No announcement yet.

Threads (818)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There we were, one mid-40s woman and one 18 year daughter shouting 'Noooo' at the tv.
    Ah no more Jack and Sam pleeeese, there's no onscreen chemistry.
    For chemistry at least one of the pair needs to look longingly and/or lustfully at the other. How many times has that happened onscreen? Not often.
    Disappointing episode, MS was good/excellent but we spotted that Anubis was the other guy in the diner pretty quick. And just how did he get back to earth alive, though strangely hairless. Who sent him back?
    Ah yes, that well known ancient, goauld,higher being known as Great Lord Plotte de Vice.
    Poor Pete and Poor Jacob and why didn't Jack go to talk to his old friend at his deathbed? And...where was Sam's brother?
    Too many holes in this story. I enjoyed the last two as well - here's hoping that next weeks is up to expectations.
    Did anyone notice that Threads was filmed in late Spring?

Norma
    How do I join the Chevron Guy Fan club?
    Walter, the Radar O'Reilly of SGC

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
      Jeez, did the squees from the shippers break the board?? *g*

What did everyone think??
      That was kinda my thought too...
      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

well she said "i cant kill you, but i can fight you and YOU HAVE to fight me"....think about it, she knew it was at a critical point in the battle, and she forced anubis into some kind of fight, the fact that he was in that half-ascended plane fighting oma meant that he couldnt coordinate his kull warriors or activate the weapon, that was omas intention!

oma wouldnt have killed anubis, but what the others' reaction would have been i do not know.

as for jack and sam, i think the writers deliberatly left it so it wasnt clear cut...id imagine that jack might retire at the end of the series or something so he can shack up with sam

ahhhhh, brilliant episode it was...

Comment

When Oma says..I can fight you..I think it means that he will be occupaied with fighting Oma and he could not control that Kull (or how do you write) warriors and can't be halfasnded in mean time. On the end they talk that warriors become disoriented and so...

She has all the time in space o anubis can't retourn unles she stops fighting him.

Looks like zeta was faster for a minute with similar answer..

Comment

I was kind of expecting more of an explosion myself. I guess the P/S shippers are probably sunk in a state of depression and the anti-shippers are still foaming at the mouth, so they can't type yet.

Must admit that I had almost decided not to come post myself on this one. Kind of feels mean going on about how much you enjoyed an episode when the reason you enjoyed it is a source of angst for another section of fans. Feels like rubbing in the pain really.

But then my brain started composing a post and when it gets down to that, I know it's not going to let up till I write it down. So...there you are. Don't shoot me. I'm a J/S shipper, so I loved it.

I've now read the other posts. Interesting. I don't have time to go back and hook out some of Madelaine's quotes. But I find it fascinating how two people can watch the same scene and get so much difference out of it. I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of Sam's behaviour.

As regards Sam's not being able to summon up a smile when Daniel returned. I didn't see any grimace. I saw someone embarrassed at being confronted with a half naked colleague and not knowing where to put her eyes. And come on - give the woman a break. She's in mourning. Her father just died. I'd have trouble working up to a smile too. In fact, one thing I did feel about that scene was that Sam was too upbeat and there should have been a more sombre beat to it, considering that Jacob/Selmac had just shuffled off the mortal coil. But, of course, that would have been hard to fit in, in a lightly comic scene.

Nor did I see what you did in the scene with Pete. I saw a woman who had - with good cause - expected her fiance to be angry with her decision. Most men would have reacted that way and struck out at Sam because they were wounded. I saw a woman who was surprised and taken aback that he was being so understanding and was a little overwhelmed by that generosity of spirit and caught off balance. She probably had all kinds of things worked out in her head that she was going to say in response to anger - what she expected. But since she hadn't expected another reaction from him, she was suddenly at a loss as to how to respond. And by the time she was over that confusion, Pete was already leaving, so she'd little chance to pull it together.

I agree with the poster who wanted to see Jack say his goodbyes to Jacob. Considering how close they've been over the years, it was a little bit of an omission. But then we all know that Jack's not really comfortable with the whole deathbed confession stuff. And, hey, I guess that's always what fanfic is for. Filling in those missing moments.

Not even gonna touch Norma's lack of sparks. Again, fascinating how people can see things differently. I could never see a sign of any sparkage between Pete and Sam - but I know many fans thought it was lighting up the sky with fireworks when they were on screen. So it comes as no surprise that the opposite is true between what I see when Jack and Sam are on screen together and what others do.

