of the stuff he got downloaded in his head along time ago ..Who knows!!!

I also loved that the stories were the titles of the episodes ...but I liked "The light" ..There were a lot of worse episodes than that even in the first 6 seasons .

I liked the reference to the team interaction not being the same anymore ..so hopefully they put all that back from Reckoning 1 ..and carry on with reckoning 2 , Threads and Mobius 1 and 2.

All and All ..A funny and entertaining episode that even my 10 year old daughter enjoyed ....good entertainment ....7/10 because it was still a clip show and I usually miss the Stargate itself .

Caty

Comment

Now this is my idea of a clip show. Inventive, amusing, much more than just 'let's throw a bunch of clips in and hook them together with a bunch of people stuck in a room, going over a problem again and again and again in circular discussion, getting nowhere until we solve it in the last 2 minutes of the hour...' (can you tell I loathe Disclosure and Inauguration? <g>).

Above all, this episode was just plain fun with a capital F.

Loved the teaser and Sam and Jack's phone conversation, which had a lovely 'comfortable and familiar old friends' feel to it. Plus it was funny.

Joe was an engaging character to follow and his plight invoked sympathy. He was so engaging that I'll even forgive him for giving Jack and SG1 something to do over the weekend. Thereby negating the fact that Jack was apparently about to invite Sam over for to his place for an omlette surprise, given that neither of them had plans for the weekend.

The whole episode was full of laugh a minute moments and wonderful sly in-jokes, reminiscent of Wormhole Extreme and with the no. of clips included, most of which were short flashes, rather than chosen for length, I did get the impression that this particular clip show was less about saving costs for the season than it was about producing a roundup of our heroes' adventures in their final year. (As they thought at the time this was filmed).

The scene in the infirmary was a joy. So many hilarious moments there. Particularly Sam and Daniel's responses to meeting Joe. And, again, all the injokes. But this classic Jack/Daniel exchange had me howling:

Daniel: He broke into your house?
        Jack: Yeah
        Daniel: Second week in a row
        Jack: Mmmmm-hmmmm
        Daniel: A-lar-um
        Jack: I'm thinking dog
        Joe: You could just try locking your front door.

The briefing room scene immediately afterwards was another gem. Loved poor Jack's dismay at the fact that every single one of his reports had been rejected by publishers. LOL! And everyone's reactions to him not finding his own insights into Joe's life over seven years particuarly abnormal.

Daniel's hair in that final flashback...urgh. <shudder> But I can overlook it because that's a sweet little Jack/Daniel scene there, with some nice banter and character relationship in it.

Add in a sweet end scene in which Joe presumably begins to get his life (and wife) back and I was left with a huge smile on my face as the end credits began to roll and the feeling of deep contentment that comes with having just watched a wonderful Stargate episode.

A huge thumbs up to everyone involved. You done good.

Quibbles? Well, now that Jack's solved the mystery of Joe's visions, maybe he ought to take SG1 and go investigate Joe's sleepy little town. There seem to be a heck of a lot of people not aging there in seven years. I'd take an especially close look at the kid who sweeps the floor in Joe's barber shop. Who somehow managed to stay a fresh-faced kid for the entire show. Maybe there's some snake acitivity going on there.

And when Joe suddenly got a flash of Daniel dying and started to howl and cry - unfortunately right at that moment he sounded exactly like Homer Simpson to me and that distracted me from his pain and the poignancy of the moment. All I could think of was that he sounded like Homer bewailing the loss of donuts or something. But that's hardly the actor's fault. <G> And otherwise, he was excellent throughout. Utterly believable.

Okay, now I've read everyone else's opinions:

nd finally, did anyone else notice how clearly visible AT's bump was in this episode.
        No. <g> In fact, when she walked into the infirmary, I was struck by how slim she was looking! Wonder if it was an illusion created by her wearing a larger than usual uniform?

And does every episode need to be a chance to explore the mythology? It seem so for some fans. There are plenty of such episodes every season. Can't we just take a few off for a little fun once in a while? It's called variety. I enjoy the mythology episodes. I enjoy the standalones. I enjoy the fun episodes. I think I'd get pretty bored if it was all one or the other every single week.

Oh and how could I have forgotten to mention:

Jack: First of all...Joe...I am not a terrible ping pong player!

ROTFL. Poor Jack - he looked truly deeply hurt by that one.

Oh and:

Joe's friend: They rejected Hathor?!? But...that was gold!!

