No announcement yet.

Threads (818)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else notice they kept saying Jacob should have died 4 years ago? Can they not count it was 6!?
    I thought I'd heard Jacob say four in the infirmary, but just concluded I'd heard him wrong. Did Sam say four too, in the observation room? I haven't had a chance to watch for a second time yet - still trying to find a way to tactfully shoo my husband out of the house for a couple of hours.

Albion (who figures saying, "Hey, go get me some chocolate and wine - I'm celebrating..." just won't cut it somehow...)
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by somme
      Did anyone else notice they kept saying Jacob should have died 4 years ago? Can they not count it was 6!?
      I noticed that as well

Comment

What did you guys think of Jacobs death scence? I felt AT could have put more into it. She's very good at emotions. I.e S3 THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

Comment

great ep

liked the daniel/oma/jim/anubis stuff and the jaffa stuff
          didn't like jacob's pointless death and the ship stuff

they kinda left the JS ship ambiguous, they did't say at all that they are together, so the shippers get what they want and the non-shippers also get what they want.
          Last edited by shockwave; 09 February 2005, 03:50 AM.

Comment

What did you guys think of Jacobs death scence? I felt AT could have put more into it.
            I rather liked that it was somewhat understated. I didn't actually think that it was emotionless. I really liked the way she reacted to the sudden realisation that Jacob was going to die too and not just Selmac. That stammer, almost-can't-get-the-word-out, 'W...we...?" That was very effective, I thought, and closed up my throat too, listening to it. <sob>

I have to say that my opinion is probably tempered by the fact that I've never been impressed with AT's attempts to act crying. IMO she just can't do it. It's rarely seemed genuine to me. I think she's a terrific actress, don't get me wrong, adore her acting and Carter as a character. But that's one thing that I always cringe over when I see it.

And, too, I've never been a convert to the theory that to act emotion you have to collapse in floods of tears. When a show does it a little more cleverly than that - as they did here imo - for me it works far better and means a lot more.

Albion
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
              Well.

What was to dislike about this episode:

* The fact that that dopey SKY announcer still can't pronounce Teal'c. I swear, if she says T'alc one more time....I won't be responsible for my actions. Someone send that woman a pronunciation list!

Albion
              I have to say that I agree with most of your summary. Before the episode started I breathed a sigh of relief that the annoying SKY ONE woman would have no reason to say Teal'c because all episode descriptions for this episode focused on Daniel with a little bit of Sam and Jack. Though we knew the Jaffa rebels (or 'Free Jaffa Nation' as they are now called) would feature in the episode, I never thought she'd have the op to say Te'alc (i write it this way as this is how I perceive she reads it on her piece of paper) but she did and we all had to suffer. With the end of this rant before I start talking about the episode I would say that we should encourage her to actually watch an episode - if she had she'd know how to pronounce it.

THREADS

After the previous few episodes that have only gotten better and better, culminating in 'Reckoning Pt 2' last week, I will admit I probably had obscenely high expectations for this episode. For the most part they were fufilled, some aspects however were not.

I will admit that I am not a fan of the rebel jaffa storyline, though Teal'c's struggle to become other than a lowly shol'va and show all other jaffa what they could become is a worthy storyline. When all of the jaffa bestowed their highest honour upon Teal'c and Bra'tac I found myself getting strangely teary eyed. Why I do not know, but it was nice for these two men that have been outcasts for so long to be acknowledged for what we've seen them try to do for 8 years. Though why Teal'c was called Teal'c of the Tau'ri I am still unsure.

* The story for the Jaffa plodded along in this episode, but ultimately provided a reason for the Jaffa struggle to remain part of the Stargate Universe in season 9, i.e. as Bra'tac pointed out, they may have turned the tide in the Jaffa rebellion, but they spent so much time planning on how to get their brothers to listen, they did not plan sufficiently for what would happen when they did. This is a valid point, and I would have been very irritated if they suddenly became a cohesive unit so quickly. Uniting them may have been achieved, keeping them so will be more difficult. My biggest issue with this storyline however, was the trap Anubis set for the Jaffa that they easily fell into. Teal'c and Bra'tac in particular are seasoned warriors and I find it difficult to believe they would accept any intel about Anubis at face value. They lost many Jaffa, and although Anubis ultimately didn't succeed, their efforts showed their weakness and that they are nowhere near the formidable enemy they need to be to defeat all the Goa'uld.