For myself, what I've always loved especially about the Jack and Sam relationship in SG1 was that it was refreshingly subtle. For the most part. <g> I liked that it was all in the eyes or the tone of voice and that sometimes you had to look hard for it before recognising it was there. That's what's always made it so appealing for me. But, of course, as with all aspects of the show - YMMV.
            Albion
            Last edited by Albion; 09 February 2005, 01:32 AM.
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
              Good episode, rushed ending. Way too many stories to try and wrap up in the last 10 minutes of the episode.
              How exactly was the ending rushed? The entire episode was 20 minutes longer than usual. I don't think they intended to wrap everything up.

Anubis' fate is implied - he and Oma are locked in eternal conflict.

Daniel will explain what he knows/remembers off camera. No real point to rehash what the audience is already aware of.

Jacob's death scenes were drawn out long enough.

Jack and Sam's feelings for each other still have to be worked out and reach their logical conclusion. The fact that she finally accepted his invitation to "go fishing" with him says a lot. The fact that Teal'c and Daniel are there to chaperone their "first date" means they're still not ready to come right out and profess their love for each other.
              To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Recap continued - I've probably missed stuff out and mucked up the order of a few things. So apologies in advance.

Daniel is still in the diner watching everyone; he gets talking to the fat old guy that told they me when was ascended before. Daniel tells him that he can’t stand by a let Anubis destroy everything. The old guy jumps up and yells that they should stop Anubis. Someone should do something about it.

Carter gets out of the car with her eyes closed; Pete has a surprise for her. When she opens her eyes, they are standing in front of a house with a for sale sign. Pete is really excited (when isn’t he); he doesn’t notice that Sam isn’t as excited. His mistakes her shock for something else. He rushes off, telling her that she has to see the back yard and the dog will love it. As he leaves a confused Carter saying, “Dog?”

The old guy and Daniel are talking about why Daniel gave up ascension. The guy tells Daniel to ask Oma why he decided to take human form again.

Carter is sitting in a car in a driveway, she gets out and walks round the side of the house. Where we see Jack cooking some meat on the bbq, did I say cooking? I meant burning. Jack asks Carter why she’s there. Carter says that she has been sitting in his driveway for ten minutes, trying to work up the courage for a lot longer. She thinks she’s making a mistake marrying Pete. Jack doesn’t know what to say. She’s about to say something else when they are interrupted by Kerry coming out talking to Jack about not being able to find something. Kerry and Carter are introduced. Kerry notes, “This is awkward.” Jack didn’t want anyone at the sgc to know about them. Kerry tells Carter that she may as well stay now that she’s here. Carter gets a phone call – her father is ill and she needs to get back to the base.

Oma asks Daniel what’s holding him back from ascending.

Jacob is in the infirmary. He tells Carter that Selmeck is dying; he should have died weeks ago. He’s in a coma, has been since the temple. Jacob is dying. He didn’t want to spoil the wedding for her but he’s held out as long as he can.

Daniel is talking to the old guy about ascension. Seems to be a common theme! He asks the old guy how Anubis managed to partially ascend. The old guy says that it is possible that Oma helped him. Oma overhears the conversation and kicks the old guy out. You get the impression he isn’t her favourite person.

Carter can’t understand why the Tokra aren’t helping but apparently it’s too late for the symbiote when to be removed. Jacob should have died years ago. He tells Sam not to let rules stand in her way. That she joined the Air Force because of him. She disagrees with this. He tells her that she can still have everything she wants.

Jack is in his office, Kerry asks about Jacob as she walks in and closes the door. Kerry tells him that they are good together; he agrees but senses a but. She says he has issues, which is ok, but there is one big issue that she doesn’t think she can get over. They’ll still be able to work together? Because she really doesn’t want to request a transfer. She goes to leave but then asks if the Air Force is the only thing keeping them apart. Why doesn’t he retire? A civilian has run the sgc before. She leaves him thinking about what she has said.

Daniel confronts Oma on why she helped Anubis. Daniel shouts that Oma has been punished enough. That haven’t enough innocents suffered for their punishment of Oma? They ignore him. We do learn that Daniel or Oma can’t kill Anubis.

Jack joins Carter in the observation room, as she watches over Jacob – the Tokra have arrived by this point. Jack asks her if she’s ok. She’s fine because she’s been closer to her father in the past four years than the rest of her life. Jack puts an arm round her; she rubs his hand and thanks him for being there. He replies that he’ll always be there for her. Jacob calls for Carter, she goes to him and kisses his forehead. He slips away. Jack is watching from the observation room.

