No announcement yet.

Your choice - you can save one and cancel the other: Doctor Who Vs Torchwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your choice - you can save one and cancel the other: Doctor Who Vs Torchwood

Which would you save and why?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Uh, Doctor Who no question. It's the better show, it's been around forever, and I don't want to imagine a world without such an essential staple of science fiction.

Torchwood is good and all, but it didn't find its feet until the second half of its second series, and after a great third series it seems as good a time as any to finish it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Doctor. Didn't even need to use any brain power for that decision. Torchwood would need a serious retcon that isn't going to happen. I am not going to touch that show with a ten foot pole any more. Also in the case of the doctor a retcon is fairly simple. Just kill the doctor and get a new better one. Also the doctor is an cultural icon and ....well he is THE DOCTOR.

If Torchwood is coming back BTW I ain't gonna watch -_-
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

Definitely Doctor Who. When I finally got around to trying the show, I was hooked almost immediately. I loved both CE and DT as the Doctor, and I think I'm one of the few people I know who enjoyed all three companions.

I tried TW twice, starting with S1, then skipping ahead to S2 when someone told me it got better then. But I just couldn't get into it, and some of the characters actively annoyed me (Jack & Gwen). I was thinking about maybe trying again with CoE, but after hearing how that went, not so much. Not really my style of show.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

I love Torchwood even Children of Earth, but it just isn't Doctor Who so save the Doctor
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Always gotta be The Doctor. He is a British institution.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              Dr Who because it's just plain better, Torchwood was ok but it just never lived up to the hype

Comment

No question, Doctor Who!

I did like Children of the Earth, but you can't really compare it to the adventures of the Doctor.
                sigpic
                My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  DW is a national institution and a worldwide success. This shouldnt eveb be an option.

SJA and TW would be better

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                  If Torchwood is coming back BTW I ain't gonna watch -_-
                  Why? Just because a bunch of overrated tea-sippers and ciphers are dead? The only character I want given a second chance is Tosh, but I can certaingly enjoy the first three seasons and move forward. I hate this attitude people have to not embracing change. It irks me.

Comment

Dr. Who. No question. And I've only ever seen 2 episodes of new-Who, but those 2 episodes were so far above anything TW has ever done (including CoE).

Originally posted by Zarius View Post
                    Why? Just because a bunch of overrated tea-sippers and ciphers are dead? The only character I want given a second chance is Tosh, but I can certaingly enjoy the first three seasons and move forward. I hate this attitude people have to not embracing change. It irks me.
                    Hard as it is to believe, some people didn't like CoE, and lots of people didn't like it for reasons that have very little to do with Ianto's death. I personally watched TW for the camp and cheese and the rediculous overacting, not the srs bsns that the new series was. TW was my bad sci-fi guilty pleasure.
                    Last edited by Ashizuri; 21 August 2009, 09:04 AM.
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarius View Post
                      DW is a national institution and a worldwide success. This shouldnt eveb be an option.

SJA and TW would be better

Ok... realistically - I mean Doctor Who in it's current format, the style and set up. You know?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'd probably save Doctor Who just because it's the series I am more familiar with, although I watched Torchwwod eppies before the Doctor's ones. And watching the Doctor made understand T. better, logically.
                        sigpic
                        Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                        Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

In the end, I have to say Doctor who. It's a cultural institution, and the charming energy of the Doctor is fantastic. If I hadn't just seen Children of Earth, I would say it was an easy choice to go with the doctor. Following Children of Earth, however, its a lot more difficult.

Torchwood was good but never really fit in seasons 1-2. It felt like they were trying too hard to be an adult Dr. Who and be profoundly serious (Not that Dr. Who dosen't get serious, but its no Galactica) while retaining the campiness. But Children of Earth made Torchwood something different, something wonderful. It's even more removed from Dr. Who, but that's a good thing in my book. It was a powerful work of art, full of profound sadness and yet also hope. I wasn't expecting something so powerful,and it really threw me for a loop. I wasn't the same all week. It punched me in the heart, which is a GOOD thing. I could blab with praise for it all day, but you get the idea .

I think Children of Earth beats ANYTHING Dr. Who has put out so far (and trust me, I LOVE Dr. Who). That said, there simply isn't the longevity, cultural awareness, or fun energy of Dr. Who in Torchwood (What happens when John Barrowman starts aging? It's not Torchwood without Jack, I don't want to watch the Gwen Cooper Show).

But I really hope both continue for many years to come!
                          "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
                          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I'd have to say Doctor Who. It can go on for a long time, the concept of regeneration is brilliant. And the Doctor is one of the greatest sci-fi characters ever created.Torchwood is great too, but I'd have to pick Doctor Who.

Comment

Doctor Who.

I like the premise of Torchwood, but it's to darn depressing to watch! Captain Jack is one of my favorite characters on DW, but everytime I watch TW I end up regretting it.

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
                              Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

Working...
                              X