Citizen Joe (815)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jantreeuk1
    I will watch it again as I always give them a second chance but I already knew the story, have the dvds so do not need clips and didn't like Joe, his wife or his son who obviously had a nannite induced growth spurt.

1. Clip shows are normal in the seasons, and if ur a SG fan u know that. They dont care if u need it.. theres always a clip show near the end of the season.

2. You seem to have missed the point that it shows his life for all 8 years. The child didnt have a growth spurt.. he just got older. He would tell the stories as he saw them (aka as they happen). Pretty simple i thought..

Anyway - my comments: I did enjoy this ep. Ill give it a 6.5/10 in context with the rest of the season.. and a 9/10 in context with other clip shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
      2. You seem to have missed the point that it shows his life for all 8 years. The child didnt have a growth spurt.. he just got older. He would tell the stories as he saw them (aka as they happen). Pretty simple i thought..
      You seem to have missed the little words on the bottom of the screen telling how many years ago the event occurred. When it said 7 years ago he was like 7, then it said 3 years ago and he was like 16.
      *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
      McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

What a great episode! I loved it! I especially enjoyed all the in jokes Furlings, Jonas...and that scene in the infirmary (Joe's a shipper! ) I was laughing all throughout. My favorite part though was when he broke down when Daniel died ROFLMAO!!!

It's really a show about the fans not SG-1 It was great, I'm gonna go see it again now
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

lol hilarious, especially with Jack at the end..

and that little stone looked like the things the foothold aliens had on their chest..

my theory that i came up with before finishing the show was that.. you know how those little devices the foothold aliens had allowed them to access the memory of the likeness .. so see the connection? but that was destroyed when i saw the end

but great episode

Furlings.. Jonas..

Comment

It's time for some QUOTES! Woohoo!

Hehe, "Brothers Grimm repo" I got these myself while watching

Sam: How about Monday Morning?

JACK: Nah I have a thing with someone of the CIA.A Johnson someone or other.It's about that whole Kinsey Thing.

SAM: So...any big plans for the weekend?

JACK: Oh yeah. Big. HUGE.

SAM: Yeah...me neither.

JACK: Wha? What are you talking about? I just walked in with a full *something* of ingredients for my world-famous omelette!

SAM: World-famous huh? What's in it?

JACK: Eggs

SAM: I don't think that that actually qualifies as a recipe.

JACK: Oh don't kid yourself, there's a secret ingredient I can't tell you what it is or I'd have to shoot you.

SAM: It's beer isn't it?

Joe: You're Jack O'Neill.

JACK: Yes. Here's a better question. Who are you?

JOE: What didn't you like about it?

Charlene: Don't get me wrong, it was excitinig.It's just that personally I like stories more about interpersonal relationships and a little less about things blowing up.

Joe: Ok, how about you do your chores and then I'll finish the story?

Andy: Chores? What are we? Amish?

Joe: IT's NOT CONFUSING, IT'S COMPLEX!

Client:[seen the shaking razor blade in Joe's hand] yeah...edge of my seat the whole time.

Charlene: [...]You're seeking immortality through creativity.

JOE: Honey, we can't afford a sports car.

CHARLENE: It's good thing. At least you won't be having an affair with a younger woman.

BErt: The Asguard? Those little grey guys! Right!

Bert: What about the Furlings? Are we ever gonna hear about them?

Gordy: Furlings? That sounds cute. Like Ewoks.

Cindy: That poor woman [LAira] Do you think she was with child?

JOE: You'll just have to wait until the sequel.

Gordy: See. I'm not sure you should have sent in this one about Seth. It wasn't one of your best.

Bert: They rejected "Hathor"?! Oh but it was gold!

Andy: Dad! You gotta see this!

TV: Prepare for an Xtreme adventure!... [Wormhole Xtreme trailer]

Andy: There's no such thing as original thought anymore.We're all just regurgitating the same old ideas
            welding them into a giant melting-pot of mediocrity.

client: Hey what happened to that lawsuit you guys were having against that show? What was it called again?

JOE: Wormhole Xtreme. Nah. I was cancelled after only one episode.

Gordy: Bad ratings

Bert: I liked it.

JOE: SG-1 finds out there's a giant asteroid headed towards Earth.

CLIENT: I saw the movie. It hits Paris.

CLIENT: Look, no offence but how many times can these people save the world from Apophis?
            What's it up to now? five, six times?

JOE: This is about Anubis. Apophis is dead!

CLIENT: WHat's the diff?

CHarlene: Honey I need to talk to you.

JOE: just a second, I'm in the zone.

JOE: Once I publish a story, land an agent, things will get better.

CHARLENE: 326 That's how many rejection letters you've received.

JOE: You only need one 'yes'.

JOE: You haven't even read them all!

CHArlene: I read "Holyday", "The light", "Sentinel"

JOE: Ok, I admit those may have been a few misteps.

JOE: On the whole they're getting better aren't they

CHARLENE: I don't know

JOE : What do you think the problem is? Tell me.

CHARLENE: Well for one, it seems to me like the team interaction isn't what it used to be in the beginning

JOE: NO! *Sobbing histerically* He can't be gone! He's dead. Daniel's DEAD.

