Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major plot hole in 'First Contact/Lost Tribe' story. (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major plot hole in 'First Contact/Lost Tribe' story. (Spoilers)

I have been re watching the entire ten series of SG-1 before Stargate Universe starts and I have just finished the fifth series, which concludes with 'Revelations.' This is the episode where we are introduced to Heimdall and the Asgard's secret that they are all clones.

During this episode Heimdall states that the Asgard have not been able to reproduce, other than through cloning for over a thousand years. It is clearly stated in the Atlantis two parter of 'First Contact' and 'The Lost Tribe' that the Pegasus Asgard arrived in Pegasus before the Lanteans left in order to experiment on humans in order to solve the cloning problem. This was over TEN thousand years ago!

How did TPTB forget this fact? Or did they just choose to ignore it?
    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
    I have been re watching the entire ten series of SG-1 before Stargate Universe starts and I have just finished the fifth series, which concludes with 'Revelations.' This is the episode where we are introduced to Heimdall and the Asgard's secret that they are all clones.

During this episode Heimdall states that the Asgard have not been able to reproduce, other than through cloning for over a thousand years. It is clearly stated in the Atlantis two parter of 'First Contact' and 'The Lost Tribe' that the Pegasus Asgard arrived in Pegasus before the Lanteans left in order to experiment on humans in order to solve the cloning problem. This was over TEN thousand years ago!

There's a tonne of dialogue errors throughout Stargate. The simple fact is the show did go for 15 years and sometimes the writers just aren't as observant as us fans who live and breath every facet of the franchise.
    Meh.

Comment

The fact that they lost the ability to reproduce sexually doesnt mean they started cloning at the same time.
      Most likely they lost that ability because of the genetic breakdown of their dna due to cloning.
      Maybe the Pegasus Asgard foresaw this problem and that's the reason they left, though 10.000 years seems a bit far fetched =)
      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by MathiasE View Post
        The fact that they lost the ability to reproduce sexually doesnt mean they started cloning at the same time.
        Most likely they lost that ability because of the genetic breakdown of their dna due to cloning.
        Maybe the Pegasus Asgard foresaw this problem and that's the reason they left, though 10.000 years seems a bit far fetched =)
        There is a gap of nine thousand years, it is quite a prediction on behalf of the Pegasus Asgard if that is true.

I think TPTB just wrote it regardless, Loki had only been doing unauthorised experiments on humans on Earth for a few decades from we understand from 'Orpheus.' I really doubt any Asgard were as desperate as this when the problem first arose.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post

All that really says is that they've used cloning exclusively for the last 1000 yrs. It doesn't really say they started then.

Evolution takes a very long time.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
            All that really says is that they've used cloning exclusively for the last 1000 yrs. It doesn't really say they started then.

Evolution takes a very long time.
            It seems to me that if there were certain Asgard that could reproduce and others that couldn't, they would have been able to solve the problem. All they would have to do is clone the Asgard that could reproduce and put the others into these new bodies.

Even if they couldn't solve it, moving to Pegasus in the middle of a galaxy wide war between two races far more advanced than they are was incredibly stupid to say the least. And as we know the Asgard and the Ancients were close allies, why didn't the Lanteans help them? If they were so convinced that humans were the answer, surely a Lantean would be a better subject to study? They had higher brain power and the ability to regenerate, who knows about their lifespan. It could be far longer than unevolved humans.

On a side note, wouldn't it have made sense for the Asgard to take the Lanteans to Ida? Why would they want to go back to a planet that none of them had ever stepped foot on? The Asgard were an advanced society, who would have lived side by side with them.

Comment

Working...
            X