Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Default Re: Prometheus Unbound (812)

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post

I've posted before on how I don't consider it to be exactly canon as regards the series, but it's at least canon-adjacent when it doesn't contradict the series.
    Yeah, I get that.

I also tend to just disregard the film in general unless I want to introduce the story to someone. I mean, Emmerich plans to disregard the series with the trilogy, right? So I don't feel bad.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Major General

I wish we had MORE backstory on Vala, other than this to go off of, before she became a S9-10 regular.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    The only thing i wondered about, was how on earth did vala get her hands on the suit in the first place??
    I know it's very late to respond but read the novel TWO ROADS and your question is answered.

I liked the ep, especially the Daniel/Vala part and Hammond in action, emanding his ship back.
    Great.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Captain

One shouldn't have to read novels written after the fact in order to understand an episode at the time of its debut.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I know it's very late to respond but read the novel TWO ROADS and your question is answered.

I liked the ep, especially the Daniel/Vala part and Hammond in action, emanding his ship back.
    Great.
    Other Hammond's return and Novak's hiccups, I did not like this episode.

Claudia Black's character is dull, as is every piece of dialogue between her and Jackson. It is not "sexy" like they seem to be trying to go for - it just falls flat - "let's have sex instead". Good grief.

And the fight is woeful. The entire idea behind it is to have the woman wrap her legs around the man as often as possible regardless that it made no sense.

And why exactly did Daniel need to take her clothes off? Her clothes clearly did not absorb the stun blast like she claimed which means Daniel taking of her clothes while she was unconscious is very creepy indeed.

I remember from when I first watched Atlantis that Shepard had a similar episode. There were genuine sparks between Flanigan and the actress Jill Wagner but bar one later appearance I don't believe she ever appeared again, but over on SG-1 they had a terrible character and added her to the main cast.
    Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; January 27th, 2016 at 02:29 AM.

Chief Master Sergeant

Why have there so few off world adventures in Season Eight?

At first I thought it was because they wanted to have RDA front and centre in the series but he has featured very little in the season so far - his last as a regular unless I'm very much mistaken. I was thinking that maybe it was a question of keeping cost down but they've still had quite a bit of location filming and I would imagine that filming in a city is just as expensive and more difficult than the local forest.

Am I wrong on this?

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post

I've posted before on how I don't consider it to be exactly canon as regards the series, but it's at least canon-adjacent when it doesn't contradict the series.
    Since the movie came first, it is the series that "condradicts" not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
    Yeah, I get that.

I also tend to just disregard the film in general unless I want to introduce the story to someone. I mean, Emmerich plans to disregard the series with the trilogy, right? So I don't feel bad.
    Without the original film, we'd never have had SG-1 or the rest. Everything is owed to that film.

And if introducing someone to the franchise the movie HAS to come first. There is no other way of doing it.
    And I don't see how someone can live the series and not the movie that started it.

While I'd much prefer to see these new films to be sequels and for Spader and Russell to return**, if Emmerich can recapture what made Stargate a gem the first time then I'll be very happy.

** Seems like common sense to me.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
    And if introducing someone to the franchise the movie HAS to come first.
    Ummm... speaking from personal experience, no it doesn't. I've never seen the film. I have no interest in seeing the film.

As to your question about off-planet adventures in Season 8, IIRC, the politics were really pumped up in this season, and it's hard to do the really political episodes off-planet. Not my favorite season.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

I agree with SB - I haven't seen the movie either and I don't think I've missed anything.
    Moreover I'm no fan of Russell nor Spader.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Just finished watching this episode during a random rewatch on Hulu. It was great seeing General Hammond in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Ummm... speaking from personal experience, no it doesn't. I've never seen the film. I have no interest in seeing the film.

As to your question about off-planet adventures in Season 8, IIRC, the politics were really pumped up in this season, and it's hard to do the really political episodes off-planet. Not my favorite season.

Seaboe
    I agree. I saw many seasons of SG1 before I ever watched the original movie, and while it was okay, it isn't necessary to see it before watching the series.

Chief Master Sergeant mparsons1981's Avatar

Whoever thought that all this hiccuping was funny - clearly has a very poor sense of humour.
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

I just watched this, and I don't get why they brought Vala back based on this episode. She just came across as psycho-- not the scary kind, but the kind that indicated that she should be in a mental ward. If I remember correctly, I do like Vala in the later episodes, just not here.

Quote Originally Posted by BethHG View Post
    I just watched this, and I don't get why they brought Vala back based on this episode. She just came across as psycho-- not the scary kind, but the kind that indicated that she should be in a mental ward. If I remember correctly, I do like Vala in the later episodes, just not here.

Especially the part when she says to Daniel that he's attractive while being in a Kull warrior suit

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

Especially the part when she says to Daniel that he's attractive while being in a Kull warrior suit

Yeah, that was creepy, but the look on Daniel's face was priceless.

Airman

Having watched this for the first time 13 years after it was shown, I have mixed views. I simply enjoyed Hammond and Walter...really, stunning seeing Hammond at work, in the field, and in command. He's a much better commander then that first CO, a kind of overbearing pretty boy. Great.
    However...Vala.
    This is her intro to the series, and to be honest, I despised her in this episode. Completely and utterly. The appearance of the Kull was good, although it seems they would have had a way to fight one. When you hear that sexy come-on from the Kull pinning Daniel, is beautiful. But Vala...she is so over the top with the sex talk that makes her sound like a horny teenager. Turn the volume down!
    However, the rest of it...she puts the crew on the other ship, leaving them to die. What a callous jerk. Then, Hammond risks his life...heroically...to get the crystals, which I loved, but Vala...she could have caused his death, and for what? Some crappy deal. I was overjoyed when Daniel finally smacked her one, and I really think he could have easily put her down.
    I understand all of you are in love with Claudia Black...not just the Farscape transfers...and I admit she has some charm, but Claudia is kind of horsey-looking, and I know a lot of you feel Claudia can do no wrong. Again, all the sex stuff, coming from a woman her age, made her look pathetic and creepy, especially when she was willing to let all the crew die or be marooned.
    To restate. I completely, utterly, despised her. It was a terrible introduction to Vala.
    Don't worry, I'll report on season nine, so I will progress with Vala, but such a terrible intro. If it had been a B actress, we'd happily see her rubbed out, but Claudia gets a pass.
    As for Ellie Harvie (Novak), it was fun to see her, because I've seen her on Canadian TV. She's fun, but the hiccups could have been ditched after the second scene. I think, considering the seriousness of certain parts of the episode, Ellie might have been miscast, but as you can tell, I've a bone to pick with the writing in this ep. Sometimes, Stargate didn't quite mix the humor and seriousness.
    It just stays with me that Vala put everyone in jeopardy, and it gets shrugged off. So most of this episode is not to my taste, but God bless Hammond.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman View Post
    Just finished watching this episode during a random rewatch on Hulu. It was great seeing General Hammond in action.
    I felt that was the best part of this whole episode. What he got to do here and his part in commanding the Prometheus in "Lost City" during the battle over Antarctica.

Staff Sergeant

The return of general Hammond is the best part of this episode. When he claims his office chair back, teasing Jack. And Jack really looks for a brief moment like he is relieved that Hammond would be back in command of SGC And later, Hammond on the Prometheus, a true commander
    Not a fan of Vala here