Back in the Diner the older guy is back asking Daniel if he’s seen the paper. Anubis will soon get his hands on the weapon. Daniel notices that the guy seems to be getting some perverse sort of pleasure out of all this. It turns out that the fat old guy is Anubis. Boy doesn’t he look really evil laughing manically like that.

Carter and Pete are back at the house that he’s bought. There is now a sold sign on it. They are in the process of breaking up. Carter is surprised that he’s being so – for want of a better word calm about this. He asks her what she wants? Him to get down on his knees and beg. She tells him no. In the end he tells her he hopes she gets what she wants before ripping off the sold sign as he leaves.

Anubis has the weapon; they don’t have time to send through a nuclear bomb. They put up the Iris as something is trying to get through the stargate; it’s an energy signature so they can’t stop it. Jack authorises the self- destruct to be set.

Daniel tries to stop Anubis but he can’t. Oma turns to her proper form – Anubis tells her that she can’t kill him, she agrees but she can stop him. He’ll have to use all his energy to fight her; he won’t be able to do anything else. The both turn into balls of light, as the rest of the diner watch them fighting. Finally something makes them move!

The stargate on earth shuts down suddenly, the self-destruct is still blaring. Jack orders it to be shut off.

No one knows what happened but the Kull warriors were easy to defeat once they didn’t have a leader. The Jaffa have managed to defeat them. Many died; they agree that the weapon should be destroyed. In its place they are going to erect a memorial to the dead. They then here Daniel’s voice, Jack checks that he isn’t the only one that heard it.

He goes to his office, and finds Daniel who tells him not to come in. Jack jumps out. He hovers at the door looking for something, then pulls down a flag and throws it into the room. Daniel emerges holding the flag around his waist. Carter looks at him then looks away quickly, then sneaks a peek again.

We are then at a Cabin, Jacks Cabin. Carter says, “I can’t believe we didn’t do this years ago…” Carter and Jack are sitting together fishing. They cast their lines. Carter says there really aren’t any fish are there? The camera pulls back and we see Daniel and Teal’c coming round the side of the cabin with their stuff. They sit down a little way away from Jack and Sam who are on the dock.

The end.

Comment

I didn't like it very much. It was OK, but way too overhyped. Thoughts:

* No way did that need to be feature length. It felt like they were dragging out the scenes just to make it fit an hour and a half. As a result, a lof of the conversations felt like they went on forever.

* Jacob/Selmak dying. Ridiculous. His character has been an integral part to the show and thats the send off he gets?!?! Sam's dad just died!! And there she is smiling and fishing at the end. Stupid, he should have stayed alive.

* Anubis. Errr... that's it?!?!?!!? After all that, the Anubis storyline gets thrown out the window just like that?! Sorry but I now wish that he had died the way he did in Lost City. WAY more satisfying.

* No more Pete. Another stupid idea. He was a good guy and the way he was treated by Sam was ridiculous. I bet you anything Jack and Sam aren't even going to get together! TPTB are just going to dance around the issue and tease us every so often like they have done for the past 8 years. Just FINISH the storyline!!!

* Kerry I think her name was. She had what, 2 scenes before she broke up with Jack? I was like.. "Oh, meh didn't really know her".

5/10. Disappointing.

Also, I'm sick of ascension!!! I'm also sick of EVERY SINGLE piece of new technology as "originally created by the Ancients". It's bad enough we now have a new series that might as well be called Stargate: The Ancients.

Finally,

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                  How exactly was the ending rushed? The entire episode was 20 minutes longer than usual. I don't think they intended to wrap everything up.
                  The ending was rushed. The storyline's were resolved in the last 5-10minutes.

Anubis' fate is implied - he and Oma are locked in eternal conflict.
                  Nothing as important as this should ever have to only be 'implied'. How do you know that's what's happened? Eternal conflict? No one knows.

Jack and Sam's feelings for each other still have to be worked out and reach their logical conclusion. The fact that she finally accepted his invitation to "go fishing" with him says a lot. The fact that Teal'c and Daniel are there to chaperone their "first date" means they're still not ready to come right out and profess their love for each other.
                  Funny I saw the fact that Teal'c and Daniel were there COMPLETELY destroyed the scene for shippers. They were'nt chaperoning. They were there having a team day out.
                  Last edited by mancslad08; 09 February 2005, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanaM
                    Disagree.