* Ah Sam and Jack. For so many years we have looked towards some kind of resolution towards this storyline and my interest was certainly peaked when the 'Previously on Stargate...' revealed a hell of a lot of clips about their past relationship (esp the scene from upgrades where they're on Apophis' ship either side of the forceshield). Pete anoys me, always has, and I will do little to conceal this fact. His full clearance provided him the opportunity to meet Jacob and make an ass of himself. His attempts to ring her when she was at work was unprofessional and indicated where their future could be heading (and I'll be honest,it reminded me of many fanfics I've read where Sam finally got rid of Pete because of his possessiveness). It served the purpose, and I'm glad. As with many others I liked Kerry. She was honest, perceptive, intelligent and if I'd been that kind of person, the kind of woman you could see Jack with. We finally had another woman in the Stargate Universe who looked capable and wasn't presented with any of the Novak-like flaws. Its probable she knew for a while that something was holding Jack back, but it wasn't until she saw Sam and Jack's evident discomfort and unwillingness to admit their relationship. When she spoke to him at the end of the episode, two things came to my mind - she was presenting us with a reason he wouldn't be present in season 9, and also the possibility of her return. she implied her assignment was far from over, and I personally would like to see her again.

* Now to dear Daniel and Oma. The diner was unusal choice for the setup, but she said it was conjured from Daniel's mind so hey ho. To have her not talking in riddles was nice, though it only took once such riddle to provide enough proof to Daniel that she was real. She was offering the chance to ascend again, which was all well and good, but did she not realise that the choice previously made would repeat itself? She said Daniel's choice was ascension or death, but the decision was made difficult for him because he knew what Anubis was about to do and he could either die along with everyone else or accept ascension and watch as everyone was killed. How did she think this was a choice he would accept? evidently she had not learnt much from Daniel's previous ascension. She admitted she had not erased his memory as she was supposed to and I would suggest this was the reason the elders would not stop her trying to offer him ascension again.

As for Anubis/Jim I will willingly admit that I didn't think about who he really was, but his mention that they had come across each other before again lends itself to an answer to the quesiton of why Daniel chose to retake human form. If he had met Anubis before, if he recognised who he was during Full Circle and this was why Oma stopped him from doing anything makes a little more sense, but this was supposed to be the much hyped resolution to Daniel's fight with Anubis. Did he fight him? No. He may have helped Oma to reaslise her decision to help people ascend was meaningless if she didn't stop Anubis from killing everyone, so she did something, finally. Daniel found out why Anubis what he was, but it certailny wouldn't make me want to know the Ancients anymore!

* And alas poor Jacob. I realised when he said he was dying that he'd made up what Selmak had thought of Pete (we know he'd been in a coma since Dakara so there wasn't likely to be an opinion). Although I don't think the killing of Jacob was necessary, the fact that he chose to die with Selamk was fitting, as these two seemed to have the 'true symbiotic relationship' the Tok'ra often bleated on about. (QUESTION: was there some kind of weird ass time warp, as Sam and Jacob both said that he should have been dead 4 years ago. Quite strange really as it was season 2 he was about to die and became a Tok'ra. Someone's adding up ain't right as to me that's 6 years - ohh aren't I getting picky!) Jacob's death and Sam's reactionwere correct in my opinion - she realised she should have lost a dad she barely knew a long time ago. She was given a second chance with him and for that she was gratefull rather than sad. We realised we needed Selmak for the translation and weapon in Reckoning, but he could have stayed useful. Yet, with Tok'ra relationships as they were, what would have been the future for Jacob? I'm unsure the Tok'ra would have welcomed him back with open arms, but I doubt he would have been willing to stay on earth indefinitely.

His death reminded me of the speech Sam imagined him making in 'Grace'. He wants her to be happy and he knew the military was in some way hindering that. Whilst Kerry was telling Jack to retire, Jacob suggests that she doesn't have everything she wants, but could have. I'll add in at this point how much Sam and jack together touched me, and how tightly you could see her holding onto his hand. I got a little shiver.

And finally we reached the end. I'm assuming it was Oma who stopped the self destruct as she stopped Anubis. It actually grated on me a little that Teal'c and Bra'tac were at the SGC, as you would think if they thought the world was going to end that they would want to be with their brothers. They could have communicated anything they wanted to say via radio but they chose to be with the one group of people who could have plausibly found a way to protect themselves aginst the weapon. Just a little niggle, but hey.

as for the return of Daniel, it was funny, charming and make me smile - a lot. Though the smile of Bra'tac's face totally creeped me out!

all in all this was a good episode, and I wonder how they would have fitted it into 42 mins - the extra 20 were definitely needed IMHO. Though there was little action, when you sit it in between Reckoning and a season finale it does its job, and gives us an insight into the more human side of the characters. Jack and Sam, Daniel and his struggles with ascension, and Teal'c and his continuing battle for the Jaffa.

