Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode was fantastic!

It had so many great moments. I loved Daniel's reaction to the super soldier coming onto him.

Great acting overall, the fight scene was a bit clumsy but I interpreted it to be kind of comical anyway.
    Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

Originally posted by Angel of Fire SG1
      And I'd like to see everyone who bags writers writing Stargate! Unless you can personally do better you have no right to critise
      Exsqueeze me?

Everyone has a right to criticize. That's what makes us ALL critics.

Whether one can "personally do better" is irrelevant.

Of course, constructive criticism is always better, not just a vague "it sucked".
      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Super episode! Claudia Black was great. Really looking forward to season 9, especially if the news about BB is correct.
        oldcelt1

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          Even though Daniel's practiced fighting for eight years it's not unlikely that most of his practice would be against largish men, and if he went for Vala full throttle he could have killed her. I thought he was holding her off till he could get a restraining hold on or zat her. I truly thought he was in control.
          Why is everyone assuming that Daniel should have been able to wipe the floor with Vala?

People, he's an archeologist, and nothing he's done in the past 7-8 years has suggested he's acquired even a brown belt in martial arts. He's been trained in a few weapons, that's all. From the little we're shown of Vala, we can plausibly postulate she's at least got some good street brawling skills, having survived this long as a lying cheating smuggler/thief.
          To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            Well, I hope my reaction is the same as yours, since I loved Avatar.
            If your anything like me, you'll throughly enjoy this episode. It was outstanding!

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
            Why is everyone assuming that Daniel should have been able to wipe the floor with Vala?

People, he's an archeologist, and nothing he's done in the past 7-8 years has suggested he's acquired even a brown belt in martial arts. He's been trained in a few weapons, that's all. From the little we're shown of Vala, we can plausibly postulate she's at least got some good street brawling skills, having survived this long as a lying cheating smuggler/thief.
            I agree, he wouldn't have invested his time into learning any kind of defense training. He would however have had to been trained in a few weapons, probably because the USAF forced him to. However he may have picked up a few or two from Teal'c?

Anybody remember the episode "Prisoners" from Season 2? He sure has come along way since then...

Ace
            "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Honestly, I have no idea if Daniel should have been able to wipe the floor with Vala. Although, I do find the emphasis on him being an archeologist funny. I'm sure there are archeologists who can handle themselves fine in a fight.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Angel of Fire SG1
                Oh...one more thing....the whole "having a female writer on the staff" comment I keep reading...that's so utterly and completely sexist

Just cos someone's female doesn't make them a more competant writer
                I don't see it as sexist myself; so many of the episodes in the last couple years (and the DVD commentaries) seem to dwell on what I consider to be little boy humour-- like talking about farting, or hitting a man in the crotch. A female writer or producer would be able to give a woman's pov to things-- not everything has to be bathroom humour. It would balance things better. I don't think an all female writing staff would be any better than the all-male one we have now. It has nothing to do with competence, but everything to do with balance.

I think this would have been a better episode if the genders of the people putting it together had been mixed.

Dana Jeanne
                Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I don't think it was a matter of him not being able to take Vala. I think he could have, easily. I think it was the whole it's a girl thing. But I don't really care because I was too busy laughing my self silly. Yes, the episode was quite high on the camp factor but I still enjoyed every silly second of it. Daniel, Daniel, and more Daniel. And not just that but funny Daniel.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    Honestly, I have no idea if Daniel should have been able to wipe the floor with Vala. Although, I do find the emphasis on him being an archeologist funny. I'm sure there are archeologists who can handle themselves fine in a fight.
                    well he's not just an archaeologist though, i mean he travels around with a military unit, we've seen him in the gym, have you seen how ripped he is? he's far from scrawny, i'd say he could definitely take RDA in a real life fight (by real life i mean, not SG1 universe because Jack's military experience could easily turn the tide of the fight). let's not even go into amanda tapping, as far as christopher judge goes... i dunno...
                    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
                    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
                    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
                    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Having watched the ep again after a fun day's shopping, I liked it a little more the second time around. I think you have to watch it bearing in mind it's a 'funny' ep and that things that seem a little ooc or ott are there for the humour, which you may or may not share with the writers. Not one of my favourites, by any means, but it's not the *worst* ep I've ever seen.
                      I love the crazy smile thing Vala does when Daniel finally lets her out! But I did find it a bit ridiculous how easily she continually bested the SGC secutiry teams (but, hey, SG-1 do it all the time to the goa'uld, don't they!?) and the CPR with Hammond thing just made me cringe... It *was* funny, but I just found myself unable to suspend disbelief, watching an air force colonel struggle to bring his lips into contact with the lips of a supposedly dying man... I mean, his few seconds of panic could have cost Hammond his life... theoretically. I really didn't think there should have been any problem with him getting on with.
                      Meh.
                      Counting down the days to the next ep!