She was already at Jack's house to confess all regarding her feelings for him 'before' she knew Jacob was dying.
                    (I tried to put this into spoiler mode but it did not work so sorry to anyone who feels 'spoiled')

Agree with everything else though
                    Excellent point about Sam. I'd forgotten the timing of it all.

But Jacob's advice about living life to the fullest still has more impact from the deathbed.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

I don't think they did kill off Anubis. Oma said she couldn't kill him. She could only engage him in a perpetual battle, both of them locked in fighting the other, so that he couldn't do any more damage to the universe. Both of them are equally matched, in other words, neither can win. But it effectively ties up Anubis and keeps him out of trouble. Probably for eternity.

Which, of course, gives TPTB a way to bring him back if they feel they need to. Personally, Anubis never did anything for me. He always reminded me of a pantomine villain. Ba'al now...Ba'al is spooky. With a delicious sense of irony. They can carry him through to S9 and I won't complain.

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Albion is right, but the producers do keep on changing their minds about Sam's love life. Offn'on'n'off again
                        Thinking back on last night, Pete did exactly all the wrong things to try to make Sam happy. I'm just a little bit older than Sam and I wouldn't have like a man to make decisions for me like that.
                        Though in the Stargate worlds, Sam and Jack have always been made for each other - each alternate reality has them together after all. But not enough overt onscreen chemistry for me, but then I'm not subtle.
                        OK, bring on the moebius strips.
                        I'll miss Jacob though - does this mean it's the end of the Tok'ra links? I hope not, sexy voices, sexy clothes.
                        I liked the fishing bit at the end. But now with this SG1 togetherness, it's going to go when RDA leaves. Shame.
                        Norma

Comment

Funny I saw the fact that Teal'c and Daniel were there COMPLETELY destroyed the scene for shippers.
                          Well, I can't talk for all shippers, but it certainly didn't destroy anything for this one. I found it a cute scene. And the fact that it was the team there made it sweeter for me. If they'd added some dialogue from Daniel and Teal'c, I'd have been more than happy with this being the final ever scene we got from the show. [Not that I'm not still ecstatic we have a S9 and will get more SG.<G>]

But then I'm out of sync in many ways, I know, with a lot of J/s shippers. I like it just the way it is on screen and I really wouldn't like to see anything more definite there. So long as they don't kill off Jack or Sam, or have Sam marrying Pete and off on honeymoon, I'm content. So long as I know they have a future together - at some point in the future - that's all I need.

I'm also with those who didn't think the ending was rushed at all. I found Oma's solution to dealing with Anubis courageous and poignant. Locked in eternal, perpetual battle - that's some sacrifice for the good of the universe. I've never really liked or been interested in Oma, as I said in my other post, but at that moment I admired her greatly.

Albion
                          Last edited by Albion; 09 February 2005, 01:52 AM.

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Intersting side note: The newspaper Daniel is given early on has an article that is headlined "Wraith on way to Atlantis!"

-IMF
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I enjoyed this ep. The Daniel/oma scences could have been better IMO.

The ship.... Ok it looks like it might work out ok between J/S. But Jack NEEDS to retire before it goes further. I'm hopping this is what will happen. If he does not: well i'll be throwing things at the TV.

Jacob's dying. There could have been more emotion from Sam in this. I'm dissapointed in the way that was played.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                                Nothing as important as this should ever have to only be 'implied'. How do you know that's what's happened? Eternal conflict? No one knows.
                                Actually, we do know.

Oma tells Daniel, "Anubis can't be killed - not by you, not by me." Anubis confirms this, saying to Oma, "You can't kill me either." Oma replies, "I can fight you ." Anubis: "Well, you can't win." Oma: "It won't matter. You won't be able to do anything but fight me back."

If that's not "implied" eternal conflict, then what did it mean to you?

Originally posted by Pknuts
                                Funny I saw the fact that Teal'c and Daniel were there COMPLETELY destroyed the scene for shippers. They were'nt chaperoning. They were there having a team day out.
                                I think you missed my point. In the course of the series, Jack has invited Carter to go fishing before; I don't recall any explicit invitations to Daniel and Teal'c for the same. The very fact that Teal'c and Daniel sit away from Carter and Jack does suggest they're giving them a bit of space.

Yes, it is a team day out as well but in the final scene, Sam and Jack are quite clearly the focal points, while Daniel and Teal'c play the supporting roles in the background and have no lines. It might have passed as any other team day out except for the earlier scene in the SGC infirmary where we see Jack putting his arm around Sam and she holds onto (and caresses!) his hand. You need to put scenes in the proper context.
                                To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Working...
                                X