No announcement yet.

Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why have there so few off world adventures in Season Eight?

At first I thought it was because they wanted to have RDA front and centre in the series but he has featured very little in the season so far - his last as a regular unless I'm very much mistaken. I was thinking that maybe it was a question of keeping cost down but they've still had quite a bit of location filming and I would imagine that filming in a city is just as expensive and more difficult than the local forest.

Am I wrong on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post

I've posted before on how I don't consider it to be exactly canon as regards the series, but it's at least canon-adjacent when it doesn't contradict the series.
      Since the movie came first, it is the series that "condradicts" not the other way around.

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
      Yeah, I get that.

I also tend to just disregard the film in general unless I want to introduce the story to someone. I mean, Emmerich plans to disregard the series with the trilogy, right? So I don't feel bad.
      Without the original film, we'd never have had SG-1 or the rest. Everything is owed to that film.

And if introducing someone to the franchise the movie HAS to come first. There is no other way of doing it.
      And I don't see how someone can live the series and not the movie that started it.

While I'd much prefer to see these new films to be sequels and for Spader and Russell to return**, if Emmerich can recapture what made Stargate a gem the first time then I'll be very happy.

** Seems like common sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
        And if introducing someone to the franchise the movie HAS to come first.
        Ummm... speaking from personal experience, no it doesn't. I've never seen the film. I have no interest in seeing the film.

As to your question about off-planet adventures in Season 8, IIRC, the politics were really pumped up in this season, and it's hard to do the really political episodes off-planet. Not my favorite season.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I agree with SB - I haven't seen the movie either and I don't think I've missed anything.
          Moreover I'm no fan of Russell nor Spader.
          CARPE DIEM
          ANJA

Comment

Just finished watching this episode during a random rewatch on Hulu. It was great seeing General Hammond in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
              Ummm... speaking from personal experience, no it doesn't. I've never seen the film. I have no interest in seeing the film.

As to your question about off-planet adventures in Season 8, IIRC, the politics were really pumped up in this season, and it's hard to do the really political episodes off-planet. Not my favorite season.

Seaboe
              I agree. I saw many seasons of SG1 before I ever watched the original movie, and while it was okay, it isn't necessary to see it before watching the series.

Comment

Whoever thought that all this hiccuping was funny - clearly has a very poor sense of humour.
                Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

I just watched this, and I don't get why they brought Vala back based on this episode. She just came across as psycho-- not the scary kind, but the kind that indicated that she should be in a mental ward. If I remember correctly, I do like Vala in the later episodes, just not here.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                    I just watched this, and I don't get why they brought Vala back based on this episode. She just came across as psycho-- not the scary kind, but the kind that indicated that she should be in a mental ward. If I remember correctly, I do like Vala in the later episodes, just not here.

Especially the part when she says to Daniel that he's attractive while being in a Kull warrior suit
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post

Especially the part when she says to Daniel that he's attractive while being in a Kull warrior suit

Yeah, that was creepy, but the look on Daniel's face was priceless.

Comment

Having watched this for the first time 13 years after it was shown, I have mixed views. I simply enjoyed Hammond and Walter...really, stunning seeing Hammond at work, in the field, and in command. He's a much better commander then that first CO, a kind of overbearing pretty boy. Great.
                        However...Vala.
                        This is her intro to the series, and to be honest, I despised her in this episode. Completely and utterly. The appearance of the Kull was good, although it seems they would have had a way to fight one. When you hear that sexy come-on from the Kull pinning Daniel, is beautiful. But Vala...she is so over the top with the sex talk that makes her sound like a horny teenager. Turn the volume down!
                        However, the rest of it...she puts the crew on the other ship, leaving them to die. What a callous jerk. Then, Hammond risks his life...heroically...to get the crystals, which I loved, but Vala...she could have caused his death, and for what? Some crappy deal. I was overjoyed when Daniel finally smacked her one, and I really think he could have easily put her down.
                        I understand all of you are in love with Claudia Black...not just the Farscape transfers...and I admit she has some charm, but Claudia is kind of horsey-looking, and I know a lot of you feel Claudia can do no wrong. Again, all the sex stuff, coming from a woman her age, made her look pathetic and creepy, especially when she was willing to let all the crew die or be marooned.
                        To restate. I completely, utterly, despised her. It was a terrible introduction to Vala.
                        Don't worry, I'll report on season nine, so I will progress with Vala, but such a terrible intro. If it had been a B actress, we'd happily see her rubbed out, but Claudia gets a pass.
                        As for Ellie Harvie (Novak), it was fun to see her, because I've seen her on Canadian TV. She's fun, but the hiccups could have been ditched after the second scene. I think, considering the seriousness of certain parts of the episode, Ellie might have been miscast, but as you can tell, I've a bone to pick with the writing in this ep. Sometimes, Stargate didn't quite mix the humor and seriousness.
                        It just stays with me that Vala put everyone in jeopardy, and it gets shrugged off. So most of this episode is not to my taste, but God bless Hammond.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                          Just finished watching this episode during a random rewatch on Hulu. It was great seeing General Hammond in action.
                          I felt that was the best part of this whole episode. What he got to do here and his part in commanding the Prometheus in "Lost City" during the battle over Antarctica.

Comment

The return of general Hammond is the best part of this episode. When he claims his office chair back, teasing Jack. And Jack really looks for a brief moment like he is relieved that Hammond would be back in command of SGC And later, Hammond on the Prometheus, a true commander
                            Not a fan of Vala here

Comment

For those wondering why I skipped Gemini -- I didn't. On my DVD-set that episode comes after this one, not before.

Anywho... this one's better anyway, cause it has that brilliant mix of Vala and Daniel. First time we're treated on having Vala around, and she's still rough around the edges here. Lying, thieving and always looking for a good score, which in theory the Prometheus would have been if it hadn't been for that last remaining crewmember on board.

I love the dynamic between Daniel and Vala -- from the get go. Sure, they're on opposites sides of the table, literally at one point, but in the end they do work together in order to survive. Not like they settled their differences, not by a long shot.

The episode is nicely contained. On one end we have Hammond and his crew trying to get the Alkesh fixed, and on the other end we have Daniel trying to gain control of Vala and Prometheus. I really enjoyed this episode.

Also, hello Ellie Harvie... ...Lindsey Novak is definitely one of my all-time favorite characters.

How would you rate SG-1's "Prometheus Unbound"?

Excellent
                              Good
                              Fair
                              Poor
                              Terrible

------

Well, that's another three episodes down in this neverending rewatch of mine. Y'all know what's coming next -- or, you know, you probably don't... jigsaw and 3-episode quiz inbound as soon as I have them uploaded.

------

Incoming message...

3-episode quiz: Sarcrifices, Endgame & Prometheus Unbound

Jigsaw puzzle: Prometheus Unbound
                              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 23 April 2020, 11:14 AM. Reason: Adding the quiz & jigsaw...
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I liked Elli Novak, too. She has a recurring role on the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries as a librarian. It's on the Hallmark Channel, where a lot of actors that appeared on the Stargate shows have recurring roles on the various Hallmark Mysteries. I keep meaning to start making a list of the actors who were on Stargate, but my memory sucks, so I still haven't done it.

Comment

Working...
                                X