Gordy *sweeps and sweeps*

Bert: Gordy, you're wearing out the floor.

Mailman: Call them up. Tell them what you know. If it's true...

Joe: are you kidding? I'd disappear in a heartbeat.Believe me. If the government didn't get me the NID is sure to. I've seen it happen. D'you remember Armin Sellick?

JOE: *sees scene from Abyss with Daniel and Jack in cell* YES! Yahhahaha! yes! YES! Charlene! You won't believe it! Honey it's incredible! Daniel's still alive!

JOE: Charlene, I don't nee a shrink.

Joe: Jack O'NEill is head of Stargate Command.

Charlene: THERE IS NO STARGATE COMMAND!

Joe: Oh my God! They're figthting in Antartica! For Earth's very survival!Anubis' fleet is in orbit above us right now!

CHARLENE: Joe, stop. It's not real!

Joe: You don't understand! If Jack can't find a way to use the Ancients weapon technology in time we're all dead!

CHARLENE: Good by Joe.

Jack: OK look. This obviously isn't your forte. [...] I know your gun isn't real. However mine is ((a gun in the kitched drawer? Paranoi? Justified I believe ))

Joe: You're Brigadier General Jack O'Neill, head of Stargate Command at Cheyenne Mountiain. You used to command SG-1 which is now lead by Lt. Col. Samantha Carter[...] You have a thing for the Simpsons, Fishing, Mary Steenburger, the colour peridot and you're a terrible ping-pong player.

Jack: Have we met?

Joe: My name is Joe Spencer I'm a Barber [..] tell me it's real.

Jack: First of all Joe, I'm not a terrible ping-pong player.

Joe: between you and me, I totally see the analogy. Burns as Goa'uld.

Jack: Thank you!

Joe: And don't worry, I won't say a word about your feelings for...

Jack: Shhh

Joe: This is such an honor! I don't know how to thank you for everything you've done for this planet. There are not enough words.

Sam: It's nice to meet you too...

Jack: Joe Spencer

Joe: I was particularly impressed that time you blew up that sun.

Sam:...well thank you. I had a little help.

Joe: and as far as that whole Pete Shanahan thing goes...*Jack stops him*
            Dr. Jackson! Can I just say, Thank goodness you're back! Not that Jonas was a bad guy. But after all you've been through together you belong here with SG-1!

Daniel: Thank you... Jack?

Jack: He's a barber.

Daniel: Walk into your house?

Jack: yeah...

Daniel: Second week in a row.

Jack: Mmmh hmm

Daniel: Alarm.

Jack: I's thinking 'dog'.

Joe: You could try locking your front door.

Sam: Initial tests show that Joe posesses the same Ancient gene that you do.

Joe: And I want you to know, if you ever need me to work that chair device in Antartica in the defence of the planet, I'm there.

Jack: Thank you.

Joe *to Teal'c* I know the hair makes you look different but didn't you use to be more Gold colored?

Joe: that's why it was so easy to write the stories! It was like someone had already done the job.

Jack: And you say they all got rejected?

Sam: Shouldn't General O'Neill have been able to see elements of Joe' life as well?

Daniel: theoretically, yes he would.

Jack: Bowling league? Thursday night?

Joe: You saw that?

Jack: You got game son.

Daniel: Wait a minute Jack. You've been seing parts of the life of a barber in Indiana and you never mentioned it?

Jack: yeah...

Daniel: you didn't find that the least bit odd?

Jack: Actually no. I found it quite relaxing.
            May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

i loved this for a clip(ish) ep. It was so funny having homer on-of all the guests they coulda used.

It was interesting seeing this guy put up with the visions and it was also interesting seeing ordinary people with the ATA gene. And the simpsons references where great.

It was also funny to see the writers take the mick out of some of the episodes, and jonas aswell, and the whole saving the world thing. Brilliant episode, my favorite clip episode from any show so far!
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

What a blast! Hilarious! As one who once drove everyone around her to dispair from her constant state of fic reading/writing rapture, I could totally relate to Joe.

And didn't he make the ultimate fanboy?

You guys are getting better and better with the clip shows. Kudos.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Time for a reaaally long (sorry, got carried away) review of:

"Citizen Joe" - The Lost Chronicles of SG-1

When watching "Citizen Joe" for the first time, I was instantly reminded of Star Trek Voyager's episode "Muse", where Torres crashlands on a planet and has to assist a playwright to please his patron so he will turn away from his warplans. So she creates a story by incorporating aspects of her life on Voyager into the play, and in the end the patron is pleased.
                  What happens in "Citizen Joe" seems much more negative at first: When Joe appears at Jack's house, he claims that Jack has ruined his life. Indeed, things didn't go quite well for him. But this is Stargate, and by the end of the episode we get the feeling that things will change again, this time maybe for good.

But the main similarity in the two episodes is their take on metadrama, the demonstration of storytelling itself. And they both do a real good job.
                  Artists sooner or later start talking about art. Strange? Well, not really. We all like to talk about ourselves, and art is a form of self-expression. When dramatists write about drama, it's called metadrama - a play within a play.

