No announcement yet.

Prometheus Unbound (812)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what I think of this yet, I'll have to watch again and then decide. I know I found all the sexual innuendo to be terribly childish and immature writing-wise. The first bit with Vala in the Super Soldier outfit coming on to Daniel was funny, but after that it got old rather quickly. The fight between Vala and Daniel was simply ridiculous and way OTT. I always thought Stargate was supposed to be a Drama, but the writers seem to be trying for a comedy and falling short.

I'm also getting tired of hearing Jack's words come out of Daniel's mouth and for this I blame the writers. Daniel is not Jack. He isn't a sarcastic, jokes at the wrong moment, silly, brainless git. You could have exchanged Jack for Daniel in a lot of this episode and not had to change the lines at all. That's not good.

This could have been a very good dramatic episode, with Vala having once played host to a goa'uld and survived where Shau'ri died. Instead we got .... I'm not sure exactly what we got.

CB did a pretty good job, and MS was good as he channeled Jack. Good to see DSD back and that Walter was there, but lose the lass with the hiccups, that was simply ridiculous.

I'd truly like to see less of the buffed up military Daniel, and more of the old linguist/archeaological man.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor's Gunner
      I thought it was one of the best eps this season, im glad we've got to see a bit more of general hammondand SG-2. Some bits were a bit off yes but overall i enjoyed it, SGA was better though.
      Wasn't it SG-3? I will say no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelagia
        I'm also getting tired of hearing Jack's words come out of Daniel's mouth and for this I blame the writers. Daniel is not Jack. He isn't a sarcastic, jokes at the wrong moment, silly, brainless git. You could have exchanged Jack for Daniel in a lot of this episode and not had to change the lines at all. That's not good..
        I agree to an extent, Daniel does often say lines that could just as well have been written for Jack. Me, I don't find that too much of a problem; Jack said in s6 that spending time with Daniel had meant that Daniel rubbed off on him, and I think it's natural that the reverse is also true.

It doesn't bother me, cos the words might be in the same style, but the delivery is very different. Whereas Jack goes for sarky as a put-down (and RDA does it well) Daniel tends to go for sarky as a bit of sparring. Jack delivers his lines so that there's no option for his target to give a witty reply or spirited comeback (hon. exception Harry Maybourne). Daniel delivers his like it's part of a conversation and even seems to relish it when his sarkiness is met with a good retort. I felt that to be the case with Weir in New Order and particularly in this ep with Vala.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by DIngChavez
          Wasn't it SG-3? I will say no more.
          It might have been, i cant remember, I'll have to re-watch it at some point.

And Pelagia, the immature side of the characters and writing is what makes the comical value, like O'neil and Sheppards childish behaviour when captured ect. its what makes it so brilliant in my opinion.
          'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
          'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            I agree to an extent, Daniel does often say lines that could just as well have been written for Jack. Me, I don't find that too much of a problem; Jack said in s6 that spending time with Daniel had meant that Daniel rubbed off on him, and I think it's natural that the reverse is also true.

It doesn't bother me, cos the words might be in the same style, but the delivery is very different. Whereas Jack goes for sarky as a put-down (and RDA does it well) Daniel tends to go for sarky as a bit of sparring. Jack delivers his lines so that there's no option for his target to give a witty reply or spirited comeback (hon. exception Harry Maybourne). Daniel delivers his like it's part of a conversation and even seems to relish it when his sarkiness is met with a good retort. I felt that to be the case with Weir in New Order and particularly in this ep with Vala.
            I can see your point, and even partially agree, although I still wish it were different. It appears to me that Michael Shanks' acting is becoming 'courser' as he plays Daniel; where he used to portray an emotion with just a glance, he's now going OTT with jerky lines and slapstick movements. He's still miles above a lot of actors his age, but I feel he's going backwards talent-wise rather than forward. His own natural, artistic insticts were breathtaking once, but now it's as though he wants to come in. play with his friends and go home. There's no heart and soul left in his performances anymore and that saddens me. I'd hoped for a good, meaty episode and instead received more candy floss.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelagia
              I don't know what I think of this yet, I'll have to watch again and then decide. I know I found all the sexual innuendo to be terribly childish and immature writing-wise. The first bit with Vala in the Super Soldier outfit coming on to Daniel was funny, but after that it got old rather quickly. The fight between Vala and Daniel was simply ridiculous and way OTT. I always thought Stargate was supposed to be a Drama, but the writers seem to be trying for a comedy and falling short.

