Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
    When I watch an episode and I see MICHAEL rather than Daniel, then something is wrong. This just isn't Daniel for me, and I'm hugely disappointed. Everything seemed so forced. If I wanted to watch Farscape, then I would go rent the DVD's.
    Yeah, that was what was bugging me throughout the episode. I wasn't seeing "Daniel Jackson". Instead, I saw a watered down version of "John Crichton meeting Aeryn Soon" à la Stargate.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

I really enjoyed this one and CB's charecter Vala for me was very differernt to aeryn sun in farscape the sexual inuendos and such - were to me used to put daniel off I agree with whoever said that...

I'm looking forward to seeing Vala again and getting more info about her.
      sigpic

Comment

I must say I loved it! Laughed all the way through. Loved how so irritated Daniel got with Vala in that annoying kid sister or persistant itch you can't scratch kinda way. Also lol at him trying to squash her head on the brig monitor when she was coming too from being unconscious.. I love those sort of small touches!
        Loved the "you're a fruitcake" and great fight scenes! Nice to see General Hammond get some action too and lol at the mouth to mouth.

It was fluff but it was chocolate flavour candy floss kinda fluff and I can see why Michael Shank's says this is one of his fave eps of the season!

Also loved Atlantis tonight (Go Rodney! )

Comment

I'm going to be focusing on the aliens of the week theme that other series seem to follow and that Stargate has kept different by limiting the number of aliens.

With the Stargate aliens, they are few in number and the ones we've encountered are way stronger than the Go'uld, way weaker than the Go'uld, or not space faring. (up to Season 6 with the introduction of the Serakin). The Gould empire's existence is plausible because there weren't any space faring alliances in our galaxy to end the Go'uld threat. The writers brought in the Asgard, originating from another galaxy, in order to impose some restraints upon the Gould. There was a level of despair because humans were alone and the Tollan, the only human culture that could fight the Gould prior to season 5, chose to be isolationist.

By having a limited number of aliens, each alien race could be spent more time on. We eventually learned of Tokra within the Gould, an ancient alliance between Nox, Asgard, Furling, and Ancients. And each new race brought into the SGverse was given a sufficient backstory to explain why they can't fight the Gould (except for possibly Nems race). The Xels don't believe in space travel, the Gadmeer are extinct and reseeding, the Crystal Skull aliens may have to obey the rules of the Ascended (a possible theory), the Nox are pacifist, and the Asgard are fighting their war against the Replicators, the Tollans were arrogant due to their ion cannons, etc.

With the Serakin, we don't know what there reason is for ignoring the Gould or much of their backstory other than fighting the Gould and adopting humans into their civilization. How do the Serakin fit into the overall Gould arc considering they are aware of the Gould? How do the aliens we just met fit into the Gould relationship?

And if the writers keep on introducing new space faring alien races, then it begs the question, were the Ancients alone at the peak of their empire? Are there other races in the Ida galaxy that were wiped out by the Replicators? And why is the Pegasus galaxy so desolate compared to the Milky Way?

Comment

I get the feeling this is going to be one of those love/hate shows. I didn't like it at all. It's frustrating because the premise is although completely unoriginal (Sam, in Grace... Far better.) it could have still held as an excellent character episode.

The episode seemed like one where they came up with the basic plot and just decided to make it a fun episode. But they've stuffed so much levity in there that it makes the whole thing topple over. The action scenes were bewildering and not engaging, and the banter wasn't very in Daniel's character. The whole random banter and little expressions were cute, but not what he does, or what he does well at all. The more annoying thing is that I can very much see chemistry developping between Vala and Daniel, but it was so squeezed out that it came off as purely artificial.

I think the episode would have been much better structured if Daniel initially caught Vala, threw her in the cell, and basically attempted to reach her for the bulk of the episode. That would've made a great character study (Daniel is the first guy to treat her well, Vala learns to trust him, and they have meals together, etc.). Instead we get all this filler crap, including the b-plot with the Alkesh (like there was any doubt about Hammond surviving... ) And the weird Star War-ish aliens and random Gou'ald.

There's also obvious plot problems that poked out at me:
            -There's NO ring security at all?! No security force? Is there no ON/OFF switch?!
            -Hammond leading the mission would never be allowed. That would be like Donald Rumsfeld leading the next incursion into Iraq, it makes no sense to put a person of incredible strategic importance on a frontline mission.

The only things I did like:
            -Claudia Black. I don't care, she's awesome. But they totally wasted her.
            -The gag with Hammond and Renolds giving him mouth-to-mouth. It's the little quirky jokes that work best.
            -Basically the first encounter between Vala and Daniel was very cute, how we thought it was Gou'ald that said "You are attractive." or how she made a crack about size matters...
            -Vala and the random aliens expand the Stargate universe considerably, painting a more complete picture of this galaxy beyond Humans, Gou'ald, and the Asguard.

