This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Phase...(Technically Speaking)

Ok, this came to me as I was asking something about the stargate.

We all know some things don't completely add up in the series. There are questions unanswered, for reasons that are just unknown.

And as you get more technical about fiction, you tend to find holes and unanswered questions.

In the episode Crystal Skull, Daniel becomes out of phase, when Teal'c shot the skull as it tried to allow them to see the ghost like aliens.
    And this also happened in the episode Arthors Mantle, to Carter and Mitchell.

But here is what confuses me. If someone is out of phase and they can walk through walls, through people and objects, why wouldn't they fall through the floors???

And I think as a joke in the spin off series called worm-hole xtreme, this was meantioned. And they gave no answer.

I'm curious if anyone can come up with some explaintion for this???
    ...Destroyer of all...

But here is what confuses me. If someone is out of phase and they can walk through walls, through people and objects, why wouldn't they fall through the floors???
    It appears that horizontal objects, being at 90' to the vertical are somehow existant in both phases and vertical objects are existant in only one. Therefore a person who has been pushed out of phase to their reality will be able to walk on floors and sit on filing cabinets but will be able to pass through walls and doors.

The same phenomenon can be observed in "Star Trek: TNG" when La Forge and Ro Laren are pushed out of phase by a Romulan accident.

How's that?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
      It appears that horizontal objects, being at 90' to the vertical are somehow existant in both phases and vertical objects are existant in only one. Therefore a person who has been pushed out of phase to their reality will be able to walk on floors and sit on filing cabinets but will be able to pass through walls and doors.

The same phenomenon can be observed in "Star Trek: TNG" when La Forge and Ro Laren are pushed out of phase by a Romulan accident.

How's that?
      Wow! Not a bad explaination.

Oh I forget about the cabinents, lol. That just makes the phenomenon stranger, lol.
      ...Destroyer of all...

Comment

i always thought that it was gravitons acting on matter, the less downward force on an object the more likely you can pass through it.

Comment

It's possible that the person that is out of phase actually needs to want to move through objects, and i don't think anybody wants to fall through floors.

Comment

i think it can be explained by scientific jargon or made up scientific jargon. But the core thought is that watching the character fall through the floor, pass through the centre of the planet, only to appear on the other side and fall back again due to the change in gravity would not be fun to watch.

Comment

In the episode 'Sight Unseen' where the insects from another dimension are being seen in and out of the SGC, they explain that as they are aware of our dimension they can crawl on solid matter or pass through it as they choose.

I think it all comes down to the person who is out of phase, they expect to be able to walk through things but there subconscious won't let them fall through the floor. If they wanted to enough, I'm sure they could effect their own dimension from the one they are in. Characters in SG-1 have only ever been out of phase for a matter of hours, if they were there long enough they could do what they want. How else would Merlin have managed to do all of his research in another dimension?
              Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

I think the more concerning this is how they walk?

If they aren't in contact with any surface, there is no friction and they'd keep slipping. Well actually, they wouldn't be able to take a step without falling over and through to their death...

I just prefer not to think about the impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                  ...due to the change in gravity would not be fun to watch.
                  But I'm talking technically. I don't care if it wouldn't be fun to watch. There are alot of things that could be fun if it was done a different way.

I'm just trying to make sense what they wrote in the episode. I know that if you dig deep enough, you'll only find unanswered questions.

^ Did that not just sound like something Oma would say, lol
                  ...Destroyer of all...

Comment

My theory has been that theyre in a noncoporeal state, they just look like they used to because thats how they see themselves. Theyre not actually walking or talking or walking 'on' the floor. Theyre etherial ghosts, formless coherant energy.

Like when an ascended being takes a human form to interact with the lower planes. Its not actually physically there as a bipedal human, it just seems like it.

Comment

Originally posted by JadeStarkiller View Post
                      Ok, this came to me as I was asking something about the stargate.

We all know some things don't completely add up in the series. There are questions unanswered, for reasons that are just unknown.

And as you get more technical about fiction, you tend to find holes and unanswered questions.

In the episode Crystal Skull, Daniel becomes out of phase, when Teal'c shot the skull as it tried to allow them to see the ghost like aliens.
                      And this also happened in the episode Arthors Mantle, to Carter and Mitchell.

And I think as a joke in the spin off series called worm-hole xtreme, this was meantioned. And they gave no answer.

I'm curious if anyone can come up with some explaintion for this???
                      Because.
                      The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        i always thought that it was gravitons acting on matter, the less downward force on an object the more likely you can pass through it.
                        Funny, I never realized that the force exerted by a person simply taking a step varied as much as it does to the forward momentum created by the same action. I guess that means that if a 5 year old ever ends up out of phase that you'd better hope that he/she doesn't pitch a temper tantrum and jump up and down. Guess that also rules out jumping rope when your out of phase. At least if you fall down an elevator shaft you wouldn't die from the fall and would just keep falling right through the Earth to the other side of the planet.
                        The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

I guess the floor and also the air(!) is always in both phases.

Comment

Firstly a scientific answer: HA ha ha ha, out of phase, what nonsense!

Originally posted by HAL2100 View Post
                            Funny, I never realized that the force exerted by a person simply taking a step varied as much as it does to the forward momentum created by the same action. I guess that means that if a 5 year old ever ends up out of phase that you'd better hope that he/she doesn't pitch a temper tantrum and jump up and down. Guess that also rules out jumping rope when your out of phase. At least if you fall down an elevator shaft you wouldn't die from the fall and would just keep falling right through the Earth to the other side of the planet.
                            I think that was supposed to be the other way round. The more force you apply the more real it is for you.

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post

How's that?
                            That is excellent! I love it. It's as daft and scientifically inaccurate as the whole out of phase concept is.

Comment

You know, we could take Stargate's own explanation to heart:

Originally posted by Wormhole X-Treme!

REESE
                              Guys.

MARTIN
                              (smiling)
                              Ah, Miss Reese.

REESE
                              Uh, I'm having a little trouble with Scene 27. It says that I'm "out of phase" which means that I can pass my hand through solid matter, or I can walk through walls.

DIRECTOR
                              Yeah, yeah, that's right, because you're "out of phase."

MARTIN
                              (patronizing)
                              Um, exactly.

REESE
                              So, how come I don't fall through the floor?

MARTIN
                              (unsuccessfully trying to sound confident)
                              We're going to have to get back to you on that one.

REESE
                              Right.
                              From http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

Comment

Working...
                              X