"Citizen Joe" is not only a great piece about the power of drama in the Stargate world, but a demonstration of the impact that fiction can have on us.

It shows how close the characters have grown to us over the years, that we can care about them in a similar way we can care about real life people.
                  It also shows what makes a compelling show: interesting plot, conflict, motivation - the essence of good storytelling. As Joe defends it: "it's not confusing, it's complex."
                  Throughout the episode a lot of little things are mentioned, some of them the same little things you often read here (GW forum) and elsewhere in the net. The fan reaction (astonishment, affection, admiration, but also criticism and dislike) to writer's decisions was nicely displayed by the various people in Joe's environment: his son, his wife, his customers and finally, also SG-1. He comes as close to the characters as you can get, with nothing in between, he can comment directly on their actions, feelings, relationships, even their (lack of) make-up. And gets a few puzzled looks in the process..
                  We as an audience can voice our opinion through the internet, but the interaction with the characters on a more direct level is left to the writers. So partly it's about what the fandom demands when they are writing letters, mounting campaigns, writing fanfic or reviews: being the muse. Participation. But as we can see, TPTB are aware of us, and they have intertwined our -sometimes very differing- opinions into an lighthearted yet insightful episode, thereby allowing us to join the story itself.
                  Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

quotes, this episode was great for quotes, it was a really funny episode, this is what makes me love sg1 so much.

i thought it was just like jack to not think about imaging a barbers life wierd and the door thing-omg, you should try locking the front door.

one of my favorite episodes!
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Other stuff that didn't fit anywhere specific:

Continued beautiful use of footage without getting the feeling of a clipshow. I liked this style when they used it on Atlantis and they have adopted it well.
                      It was great to see some freakin' Goa'ulds again, even if it was just footage. Gotta miss the glowy eyes...

Hey, they even mentioned Jonas.

More funny things included Jack's line about his ping pong skills (heh, we know how that went), Dan Castellaneta in his Homer Simpson pose on the couch, then the line about people breaking into Jack's house (D: "Second week in a row. Alarm." Jack: "I'm thinking dog." Joe: "You could try locking your front door."). Also, good to know that Wormhole X-Treme now rests in the dark, deep hole where it belongs.

As a sidenote, I thought it was an interesting observation on the profession of writing: how a tv show can affect its writer when it slowly sneaks into his day-to-day routine and affects his family life as he becomes more obsessed with his characters and plots...

However, there are a few aspects I was not so fond of, particularly the explanation of how Joe could get the juicy details from O'Neill's (bullet-point free ) reports. While he could have known Jack's feelings when he was sitting over his reports, he couldn't have known about "the whole Pete Shanahan thing",
                      or the amount of gold on Teal'c's skin, as this certainly wouldn't be included. Unless O'Neill spent some time thinking about it. But I wont quibble over semantics, they managed to include a prop back from season 1 and made good use of the ancient gene.

What was with that telephone thing at the beginning? Remember Cassie's birthday in "Rite of Passage": Sam had to *buy* a cake instead of baking it herself, but now she knows the housewive's secret ingredient for omelettes? I couldn't believe it...

And the last scene...aaaargh. It's always the same: they're sitting at a public place and Jack is about to tell the story of "It's all true, you know. Yadda yadda". No-one has learned anything. On the other hand, the scene certainly looks nicer in the park than in the SGC, so I'll go with esthetics this time.
                      Life is short. Eat dessert first.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader
                        That was one of the best episodes EVER !!!!
                        Errrrr.... no.

Comment

I LOVED this episode!!!!!!

Now we know why Jack's been progressively dumber! He must have thought he was a wacko!

It must have been kind of like Teal'c in Changeling.

LOVED Dan Castellanetta!!!!!

I'd give this episode 8/10!
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

i'm thinking that that whole thing with people looking the same after all those years might be a simpsons joke in itself

Comment

I'm really surprised at how many people loved it!!!
                              As a clip show, I suppose it isn't the worst - but... oh how much I hated this ep. It could be part of the general lethargy and apathay I'm feeling towards Stargate this season, but for me this was worse than Prometheus Unbound.

But I'm glad it has so much support. And Jack did look lovely at the end.
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I like this ep alot.

In fact, I looked upon it as a definate nod from the writers towards us.
                                Hell, some lines were straight out of this forum!!

Wasn't too keen on Dan Castana-whatsits at first, but he really grew on me. Boy, he looks like Burns outta the Simpsons!!!

As I watched it, it seemed as if that's how it would be if one of us guys ever got onto the set of SG - the shippers got the Pete Shanahan line, the DJers got the 'you belong in the team' line, the Jonas fans got their mention and of course the 'teamsters' would lament the lack of 'interaction in the team that there used to be'...

Loved the scene with Joe's distress at Daniel's death - hell, no one actually DID that in the actual episode and so it was like the writers were giving us the reaction some of us wanted. OK, me then.

Well written and a damned good Clip show. Thumbs up to TPTB.
                                You guys in the US will love it.
                                7/10 for me.
                                Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge!

Comment

Working...
                                X