I hope the writers enjoyed their vacation, because we haven't had any Daniel-centric episodes and I really don't want this to count as one.

Comment

Oooooo-kay, got a couple of gratuitous comments to make before I start with this one.

Firstly, boy did this episode have a lot of ship in it!

Har! Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Secondly, the Mystery of the Vanishing Archeologist is finally solved as Daniel emerges from the elevator he vanished into at the start of Gemini in the teaser for this episode. See? Told you guys he'd been stuck in there all week.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Daniel was a joy throughout and loved his having learned enough savvy over the years not to blindly fall for Vala's story. Nice one, Daniel. And...Hans Olo? ROTFL! And I was laughing so hard when he turned around and punched her that I had to pause the recording until I could breathe again. In fact this one had me bursting out loud with laughter at more than one point. One of which was Daniel's "Sorry, you're not my type. And I'm a little disturbed I appear to be yours." His entire reaction to the 'SuperSoldier' telling him it had kept him aboard because he was attractive was one of the most hilarious Stargate moments I've ever seen.

Loved the teaser. Thought RDA needed to dial it down a little as he appeared a tad...manic in his line delivery, I thought. But all the same it was fun. Particuarly liked:

Daniel: Because I'll quit!
              Jack: Why don't you hold your breath. You haven't done that in a while.

I liked Vala much more than I thought I would. She was a lot of fun and her interaction with Daniel fun too (although deeply unconvincing at times. I know that fight was intended to be comedic, but it was a bit clumsily directed imo) But to be honest I didn't find her character intriguing or interesting enough to merit her return in future episodes. Still, I guess it would greatly depend on the plot she was involved in.

It was slightly odd not to see Carter or Teal'c for an entire episode. But any scenes with them would have been entirely gratuitious as the plot didn't call for them, so it didn't bother me too much, apart from the obvious disappointment of not seeing them.

To make up for their loss it was lovely to see Walter, Hammond and other regular support cast get to do something a little out of their usual box and they all worked well together. Walter's face when he looked up and saw the SuperSolider was a delight to behold.

Novak...hmmmmmmm. The hiccup thing was slightly amusing to begin with but rapidly just got irritating and it seemed so superfluous. Like a badly written attempt to graft on character. It reminded me of self-help writing manuals, which tend to warn against giving characters obvious traits like this when you should be gifting them with genuine character and interest rather than cheap gimmicks. But she was a likeable enough character for all that. I understand why Carter wasn't aboard ship, but the channeling of her by Novak during the scenes where Hammond was trying to get the crystal from the cargo ship was a bit spooky.

Loved all the SuperSoldier scenes at the start too. When it first came out through the door it sent a shiver down my spine. And loved Daniel ducking out of its way the moment he saw it. That boy sure has been learning.

So...verdict? Funny, tense, action-packed (which was a nice counterbalance to the more talky episodes we've had lately) and a really nice Daniel-centric episode that's sure to make it onto my list of the well-watched.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

This episode has been getting some mixed reviews, but I just found the story partially weak but the humour and action kinda made up for it.

Here are my favourite parts:

* Daniel acting partially like a baby and Jack's replies to his pleas.

* Hammond wanting to take the chair back to Wasington and then dening O'Neill's request to keep Daniel. Also Jack's face when Hammond says "Oh and I am taking Walter!" was good.

* Walter slowly moving the glass of water to Novak!

*Good to see Reynolds and SG-3 again, I am starting to warm up to the character Reynolds. Interesting to see him without his usual M16 type gun and using the P-90s.

*Daniel's reaction to when he realised he was going to be zatted again - how many times so far this season? 5th time so far isn't it!

* The Super Soldier coming onto him and Daniel's reaction!

*The fight between Daniel and Varla, the childish replies. "You hit me" - "well you hit me first!"

* General Hammond being the hero, and then when Reynolds rings him aboard and Novak says you have to give him mouth to mouth - the look on Reynolds face! Also Reynolds reaction to Hammond coming round - well done General for coming round.

* Walter having some fun flying the Alkehesh and firing the weapons - he was having a great time.

I am sure I missed a few other points off - but these were the funny and good parts of the episode. Can't wait for the 4th January when we get to see Maybourne again!

Comment

Okay, read everyone else's take now.

