No announcement yet.

Reckoning, Part 2 (817)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

six is the hard hard one to identifiy ti could be just about any planet they've been to...

Looks Demon-y to me...
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
      six is the hard hard one to identifiy ti could be just about any planet they've been to...

Looks Demon-y to me...
      Here is a list of the planets gates - the 6th one did get me, I thought it was One False Step or Demons, but not sure:

Juna Gate (Double Jeopardy)

Chulak (Family)

Unknown Planet (Forever In A Day)

Can’t remember name (Past and Present)

Handate (Prisoners)

At first I thought it was the gate from “One False Step)

Earth

Also of note – the second gate clip should not have been used, as there is no longer any Serpent Guards around as far as we know!

Comment

The planet from Past and Present was Vyus. And I also thought that the sixth one was from One False Step.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

This was such a great episode. wow did i love it. i cannot wait for threads.

both atlantis and sg1 have been picking up serious steam as their seasons come to a close.

good job tptb!
          come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Wow, thanks Blend! That was awesome.

Is #5 definitely from Prisoners? I haven't seen that one in a while, but that thing off to the left in the picture looks like one of those Ancient Gate-radiation-shooting-things that Anubis used in Redemption 1 & 2 to make the SGC gate blow up, doesn't it?

Thanks again for the screen caps! I totally died at the moment when all the gates dialed, it was just a great little moment, felt so warm!

Comment

We're back!! Woohoo!!!

Well, here's my (delayed) thoughts on Reckoning II. It was written just a couple of hours after watching the show, so you'll have to forgive the shellshocked tone. I've calmed down a bit now. <g> Still adored it though.

Wow.

I'll say that again.

Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

This was one awesome episode. It was more than awesome. Awesome just doesn't do it justice. It was...epic. I'm still in a state of shock! How the heck did they manage to pack all of that into one hour?!? It felt more like three. I really felt as though I'd just watched a movie by the credits and couldn't believe I'd only been there an hour.

Things that were great about this episode:

* Carter, Jacob and Selmac working as a team to solve the problem of the hidden weapon. I'd just been thinking last week that it's been a long time since we've heard from Selmac and I've missed that duality of personality that was used so effectively in episodes like Seth. Loved the constant zipping back and forth between the two from moment to moment as they talked to Sam. Those scenes reminded me a little of Full Circle in atmosphere. Especially liked Selmac's reaction when Sam questioned his results. LOL.

*Bra'tac. Didn't have much to do – like Teal'c, who just had to stand and look smug a lot – but did love his 'I think things are about to get...bad'.

*Ba'al. Ba'al was just wonderful. An absolute joy from start to finish. So glad he escaped at the end. He's just too delicious to kill.

* Sam and Ba'al's sparring. She really did make the most this week of being in charge and handled it very well. More of this please!

* Some nice tie-backs to earlier episodes. Like the weapon having the same block system as the time device in WOO. And Sam referring to Ba'al tampering with the gates in Avenger 2.0. Nice little touches there. Also Sam's "Geez, you blow up one little sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water..." was cute.

* Jacob/Selmac's disgust at being forced to team up with Ba'al to get the weapon working:

"Lucky guess."
              "Not so all-knowing, huh?"
              "What's he still doing here?"
              "Now that was just creepy."

* Daniel. Oh, what can you say about Daniel? What a hero. He was just superb. Adored him in all of his scenes with RepliCarter (AT was terrific too). From his repeated "Hmmmmm...you know maybe I will co-operate with you. Oh wait – almost forgot you're an evil killing machine – nope. No chance!" LOL. To his battle with her – superbly acted by both of them!.

RepliCarter: You tricked me.
              Daniel: You tricked me, first.

Daniel: Trying to leave? Sorry. A little more time in Danny's world.