I'm also getting tired of hearing Jack's words come out of Daniel's mouth and for this I blame the writers. Daniel is not Jack. He isn't a sarcastic, jokes at the wrong moment, silly, brainless git. You could have exchanged Jack for Daniel in a lot of this episode and not had to change the lines at all. That's not good.

This could have been a very good dramatic episode, with Vala having once played host to a goa'uld and survived where Shau'ri died. Instead we got .... I'm not sure exactly what we got.

CB did a pretty good job, and MS was good as he channeled Jack. Good to see DSD back and that Walter was there, but lose the lass with the hiccups, that was simply ridiculous.

I'd truly like to see less of the buffed up military Daniel, and more of the old linguist/archeaological man.
              I totally agree with you Pelagia. This was a total none episode. Nothing happened. And you're right they passed up a fantastic opportunity to have a nice dramatic Daniel centric episode instead we end up with Carry on Stargate...

It was great to see DSD again and I hope we get to see a lot more of him in the future.
              Sam....

Comment

This was a bizarre episode. I mean, it was weird seeing Hammond act heroic and go onto that ship to get the crystals. I suppose it was more shock than anything!

Then there was the whole Vala thing. Dear oh dear. I agree with previous posters; her character just came across all wrong. Definitely not what I had in mind, I'll tell you what. Hopefully the character isn't quite the same for whatever eps the rest of the season has in store for her.

It was great seeing Hammond again though. Damn that hiccupping woman too! I was hoping she'd have gotten left behind
                "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Fantastic episode.... C.B will be a great replacement for A.T.

The chemistry between her and Daniel was far better than we ever saw between Jack/Sam.

cant wait for season 9!!!!
                  sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

So, overall, the ep was good? I'm glad. I haven't been too excited about this ep, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing it (not that that's anything new). If they can achieve two great eps in a row, I have more than enough faith in them to make the rest of the season just great.

Spoiler:
                    I just hope they don't ruin it during the ninth season with the Farscape Reunion

Comment

Best episode so far this season

Most definately. I was in stiches at most of it. I laughed the entire way through the opening credits after seeing Jack's reaction to "I'm taking Walter too"

I didn't like Novak in the first scene, but she was fine after that. When she tells Reynolds to give Hammond mouth to mouth... I could hardly breath I was laughing so much there. And Walter blowing the crap out of the other ships... priceless

Vala was really good, but how much of what she said was true? It's a good thing she'll be back in Season 9 anyway. I thought most of the sexual innuendo was funny. And the fight between the two of them had shades of Xander vs. Harmony

I only had one problem with the episode: damned humanoid aliens. If they had to be alien, could they not have made them Serrakin or something? (though that would have resulted in further questions from Daniel...) This race better be back, they need a name. *glares at PTB*

Also, did I see Sgt. Bosworth in the credits? It flashed by pretty quicky, but I thought I saw Bosworth written there...

So, absolutely brilliant episode, far surpassed my expectations (which were actually high, so that means it was really good)

Comment

...First Jack is only in there for like 5 minutes ..right at the beginning..and no Sam at all

The episode is OK but I will never watch it again...it's very Daniel centric ...why not !!!! Daniel deserves his episode too although he is far from being my favorite character but he was hot in that episode ..Vala thought so too ..Daniel is not vala's boyfriend ...he zats her at the end ..before she had time to speak again ...Vala finds Daniel attractive compared to the other ones of the prometheus crew ....this is why she kept him mostly ....Vala is probably in need of sex ..she does mention sex to Daniel in the episode ....They have a fight ..and it's hilarious ...I laughed so much ..They were very good ..She kicks him in the !!!!!!It hurts ..poor Daniel ....Vala was a lot to cope with for Daniel ..but I think TPTB made Daniel play the John Crichton fellow a lot ..specially when he carries her ...and in the fight too.

Hammond was there and it was nice to see him ...sg3 was there too...and they got transported by vala in her ship which was a go'aould ship .

Then she kept Daniel ...when Vala and Daniel first meet ...Vala is dressed with a supersoldier outfit and is undestructible ...and she said to Daniel she finds him attractive.. still wearing the supersoldier mask ..Daniel panicks and says "You are not my style" then she takes off her helmet and we see her with her long black hair like Eayrin Sun. Eventually she takes all her supersoldier outfit ..and she wears a very tight black outfit [a bit catsuit)
                        ..very sexy I suppose for a guy to watch...After the fight with Daniel he zatts her a first time and puts her in a secluded room ..but she does not wear the same clothes anymore ...so she obviuosly knows that Daniel changed her in proper gear ..She tells him that because he saw her naked ..he can do lunch for her because she is starving ...and she eats at one end of the table and Daniel at the other end with his zat gun right by his hand just in case.

