Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olmos: 'Battlestar Galactica' Prompts United Nations To Change Charter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler:
    However, actor's claim has yet to be independently verified
    By MICHAEL HINMAN Jul-27-2009
    Source: G4
    olmosmug07272009.jpg
    "Battlestar Galactica" has been influential in the lives of millions of fans, but probably never like this.

Becoming the first television show ever invited to speak at the United Nations last March would be enough for some people. But not series star Edward James Olmos. Instead, he was out to change the very core of the United Nations itself. And he succeeded.

"The United Nations changed their charter three weeks ago after 'Battlestar' went and spoke at the UN," Olmos told G4's "Attack of the Show." "They changed the entire understanding of their charter that was written in 1947 so that they would never use the word 'race' as a cultural determinate again. There is only one race, and that is the human race."

The news of the charter change has not been made public until that announcement, Olmos said. A search for press releases over the past seven months on the United Nations Web site produced no results for "race" and "charter," and there are no other reports that such a change has been made.

"Nobody knows that the charter has been changed," Olmos said. "It's one of the hardest things that happened to me, and it would've never happened but if it weren't for 'Battlestar.' Did they invite 'The Sopranos?' Did they invite 'The West Wing?'

"'Battlestar and its writers decided to take on what was happening now. The reconciliation between the Cylon and the human being. How did that happen? How could it happen? If the Palestinian and the Jew could only see 'Battlestar,' they would understand how to reconcile."

Olmos did not explain how he was allowed to be the first to break the news, and why it seems that nothing about the charter change was made available through the United Nations. In fact, the charter that is still published on the UN's official site still uses the word "race" as part of its cultural determinant, so it's unclear why such changes have not been reflected in official documents.

The charter was not signed in 1947, but rather on June 26, 1945, and was put into full force in October of that year. Among its purposes listed for the United Nations in Article I, it continues to state that "to achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction to race, sex, language, or religion."

The power to amend or modify the charter is listed in Chapter XVIII has to take place after approval by a two-thirds vote of the members of the General Assembly as well as by a vote of nine members of the Security Council. Any alterations would have to be ratified by two-thirds of the members, including all the permanent members of the Security Council.

It is not clear if such a move was made, and if so, how such a massive undertaking was not previously reported in the media.

An attempt late Monday to reach the United Nations by e-mail is pending return, as is a message to G4 asking if they had verified the statement made by Olmos during the interview.

In the meantime, see Olmos' entire interview with "Attack of the Show" below.

Here is the link.

Nice

Comment

About damn time people, and especially american people, stop using the word race to divide humans. That's what racism is all about.

Too bad a TV show is needed to make people realise that.

Comment

Unfortunately, it isn't true.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sounded too good to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
            About damn time people, and especially american people, stop using the word race to divide humans. That's what racism is all about.

ahhh, but its not especially Americans...Plenty of racist people around. It is just more apparent in America because of its status as a super power. At least we don't wage genocidal wars like they do in Africa. Or be really prejudiced like many are in South America or Asia. Hell, in Asia, they are racist toward each other. Koreans, Chinese, Japanese....And in regards to Europe, they aren't above racism at all. Far from it. They had fought wars that devestated Europe in world war 1, world war 2. Oh yes....I almost forgot the middle east. Now there is some racism there. They kill each other over sectionalism and their religion dictates that we are all inferior because we are not followers of islam. At least that is how I interpreted "Kill the infidel" when I read the Koran. Trust me when I say, compared to others in the world, Americans are not as racist. Any racism for the most part is just a bunch of angry mutterings, although there is hate crime. You can't wholly eradicate that. But its unfair to Americans and myself to say we are the prevalent racists of the world. At least we are learning to get away from it, at least the majority populace is.
            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Wow, that is real smart, you just mentioned a group and said that they do something thus distinguishing themselves from you, bravo. Now America is not a race, but that kind of generalities must stop at all. What do you mean especially American people, all people do it, you are doing it right now, there is no 'race' or country that is guilt free from this crime. But there are a lot of people in each country and in each group who do not do this, I most certainly am not, and I am very proud of my country and its heritage, I am proud to be an American. Comments like these are only inflmatory, deragratory, and only serve to divide people futher and make them mad, thus doing the very same thing that you accuse americans of doing.
              Maybe you need to rewatch that TV show then?

Comment

There's no need to jump on me like this.