Saving the day – WTG, Daniel! Freezing the replicators just at the right moment to save the rest of SG1 and a few others. And... OMG! OMG! She killed Daniel! That total, total cow! And it was done so well. No huge dramatic moment. Just wham, out of the blue, very casual and there was Daniel lying there dying. Awk! Somehow that made it seem all the more...real. And MS was superb in those scenes. No writhing about in agony. Just quietly laying down and dying. <sob>

* Replicators pouring out of the gate and into the SGC! Ho-ly cow – I think my heart stopped. I just wasn't expecting that. When the screens started going haywire and Walter said it looked like someone was hacking into the system, I just assumed it was Ba'al getting the gates ready. That was one awesome dramatic moment. I almost had heart failure on the spot. Loved that one replicator trying to push the blast door of the gate room open as it was closing and the SF shooting it.

* And talking of awesome - space battles! Wow – all those motherships advancing on Ba'al's fleet. And all those yellow dots just suddenly popping into place on the screen, out of the blue. Very effective!

* Those shots of gates all over the galaxy suddenly firing up and whooshing into life. Really liked that those were stock shots, revisits to planets we've already been. Another nice touch.

* Totally serious, grim, Replicator-ass-kicking, worried-for-his-people Jack! Oh, how I've missed you!

* All of the scenes in the SGC fighting the Replicators. Genuine tension! I don't think those things have ever been as spooky and terrifying! Reynolds was fun. Great to see Silar in the mix. And Walter was terrific, as always, even though a bit in the background.

* Jack rescuing Siler.

Jack: [indicating the explosive Reynolds has just placed on the door] You should use more than one of those.
              Reynolds: Sir?
              Jack: It's a blast door? [The finger gestures that accompanied this were hilarious]

Siler: Thank you, sir!
              Jack: I expect to be put in your will, Siler
              Siler: Already in there, sir.
              Jack: Hey, that's...weird.

Also just loved the quiet way Jack said, "Fire in the hole." No reason. Just because. <G> Be still my heart.

* Jack and Reynolds' reactions when the replicators froze and they decided, what the hell, let's just shoot them some more, even if they aren't moving. ROTFL

* The slo mo focus on all four members of SG1, one by one, as individually they faced death, in the seconds before the weapon kicked into life. Huge lump in my throat and snuffling into my Kleenex at that point.

* And while we're at it – the mountain opening up and the weapon. Also the replicator ship landing on Ta'kara. Managing to be both graceful and totally graceless and clunky all at the same time as it did. Brilliant SFX in this episode – those involved in those should be well proud of themselves. They excelled themselves.

* Glad they told us that Thor was safe. I'd been beginning to think they were going to forget about him, out there fighting off replicators. But they got him in in the end. Whew.

Sam: He says he'll pay us a visit...just as soon as he gets his consciousness out of the computer and into a new body.
              Jack: That just never gets old, does it.

Niggles:

Hardly any. It would be churlish to nitpick such a wonderful episode. It was nice to see some indication that they're worried about where Daniel is at the very end, but it was a little bit 'too little, too late' for me and this was the major flaw in both parts for me. Up till then it was as though Daniel had been erased from everyone's memory. Not a single mention. It was odd and unsettling. Still, at least the end scene was something. I guess.

Actually, Daniel's current predicament makes me a little anxious and puzzled about how things are going to fit together in Threads. No matter how I try to figure out how Threads fits into the grand scheme of things set up in Reckoning I can't get it to fit right. Like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle stuck in a wrong hole. But...we shall see...

Oh and – Joe Mallozzi, you need a serious slapping! <g> Reckoning I and II would have made good final ever episodes?!?!?! Are you serious? What were you on, man? Yeah, riiiight, they would. Only if you wanted plane loads of fans heading in your direction with baseball bats. Listen up carefully – I shall say this only once. Never...ever get the idea in your heads that you can leave us in limbo with one of SG1 bleeding his life out on the floor dying and not ever tell us what happened to him and then stick 'The End. Final. Zip. No more." on it! I guarantee you – we will not be happy with that as the last ever episode of Stargate. Trust me on this one.

If I really had to find a nitpick to be churlish about (say if my life depended on it or something <G>) it would be that the second half of this episode was had so much WOW factor in it and was so packed full of edge of the seat action, it kind of overshadowed part one of Reckoning and the first half of Reckoning II, which look staid and plodding by comparison. But that would really, really be reaching for something to whine about. And these have their charms too.