I think generally it would be a mistake to take anything Vala said at face value. Her whole thing was so obviously manipulation to get her own way. I thought the point was that her story about 'her people' being in trouble was all a pack of lies. She was nothing more than a smuggler/thief/opportunist who had been looking for a ship to steal to fulfill her end of the bargain with the aliens and buy the naqueda from them. So anything else she said about her people, being a host, etc etc, can be taken with a pinch of salt. It might be true. It might have been a sob story she hoped would soften Daniel towards her. I guess we'll find out when she reappears. But basically, for the time being, I think all bets are off as regards her history, who she is and where she comes from and nothing should be regarded as fact until we know more.

You know, having read the comments about her history and just written the above, I think I'm revising my earlier comment about her. Suddenly I'm a little more intrigued to find out than I was. Especially if the host part is correct. That might be interesting to find out more about....

I seem to have completely missed Walter's big comic moment! I'm going to have to go watch again and see him with that glass of water. Well, it's a good excuse to watch again. Not that I need one.

I, personally, noticed no channeling of RDA in this one. Daniel seemed perfectly himself to me. He's always been one to throw out a sarky one liner. In early seasons it tended to be mumbled from behind Jack's shoulder but he's gotten more open about it as time has gone by.

I agree, the fruitcake line was hilarious, but just one of many fun moments in this one that it'll be a joy and pleasure to watch again and again.

BTW, did anyone catch what it is Daniel yells at Vala when the Prometheus is under attack? She says let me out and I'll help you and he yells something back and she just smiles and shrugs? I played it back a few times but just couldn't make it out.

Albion
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

BTW, did anyone catch what it is Daniel yells at Vala when the Prometheus is under attack? She says let me out and I'll help you and he yells something back and she just smiles and shrugs? I played it back a few times but just couldn't make it out.

"you've gotta be kidding me!"

Comment

i think this season has really got to mark a new record on how LITTLE sg1 actually uses the stargate. i mean i thought this was an interesting ep, nothing that was like "OMG OMG THAT WAS SOOO GOOD" but still ok. i dunno i liked in the beginning, then it just sorta went downhill from there. i think the writers are just coming up with random stories now, lets steal the stargate, lets steal prometheus, lets steal carter, lets steal the asgard replicator weapon. i mean how about, lets step through the stargate, lets explore offworld, lets take a look at new planets... they just figured that what was making the series so successful for 7 years was all wrong and we should change up the formula now? i really don't have high hopes for season 9, i'm all for more stargatey goodness, but i think its time to give it up, because if they lose RDA, i doubt we'll see season 10.
                      Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
                      Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
                      Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
                      Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Thanks, Maia Arana!! :thumbsup:

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Yeah, this one was a mixed bag. The good?

HAMMOND! Yes! Hammond rocks, and this show is the lesser without him. If RDA won't give the series any more time, Don Davis needs to be brought back, put in charge of SG1 and lead them through the Gate, on missions where they can collectively kick ass. Seriously George, you're missed.

Chevron Guy - nice humour. But I've seen him in past seasons wearing a name patch that said "Davis". When did he suddenly become "Harriman"?

Indiana Jackson. Sorry, Hans Olo! ROFL! What a long way he's come from being the geeky archaeologist.

The bad?

Claudia Black's character. Total pain in the mik'ta. If she's back in season 9, I won't be watching those ones.

Security on Prometheus - bit of a joke really.

Lack of SG1 team interaction, just like all season. SG1 isn't a team any more, it's a group of individuals whose paths occasionally cross. Have we actually seen Carter lead her team on a proper mission yet? I know things change, but for me, this ain't the show it once was.

Comment

But I've seen him in past seasons wearing a name patch that said "Davis". When did he suddenly become "Harriman"?
                            He became Harriman this season, when they finally worked out what to call him.

Previously, he'd been known as Norman Davis. Though I don't believe the Norman was ever heard or shown on screen, only used in scripts and in production meetings etc.

Then RDA, in an ad lib, called him Walter in 2010, so he was briefly Walter Davis. But that name didn't legally clear so they couldn't use it.

Gary Jones relates that he was then told he was called Harriman Davis...and that was the last that was officially heard I think before he materialised this season as Walter Harriman. So I guess they finally found a name everyone could live with.

Albion (who thinks Walter Harriman is a grand name...)

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I was in stiches laughing at the intro to this episode. But I did not find the interaction between DJ and Vala funny. Was this what MS was doing while GEMINI was being filmed?

I really missed Teal'c and Sam. At least Teal'c could have saved DJ from a beating.

The parts I enjoyed were the scences with Hammond and the others.

Comment

Ok I loved this ep, and can't wait to see more hammond, hopefully, and CB in season 9.

The one thing a lot of people were asking is why the shields died so quickly on the Prometheus, I think this is because of all the damage it took while sitting on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X