The fishing was perfect. I think it was important that all of the team was there, though the initial image of Sam and Jack will stay in my mind for a very long time. The way Daniel came up behind them at the end reminded me of a little kid with his parents, but this may just be me! Amanda Tapping always said the end would come if Sam actually went fishing, well she did and she was right, they should have done it years ago.

Comment

It was a so-so ep. After the excitment and thrills of Reckoning I expected more. I was kinda bored through most of it. Was the diner that Daniel was in the same set as the one they used on Dead like Me? (which was also shot at Bridge studios).

The only surprise was that 'Jim' was Anubis. And what Oma did at the end. Plus how did Daniel descend? I'd like it if we found out that he was able to descend himself.

But I was very disappointed in what they did with Sam. Sure I could see that it wasn't going to work with Pete as soon as he showed her that house. That house was everything that Sam isn't. When is she going to have time to look after a dog? Or have kids? It just isn't her. Not at this point in her life, if ever. And as much as they try to shoehorn Sam into some sort of female cliche of 'having a family is my greatest fulfillment' it just doesn't work for me. That's not who Sam is or ever will be, anymore than Catherine was that sort of woman.
                sigpic

Comment

I guess this belongs here. The way it sounds that Carter ended it with pete is very diasppointing for me as a Carter fan (just a reminder that I am not a shipper or an anti-shipper, I really do not care either way if they get together).

I am very glad she left pete though, just disappointed in how they had her leave him.
                  I have been of the mind that, IMO, for Carter to be redeemed from the debacle that is pete she would have to have left pete because she felt he was the wrong person for her, he was too controlling, etc., (as evidenced by his behaviour in second half of chimera and his buying the house without her input being what obviously put her over the edge) but TPTB missed this golden opportunity to redeem Carter while at the same time freeing her up to continue the shippy stuff. The unfortunate thing is that, in my view, TPTB could have had their cake and eaten it too if they had shown Carter leave pete for HER own reasons (reasons that were NOT Jack) and then have the shippy stuff with Jack and Carter. This, sad as it is for me to say, pretty much, puts the proverbial nail in the coffin and it's time for me to move on when TPTB cannot even grasp that there is such a problem with this character and they had the perfect opportunity to do two things with one episode - fix the Carter debacle from chimera AND have the shippers happy but instead, they take the road that finally and completely alienates some of the loyal, longtime fans to the point where it is not worth my time to stay with the show. (I am not talking about the anti-shippers here I am talking about plain old regular fans like me who have no investement in the J/S ship either way.)

MY bet for S9 - either Carter becomes a civilian or, if she remains in the military, they do take command away from Carter and give it to Mitchell (Browder). I see what they have done to this character as the set-up for her either voluntarily giving up the command or for taking it away from her. She has made too many mistakes, too many dumb, out of character decisions and she has let her emotions run her as opposed to her controlling her emotions. I see many of the silly and foolish things she has done since mid-season 7 as immature things a much younger CAPTAIN Carter would have done in seasons 1-3 or so - NOT things a much more (so I would have thought) mature LT. COLNEL Carter should be doing after 7-8 years of saving the world umpteen times. As I said before, if I were under her command as she is right now I would not feel comfortable going out on any mission with her as leader (now the Foothold Carter, or the Enemies Carter, I would have followed her into any battle.) Just my opinion.

I am tired of waiting for them to fix this (yes pete's gone but they left Carter hanging out to dry and swinging in the wind -- AGAIN) especially since this golden opportunity passed and they probably won't have another opportunity to fix the pete debacle created by Carter's acceptance of his abhorrent behaviour since he's gone now. Thanks for listening to my rant - hope you all have fun. BYE.

Comment

Why did they have to get rid of Anubis just after revealing his whole new persona?

He is a comedic genius.

I've got a feeling he will return in the long run maybe not in the SG1, It would be pretty cool to see him in the Pegasus galaxy, maybe leading the useless Gennai into a decent takeover of Alantis.

Ive also got a feeling that the new Free Jaffa nation(couldnt they come up with a better name than that?) will be a handful in the future getting in the way of SG1 in their pursuit of power. I hope to god theyre not the main villans in the next season maybe a couple of episodes

Comment

good show, good show...these ascended ancients are starting to get on my nervs!!! i think they have a superiority complex. usually englightenment means ur nicer to people, i would think they would try to help others....blah....lets see what season 9 brings about these folks.
                      come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                        Excellent point about Sam. I'd forgotten the timing of it all.