Summary – I bet I've only scratched the surface of pointing out the good moments in this one. It's going to take a few viewings to take it all in and sure I've missed mentioning some choice bits. I actually got to watch the first half and then got interrupted. Up till that point I had been ready to come in here and say it was a good episode, that I'd really enjoyed it, but that it hadn't been anything terribly special. Then I managed to get back to the disk and bam! I was ambushed and whacked over the head by the second half which was just non-stop, edge of the seat, a breathless rollercoaster ride all the way to the end credits.

I give this one 100 out of 10. Kudos, to all concerned. This was just one terrific, awesome episode. Probably the best I've ever seen.

EDIT: Been reading some of the other comments, not all of them, and re whether all replicators were wiped out. Just a thought - what occurred to me all the way through Reckoning was that they were always talking about THE galaxy. "We'll wipe out the replicators throughout the galaxy". Our galaxy is, of course, only one among others. So it's perfectly possible, I'd imagine, that there could still be replicators out there in other galaxies besides ours, if TPTB ever wanted an excuse to bring them back.

I know that they did address why Anubus would want to destroy everything in the galaxy and leave himself alone in Reckoning II, but this thought applies there too. There are other galaxies he could have dominated, so it probably wasn't that much of a sacrifice for him depopulating ours. <g>
              Last edited by Albion; 05 February 2005, 05:08 AM.
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
                That doesnt make any sense. Do light waves go in every direction? No.
                They do. Light from any light source will travel in every direction unless reflected or absorbed. If you light a match in a dark room you can see the light from every direction. Stuff like torches (flashlights in american english) seem to shine in a single direction because next to the light-source is a curved reflective plate which redirects the waves that were going sideways and backwards.

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
                Do water waves go in every directions? No.
                But water is a finite medium with a boundary, and the waves are caused by particle motion. The waves *do* travel in every direction until they reach a boundary such as the sea floor, air/water surface or a riverbank or coastline.

Madeleine

Comment

Been reading some of the other comments, not all of them, and re whether all replicators were wiped out. Just a thought - what occurred to me all the way through Reckoning was that they were always talking about THE galaxy. "We'll wipe out the replicators throughout the galaxy". Our galaxy is, of course, only one among others. So it's perfectly possible, I'd imagine, that there could still be replicators out there in other galaxies besides ours, if TPTB ever wanted an excuse to bring them back.
                  In Unnatural Selection, Thor told SG1 all the replicators had been called to their planet. So, the only replicators left on the galaxy were the ones that escaped on Fifth's ship in New Order. These replicators are now replicarter's brethren, so I think she broguht all her warriors to our galaxy to take out the goa'uld.

Comment

I too wonder if all the Replicators are gone. Were they all still together during “New Order” and “Reckoning” or did Fifth and/or the RepliCarter do the sensible thing and disperse their forces? If they sent some out elsewhere before the end of “New Order” or before the main bulk of them headed for our galaxy, there could still be some out there in the Asgard galaxy.

Comment

Albion, that is one of the longest posts ive ever seen

Comment

Great review! Thought I'd comment on some of your niggles.

Originally posted by Albion
                        Niggles:
                        Hardly any. It would be churlish to nitpick such a wonderful episode. It was nice to see some indication that they're worried about where Daniel is at the very end, but it was a little bit 'too little, too late' for me and this was the major flaw in both parts for me. Up till then it was as though Daniel had been erased from everyone's memory. Not a single mention. It was odd and unsettling. Still, at least the end scene was something. I guess.
                        This worked okay for me although I understand your feelings. We always want those character moments because they're important to us. There was a lot going on in these episodes. Jack is so used to his team finding a way to survive that I think he's always in a little bit of denial that any of them will ever really die. And the behavior in this episode was fairly consistent with "New Order" where Sam's supposed death wasn't commented on much either. It's kind of a compliment to Daniel really. He's not the naive archeologist that was on Jack's team in the S1 - the guy Jack felt responsible for. If there's a way for Daniel to get out of this - he'll do it. And Jack knows that. It was only a brief moment at the end but I thought RDA/Jack was effective in that last scene.