I never said racism is an american thing. Far from it! I'm well aware of the european and japanese history being an historian myself. Maybe I should have made myself more clear and I'm sorry if it came out wrong.

What I meant is that it's always shocked me how american people (as in North-American) still use the word race to divide humans. In my country, the people that use this word are the racist ones. I'm just glad more and more american people are seeing this because I've tried for ages to make some understand that there are no human races! They kept telling me stories about how they had to fill in their race in administrative files for school or else, and I was appalled. People tend to think being racist applies only when you establish a hierarchy between so called "races" or when you discriminate people because of their skin color, the shape of their eyes etc. Being a racist is, before everything, dividing humans into races. That was my point.

There are different kind of racisms and it's about time this vocabulary problem is recognized as one of them. And yes, the countries of North America are especially guilty of it, and to some extent the UK and the Commonwealth countries. I think it's an english language thing: the word race didn't get this very pejorative meaning it now has in other countries like Germany or France. It's an easy problem to overcome with education. Far easier than discrimination based on physical traits which is the most common form of racism worldwide.

Comment

There's no need to jump on me like this.

I never said racism is an american thing. Far from it! I'm well aware of the european and japanese history being an historian myself. Maybe I should have made myself more clear and I'm sorry if it came out wrong.

What I meant is that it's always shocked me how american people (as in North-American) still use the word race to divide humans. In my country, the people that use this word are the racist ones. I'm just glad more and more american people are seeing this because I've tried for ages to make some understand that there are no human races! They kept telling me stories about how they had to fill in their race in administrative files for school or else, and I was appalled. People tend to think being racist applies only when you establish a hierarchy between so called "races" or when you discriminate people because of their skin color, the shape of their eyes etc. Being a racist is, before everything, dividing humans into races. That was my point.

There are different kind of racisms and it's about time this vocabulary problem is recognized as one of them. And yes, the countries of North America are especially guilty of it, and to some extent the UK and the Commonwealth countries. I think it's an english language thing: the word race didn't get this very pejorative meaning it now has in other countries like Germany or France. It's an easy problem to overcome with education. Far easier than discrimination based on physical traits which is the most common form of racism worldwide.
                  Well thanks for clearing this up And it did sound like that when you say things like 'especially', but now that you have cleared it up.
                  And maybe you are right, I cannot say that you do not raise a perfectly valid point with this post here. I have often been asked on everything from school work, to college applications, to job applications, to other stuff to state my race. Its being used in this country as a means to gain political power from certain groups and members. I will even be blogging about this issue later on.
                  So yeah, you do have a point, and I am sorry if I did come off a little strongly, I just don't especially being liked to be associated with rascists, or called one myself.

Comment

You have to know that this is also one of my many pet peeves. I can get into out of control rants pretty easily! Thankfully I tried my best to stay away from the SGU drama... And I thought I was a drama queen!

Comment

You have to know that this is also one of my many pet peeves. I can get into out of control rants pretty easily! Thankfully I tried my best to stay away from the SGU drama... And I thought I was a drama queen!
                      Yeah so can I, I seem to be getting a lot better at that the more time goes along. But this is a perfect example, because of this thread, and your post, I was fuming, I was steaming, part of me was enraged and very hurt by a lot of the stuff that was going on in here and to this thread, especially the discrimination. For you do have a good point, but it was said in such a way as to indicate that pretty much only Americans do this, or we are and have been the main culprit. Where as personally I do not know, and I do not think you can make a statement like that without sounding discriminatory and predudice, even if the facts and stats some how bare you out.
                      But in the end the unfortanate thing is that you made a very valid point about what is going on, I think you might find my blog about this interesting when I write it, I have been wantint to for awhile now, its just that you have given me more amunition and more to think about

Comment

I think we sum up well the whole american/french relationship. hahaha

Comment

I think we sum up well the whole american/french relationship. hahaha
                          *snort* Oh please please please don't get me started on that

Comment

While it is true that the UN has not changed their charter, they did acknowledge the issue regarding using the term "race" as a cultural determinant in the following article from their Outcome Document resulting from the Durban Review Conference in April '09.
                            6. Reaffirms that all peoples and individuals constitute one human family, rich in diversity, and that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights; and strongly rejects any doctrine of racial superiority along with theories which attempt to determine the existence of so-called distinct human races;

No doubt this was influenced by, if not a direct result of, EJO's well-justified "rant" at the UN just prior to the conference.

Spoiler:
                            "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
                            ---Bill Adama

Comment

Working...
                            X