But Jacob's advice about living life to the fullest still has more impact from the deathbed.
                        I also agree. IMO, this is like the Janet death. TPTB thought the death would be good to show, and then they used it to round out the relationship stuff. Someone said that Jacob was sacrificed on the alter of ship. I don't think it is fair to say the ship instigated the death for TPTB, but rather, the death was planned and then used to further Sam / Jack's relationship.

Frankly, the S/J thing has survived years without killing off Jacob, and there were endless comical possibilities of seeing Jacob and Jack interact if the S/J ship came out in the open. Jacob and Jack did very interacting with each other, and I was looking forward to those scenes.

I also absolutely *loved* the Jacob character, and frankly I find the death of Jacob to be senseless. I agree with whoever said that TPTB have found a new penchant for killing off beloved characters whenever they think the series is ending.

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL)
                          What did you guys think of Jacobs death scence? I felt AT could have put more into it. She's very good at emotions. I.e S3 THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.
                          I haveto say I thini I disagree, she mad epeace iwth him before he died. It was a eally touching scene, i think screaming and collapsing in tears would have been over the top, I think the way amanda did it was brilliant and very sweet, I also think Jack being sad about it helped the whole scene even more. I think that was my second favourite scene of the whole thing. It was a really moving moment.

Comment

I don't know what's worse, the entirity of Threads, or the fact that the shippers here are going to be unbearable for the next month.

Basically the episode had 4 parts:

The Tea'c/Bra'tac/Jaffa stuff which kicked ass. Loved every second of it.

The Sam/Jacob stuff which sucked, 'cause they killed Jacob. And what's this 4 years crap? He's been a Tok'ra since Season 2.

The Daniel/Oma/Anubis stuff, which was awesome right up to the point where it started to suck, which was about when Oma went Super-Sayan on Anubis and then... nothing. They explode and... what? Anti-climactic doesn't quite describe what happened there.

The Sam/Jack/Pete stuff. God... words cannot describe how I feel about this.

Maybe this will do:

TPTB should stick with 43 minutes an ep. That way there's less time for them to screw it up. All 90 minutes did was kill Jacob and make every Shipper's wet dream come true.

This episode gets 3/10.

2 because the Jaffa stuff was cool, and 1 becuase the totally misleading teaser with Ba'al and Anubis was very cool, and promised lots of stuff (even if none of that stuff happened).

BYE
                            "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Gotta say I'm kinda annoyed. First of all they didn't show Atlantis because of this 90 minute episode which didn't need to be 90 mins because they could of cut out all the dawsons creek rubbish.

Second of all Jack and Sam do not make a good couple there's no chemistry between them it's like they're brother and sister and to be honest I've seen Jack show more emotion for Teal'c. Although I'll admit that scene where Jack put his arm around Sam did make me think twice but overall I still think it wouldn't work.

Third of all the ending seemed a bit rushed. Did the rebel Jaffa take back Takara? What happened to Oma/Anubis? Will Jacob get a memorial service? Who sent Daniel back? Although, I suppose they might wrap things up later.

With all that said I did enjoy parts of this episode: Oma/Daniel, the Jaffa and the Jacob/Selmak bits (Btw when did Selmak become a "He"). I really hope Oma and Anubis survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                                * Anubis. Errr... that's it?!?!?!!? After all that, the Anubis storyline gets thrown out the window just like that?! Sorry but I now wish that he had died the way he did in Lost City. WAY more satisfying.
                                I have to agree. I wanted Anubis to be alive at the end of Lost City, and they could do a big two-parter with his return. Interestingly, I titled the story (in my head, I never wrote it), 'Reckoning'. And, lo and behold, I got 'Reckoning', and the return of Anubis.

And then we got that as an ending to it. Oma crash tackles a fat man and some inserted FX and... that's it. WTF? Anubis has been the Big Bad since Season 5 and that's the send off he gets? What a waste...

Then again, it's not the first time a great bad guy with fantastic character potential has been killed off - Tannith anyone?

Originally posted by Pknuts
                                They were'nt chaperoning. They were there having a team day out.
                                Only a shipper from this site would say that Danny and T were being chaperones. It's almost laughable.

BYE
                                Last edited by AlphaBlu; 09 February 2005, 05:34 AM.
                                "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Working...
                                X