Anyway ..she says she wants the prometheus because she wants to save her people ..but apparently she made a deal with other aliens of another planet to exchange the prometheus against the Naquadah that they have ..The deal does not happen ..because Hammond and the others found a way to make the go'aould ship work ..( Vala made sure the go'aould ship will not follow them) and go and save Daniel and Vala ...Vala helps Daniel at the end ...She is a good person really ....he does not know what to do with her ...so I suppose he puts her back in the secluded room!!!! and at the end she escapes ..and he says to Hammond and the other ones "She is good"

There is also that military girl who has the Hickup during the whole episode ..but this is a minor plotline I wonder why they had to do that but anyway .

Daniel was John Crichton and Vala was very much Earyn.....They left the ship open ...between Daniel and Vala ..we can not conclude that they'll be an item ..Vala was a bit much for Daniel ..After the fight he was so relieved when he zats her ...and at the end too ..he zats her again ..and *sigh*

Quite a good episode ... some hilarious scenes....but I'm not a Daniel fan therefore I probably won't watch it again .. Daniel was hot though in that one ....but I liked Vala .....I think she 'll be good for the show while AT is away for the first 5 weeks of season 9

Caty
                        Last edited by Catysg1; 21 December 2004, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959
                          Fantastic episode.... C.B will be a great replacement for A.T.

The chemistry between her and Daniel was far better than we ever saw between Jack/Sam.

cant wait for season 9!!!!

Don't forget that Sam and Jack are military and can't consort that way..and Vala and Daniel are just normal people ...who can do whatever they please anytime ...anywhere...and they call each other by their little names too ..I think this is important to consider in the story line

CB is not replacing AT ..she(Vala) is an alien ..not a colonel ..and she is only filling the gap because of AT's baby ..and yes I think she is a good thing but ...Sam is Sam and I really like her ...and I like Vala too...I don't think AT would appreciate the word "replacement " to be honest.

I think it's more a question of compensating the lack of availability

Caty

Comment

I loved that Vala was bringing sex into everything. Not all characters should be the same, some should be a little "weird". I must say I agree 100% with Teal'c, this was the episode I looked forward to the most, and I must say I really liked it. And I think we can settle the "energy weapons", since they wouldn't run out of ammo

I said 6 months ago or so that I thought this episode would make a really really good story line if followed up, and TPTB seems to agree with me

I loved Novak btw.

Oh and Prometheus with Asgard hyperdrive = 1,300,000c an increase with 1,100,000 from the Nr. one.
                            Last edited by aAnubiSs; 21 December 2004, 03:15 PM.

Comment

OK...

If this is what happens when Farscape actors are let on to the SG1 set then this is not a good omen for S9!

1. OK...which writer's dumbarsed idea was it to have the most prominent female crewmember in this episode hiccup for the entire ep!

2. I was LOLing for the entire Daniel-Vala conflict - not sure I was supposed to be though.

3. Having said that, it was good to see Hammond again, and his one-on-one with Jack at the beginning was class!

In short Joe, if you got that stash from the Farscape crew - please dump the rest down the drain!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Ok loved it, loved it! Below are my fav bits:

1. Jack and Daniel together again!

2. General Hammond, his chair and Jack looking so gormless in front of him once more!

3. Daniel thinking the super soldier was coming onto him and also the part where he was wincing at her taking the helmet off.

4. the fight - esp the bit where Daniel was kicked over the control panel and his legs flew up in the air.

5. Daniel and the aliens - "Hans Olo" and "I'm not surprised. Do I look surprised?"

6. Reynolds at the thought of giving mouth to mouth to General Hammond

7. Walter in general (i think he's been great with his extra airtime in season 8)

8. Daniel in general.

9. I agree the best line was "you're a fruitcake"

10. Daniel getting some action (bless him its been five years!)

I really thought this was a great episode, it was nice to have a funny episode after the more serious Sacrifices/Endgame and Gemini. Ok, so it was a bit OTT at times, but it was funny because of it, and i certainly think it left you wanting more - finding out what Vala's deal is and I really want the rest of SG-1 to see his chemistry with her. I think its good he got some action, he was funny, quippy and held his own. I have to admit I didn't really miss Teal'c or Sam, and the bit of Jack, although short was well worth it. There were a couple of things I didn't like (that hiccup woman mainly) but what I also thought was nice about this episode was that it gave time to other people, Reynolds, SG -3, Hammond and Walter. Think I'm going to watch it again now!

Comment

Working...
                                X