Comment

i can't be;ive theye didn't get the naquida! maybe my brain is wierd difrently but as soon as i saw it i was thinking "get it get it get it" but meh

good ep, not the best of the season but kind of funny, i agree with most of you guys they were trying to hard, they might have to keep in mind next time less can be more.

as for the sexual stuff, it was funny kind of. to me it seemed more like she used the sexual suff to disarm her male oponents. like when she said "i wanted you to take my clothes off while i was consious so i could distract you and kick u in the head" after the first "i think your atractive" when daniel knew she was a women i think it was supposed to come off as she saw he was kind of uncomfortable by it so used it later to distract/disarm him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                          I don't see it as sexist myself; so many of the episodes in the last couple years (and the DVD commentaries) seem to dwell on what I consider to be little boy humour-- like talking about farting, or hitting a man in the crotch. A female writer or producer would be able to give a woman's pov to things-- not everything has to be bathroom humour. It would balance things better. I don't think an all female writing staff would be any better than the all-male one we have now. It has nothing to do with competence, but everything to do with balance.

I think this would have been a better episode if the genders of the people putting it together had been mixed.

Dana Jeanne
                          *Cough* Male writers almost never write about hitting males in the crotch, mostly because most fights are male vs male, and males never hit other males in the crotch, if you'd been hit in the crotch you'd know why

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            *Cough* Male writers almost never write about hitting males in the crotch, mostly because most fights are male vs male, and males never hit other males in the crotch, if you'd been hit in the crotch you'd know why
                            My apologies.

I was kicked there once, back in Junior High, and while I'm a female and it hurt like you-know-what, I can only *imagine* how it must feel to a man.

Just my luck Damien Kindler isn't one of those 'almost never' dudes However, getting slammed with a fire extinguisher should have put the poor man out for the count, at the least, I would have thought.

:: ....DJ wonders if she's making every male on the forum squirm....::

Seriously, I'm hoping when this airs in the US and I see it on regular TV that I will like it more. I adored the beginning bit with Jack, Daniel and Hammond!

Dana Jeanne
                            Last edited by Dana_Jeanne; 22 December 2004, 03:38 PM. Reason: my spelling is awful
                            Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I assume that Daniel could take Vala for two reasons:

First, I can't credit that Jack would allow Daniel offworld without him being trained. He'd have got some basic military training in s1 and would be expected to maintain his fitness and improve his combat skills over the years.

Secondly, I am a female somewhat sturdier than CB and almost certainly stronger. I have met MS and he's the same size as a couple of my judo partners. I can take them, cos I'm more skilled and experienced, but only if they play by the rules; judo grips and judo throws only. If they were to abandon the rules and start punching and taking whatever grip suited them I'd lose. It's the other way around when I fight the little teenage England Internationals, they beat me even though if it was a no-rule fight my strength and weight would win for me. What I was seeing was Daniel playing by rules and Vala not. Everything he did (other than the retaliatory and restrained punch in the face) was defensive until he was able to win without damaging her, and it put me in mind of how I fight against some of the nippy lithe chaps, letting them come at me and attackattackattack me, and then... sit on them

Originally posted by Lunar
                              I love the crazy smile thing Vala does when Daniel finally lets her out!
                              Brilliant moment!

Madeleine

Comment

Maybe Daniel enjoyed "stripping" her a bit too much? :?

Comment

Working...
                                X