Okay, now I'm off to watch it again before I remember more hilarity to quote. Could be here all day. <g>

Albion
        Last edited by Albion; 19 January 2005, 03:37 AM.
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I wasn't too enthralled by this episode, and for me it just doesn't get above OK. But I wouldn't say this was a horrible episode or the worst ever because I found the satire of the show and its fanbase very amusing - The Furlings look like Ewok's, the exchange about Jack's security, Joe's wife naming episodes that weren't good, etc.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking it weird that Jack's been having visions of Joe's life for 7 years and didn't think to mention it.

Comment

*looks around suspiciously*

Eeeeeeeek... TPTB are lurking about on Gateworld Forum... they know too much...
            Do they have security clearance?
            Last edited by Easter Lily; 19 January 2005, 03:03 AM.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Okay, back after a second viewing and just have to add one more quote that just cracked me up.

Joe: Okay, how about you do your chores and then I'll finish the story?
              Joe's son: Chores?! What are we? Amish?!

Albion (who thinks she'll probably be remembering moments from this one and chuckling for weeks to come)
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Loved the repo men "Brothers Grim Repo"......

D

Comment

It was great that they made fun of the show (fulrings, daniel dying etc...) but overall the episode was boring

Comment

Not a big fan of clip shows but this was an ok one.

Loved all the little in-jokes etc.

When Joe was telling the story about the astriod about to hit Earth - the one guy says "I've seen this movie - hits Paris!" which is what O'Neill said in Fail Safe

Its funny my mum mentioned the fact O'Neill should have an alarm fitted as he is an Air Force General and this week Daniel mentions it!

Lots of funny in-jokes, I was trying to spot them all. Nice use of Wormhole X-Treme as well, and as Hammond predicted it didn't last long on the air!

Also two Simpson references in there - have to wait and see if RDA appears in The Simpsons soon.

Comment

Well, I personally thought this episode was outstanding, Dan Castellaneta was fantastic, and it was full of in-jokes for both SG-1 and the Simpsons, I've noticed most of you didn't notice the Simpsons ones, like the scene with Joe awake in bed, and his wife curled up beside him, and Margerie at the Drugs store and Lenny at the Gas station, I'm sure there were more thant the wife said, but I'm not quite sure.

I loved the first and last scene, and the story really made me laugh out loud, as much as some others might have disliked this episode, I thyink it was fantastic! Well worth seeing again.
                      Last edited by Whistler; 19 January 2005, 05:16 AM.

Comment

As far as Simpsons references go, I just loved Joe agreeing with Jack's analogy of Burns as Goa'uld. Especially the way Jack was on tenterhooks waiting for Joe's verdict and his heartfelt 'Thank you!' when Joe agreed with him.

Oh, and I'm with the other poster who actually likes The Light. And Holiday and The Sentinel come to think of it. <g>

I'm definitely smitten with this episode. Watched it four times today and found more things to laugh at with each new viewing.

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

If anything, I wish they hadn't spent quite so much time on Joe's flashbacks. It was entertaining they way they poked fun at the show and the fans, but did it really deserve two thirds of the episode? Especially once they got back to Jack's house. Everything from that point forward was pure hilarity.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Terok
                            Glad I'm not alone in thinking it weird that Jack's been having visions of Joe's life for 7 years and didn't think to mention it.
                            Although I suppose now we have a canon reason for Jack getting 'dumber' over the past few years: he's been getting visions straight from the brain of an increasingly unstable barber of the barber being repeatedly told the none of the SGC is real

Madeleine

Comment

I did feel bad for Joe that his life soured that much and that is the main reason why I disliked that Jack had been seeing visions of Joe (although that sort of makes sense); so Jack saw Joe's life get turned upside down but didn't care to do anything about that? You would figure he might had stop by Indiana on one of his fishing trip to track down and help the guy.
                              Why would he even think to? He'd have absolutely no clue that these flashes were real or that Joe existed outside of his own head. I can't see how it would ever occur to him that this was something real he was seeing.

I do wonder why he didn't seem to recognise Joe right off the bat though when he appeared in his kitchen waving a gun around. Maybe he did and was just keeping his cards close to his chest.

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I actually quite enjoyed this episode. I found it quite amusing and I liked the (fairly) gentle mickey take of the fans and writers alike by Joe's customers and family. My only gripe really was the fact that for all this time Jack has, whenever he's been writing his reports, had visions of a barber and his life! And he never mentioned it! I mean, it could have been some sort of alien mind control technique... anything. You'd think that with all the bizarre security risks that the SGC encounters he would have felt obliged to say something. That was the only moment where it started to come unstuck for me, a bad script moment that really seemed to flounder. But overall, I thought it was (for a clip show! ) very good.
                                ETA: Oh, and the repo men! Did anyone notice their jackets? Grimm Repo. I laughed.

Comment

Working...
                                X