Actually, Daniel's current predicament makes me a little anxious and puzzled about how things are going to fit together in Threads. No matter how I try to figure out how Threads fits into the grand scheme of things set up in Reckoning I can't get it to fit right. Like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle stuck in a wrong hole. But...we shall see...
                        Well I've read the spoilers and I'm still confused. I think there may be some options on the table we aren't aware of. I can't wait to see the episode!

Oh and – Joe Mallozzi, you need a serious slapping! <g> Reckoning I and II would have made good final ever episodes?!?!?! Are you serious? What were you on, man? Yeah, riiiight, they would. Only if you wanted plane loads of fans heading in your direction with baseball bats. Listen up carefully – I shall say this only once. Never...ever get the idea in your heads that you can leave us in limbo with one of SG1 bleeding his life out on the floor dying and not ever tell us what happened to him and then stick 'The End. Final. Zip. No more." on it! I guarantee you – we will not be happy with that as the last ever episode of Stargate. Trust me on this one.
                        Hee! Fans lining up to slap Joe. Now there's an image.

Actually, I could have lived with this as a series finale if they'd tied up a few more loose ends. No Jacob seeming ill - no escape for Anubis and Baal. Angsty - no doubt. But I would have believed that flash of light meant Daniel ascended again. And that he knew he'd died helping buy some time for his friends to save the galaxy and that he'd find a way to let them know he was okay. And hope like heck that we got a movie down the road.

Of course I'd like the whole happy-ending thing as well cause I'm a big sap.

If I really had to find a nitpick to be churlish about (say if my life depended on it or something <G>) it would be that the second half of this episode was had so much WOW factor in it and was so packed full of edge of the seat action, it kind of overshadowed part one of Reckoning and the first half of Reckoning II, which look staid and plodding by comparison. But that would really, really be reaching for something to whine about. And these have their charms too.
                        That was the only bad part. There was a lot of exposition packed into these two episodes to bring everyone up to speed and sometimes it brought the action to a halt. And as usually happens the first part is simply a set-up for the second half. Have to give them credit though - they really packed a lot in and found a way to make all the storylines mesh together.

The worst thing for me is that my expectations have now been raised. If "Threads" and "Moebius" aren't this good I'm going to be disappointed!
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
                          Albion, that is one of the longest posts ive ever seen

haha yeah that was what i was thinking!!

well, looks the like the gould are defeat, minus anubis but well have to see how what happens with him. now i see the need for a new enemy.

i like how they tied all the story lines together. that was great. cant wait for the last 3 episodes!
                          come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                            Here is a list of the planets gates - the 6th one did get me, I thought it was One False Step or Demons, but not sure:

Juna Gate (Double Jeopardy)

Chulak (Family)

Unknown Planet (Forever In A Day)

Can’t remember name (Past and Present)

Handate (Prisoners)

At first I thought it was the gate from “One False Step)

Earth

Also of note – the second gate clip should not have been used, as there is no longer any Serpent Guards around as far as we know!
                            I wish they would have shown Jonas' planet too! I was so disapointed!

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                              There was one that cracked me. Probably juna or chulak.

Where all the Jaffa in the old snakehead helmets looked startled when the gate opened.

I could imagine them saying...

"whoa, what's going on - we're still in season 1 here."

ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by JackDaniels
                                Additional thing. Was nice to see the Jaffa using P-90's etc, though i'm just looking at the Threads spoilers [Mod edit - please use spoiler space if you are spoiling. Thanks]
                                Spoiler:
                                and they all seem to be back with their staff weapons. Has no one told them they're useless against the kull warriors, hence why we got them using ours?

also, had never obviously read this part properly before (probably becuase the sentence before says sams having doubts about Pete) but it does mention that Jacob is very sick. What did that device to do him?

And furthermore, do people think they blew up the Ancient device after they used it, or are they for some inexpilcable reason giving Anubis a reason to come and get them?
                                I'm pretty sure they mentioned that they had secured it with the fleet the rebels had .. did you see that huge fleet the rebel jaffa now have.. wow

Oh and LOL did anyone else see that lone replicator that fell off the edge of the ramp in the temple when they all froze? He was like DOH and I was like ROFL

Comment

Working...
                                X