• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Siege, Part 2 (120)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 120

A new military contingent from Earth is sent to take command of Atlantis and defend it from the impending Wraith attack.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 08:31 PM.

Better late than never right? Have fun!

Can I just say how much I HATE Col. Everett? Smarmy SOB. And what an idiot to try to cut Wier out of the loop. I mean surely he would take into consideration that the people who have been serving on Atlantis would feel loyalty to her and that it might make the transition to his command smoother if he kept her around? I hope he's not the new commander for season 2. Ick.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Summary for "The Siege, Part 2" (episode 1x20)

Dr. McKay returns from the Ancient satellite mission and is informed by Dr. Weir that the remaining Wraith hive ships have started moving again but at a much slower pace. She also states they are out of options to fight the Wraith. When Lt. Ford announces the final group in Atlantis is ready to evacuate to the designated Alpha site, Weir and Major Sheppard arm the city self-destruct.

As they are dialing the Alpha site, an incoming wormhole suddenly appears. It’s from the SGC! Colonel Everett brings a large team of marines and equipment through and promptly relieves Dr. Weir of command of Atlantis. Brushing aside the surprise and objections of the Atlantis expedition, Everett starts issuing orders to set up a defence of Atlantis, countermanding the previously activated self-destruct plan.

Everett reveals that Earth has finally located a ZPM in Egypt and used it to power the gate to connect to Atlantis. Not only that but Earth’s newest battlecruiser, the Daedalus, was enroute, bringing the ZPM to use to power the Atlantis city defences. Using the ZPM, the Daedalus will reach Atlantis in under four days. Meanwhile, Everett orders Sheppard to begin instructing Ancient gene enhanced pilots on how to fly the puddle jumpers. Sheppard himself, however, will not be part of that flying defence. Instead, Everett wants him to use the city’s control chair, much like O’Neill did in Antarctica against Anubis’ fleet.

The marines have brought along several rail guns originally slated for upgrading Prometheus and six naquada-enhanced nuclear warheads which they proceed to position as space mines using jumpers in stealth mode. Everett has also brought a second generation naquada generator which has its power boosted 600%. It won’t last as long as a ZPM but it should power the chair long enough for it to be useful. Once the chair is powered up though, McKay makes an alarming discovery – it’s almost depleted of drones, probably during Atlantis last defence against the Wraith 10,000 years ago.

Sensors detect a huge wave of objects approaching the planet. Apparently the Wraith have sent a hundred-plus asteroids hurtling towards Atlantis. Long-range sensors didn’t perceive them as a threat, hence didn’t react to them earlier. The asteroids mostly burn up in the planet’s atmosphere but they succeed in knocking out the minefield and causing radiation overload of Atlantis’ sensors. While Atlantis is temporarily blinded, Wraith Darts start making attack runs. Anti-aircraft tracers light up the skies as the marine gunners fend off this initial Wraith offensive.

Sheppard suggests a new tactic of using a cloaked jumper to directly attack the hive ships while Drs. McKay and Zelenka work on a way to control the jumper remotely from the control chair. Suddenly Teyla arrives and announces that she is sensing the Wraith presence within Atlantis. Apparently the kamikaze Dart runs weren’t so kamikaze after all and up to thirty Wraith infiltrators may have beamed down inside the city. Everett assembles teams to comb the city and hunt them down. They are successful but not before experiencing casualties and losing a naquada generator.

Meanwhile, Dr. Weir goes on a mission to the Genii, hoping to convince them to set aside their animosity towards the Atlanteans and offering them a no-risk opportunity to test their nuclear arsenal against the Wraith. It took some persuasion but Weir returns with two nuclear warheads, which are then placed aboard two jumpers.

The hive ships launch another wave of Dart attacks and more Wraith fighters are beamed into the city. Frustrated that McKay and Zelenka have been unable to get the chair and remote-control jumpers working, Sheppard heads for the jumper bay, intent on flying one of the bomb-ladened craft himself.

As Wraith ground forces surround the embattled defenders and close in on the Atlantis control centre, Weir and McKay re-arm the self-destruct sequence. In the cloaked jumper, Sheppard continues to approach the Wraith hive ships, apparently still undetected.

TO BE CONTINUED…

...and credits roll.
      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

I HATE Col. Everett too! His voice annoys the hell out of me. He's just... grrr annoying.

He's probably gonna end up dead the way that that Wraith was looking at him.

I don't think we have to worry about him taking over.

I have to say that I love Rodney and Zelenka.

Also have to say that I loved the lightshow. That was so cool!

Loved the Wraith attack.

I'm kind of excited yet sad that it's (at least) a three parter! Jeez, they gotta leave us like THAT??

Col. Everett kind of ruined a bit of the episode for me with his voice. That makes me sad...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Buzz Lightyear... am I right to guess that you wrote that summary on Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
            Buzz Lightyear... am I right to guess that you wrote that summary on Monday?
            Yes! And I was just about to post it when you-know-what happened.
            To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
              Yes! And I was just about to post it when you-know-what happened.
              I tried to get to the forum here to type a nice little summary, but it didn't work. So I never bothered to make one... I'd have to watch the episode again to give a summary and I don't feel like doing that right now.

I just can't stand Everett!

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                Better late than never right? Have fun!

Can I just say how much I HATE Col. Everett? Smarmy SOB. And what an idiot to try to cut Wier out of the loop. I mean surely he would take into consideration that the people who have been serving on Atlantis would feel loyalty to her and that it might make the transition to his command smoother if he kept her around? I hope he's not the new commander for season 2. Ick.
                I also was initially turned off by Everett's boorishness, however, I think his attitude may reflect that of many hard-nosed military commanders. You've got to earn his respect (based on his own personal criteria of what constitutes worthy accomplishments), but once you do, he's in your corner, so to speak, for life. You can see how his view of Dr. Weir changes as the episode progresses. For the final address to the defenders of Atlantis, he graciously defers to her. Sheppard went through this same thing with Weir, to a lesser extent.

Also remember that Everett is probably career-military and no diplomat. No chitchat or conversational pleasantries even during peace time, and this is a time of war.

Those who know the military better may correct me if I'm wrong.
                To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                  I tried to get to the forum here to type a nice little summary, but it didn't work. So I never bothered to make one... I'd have to watch the episode again to give a summary and I don't feel like doing that right now.

I just can't stand Everett!
                  Humm, seems like we, three, all had the same idea, but BUZZ was the first past the post, so to speak. I agree cannot stand the Everett idoit. He grated on my nerves the whole darn time. Especially, when they were in the holographic room and his little confrontation with Sheppard. I so hope that wraith does some nasty life draining from him.
                  Aadizookaan

Comment

Originally posted by Aadizookaan
                    Humm, seems like we, three, all had the same idea, but BUZZ was the first past the post, so to speak. I agree cannot stand the Everett idoit. He grated on my nerves the whole darn time. Especially, when they were in the holographic room and his little confrontation with Sheppard. I so hope that wraith does some nasty life draining from him.
                    Why are all those military guys that come in so stupid?? They just think 'oh, they're not so bad'. They always end up dying, and that shouldn't change for him.

Comment

Everett is teh suxx0rs.

Shep is teh sexx0rs.

McKay is teh roxx0rs.

Zelenka is teh cuoot0rs.

To Be Continue-ds are teh... stoopidz0rs.

|| McKay: Do you know how much I hate certain death? ||
                      || Beckett: I'm a doctor, not a bloody fighter-pilot! ||
                      || Sheppard: Don't take on an alien armada single-handedly... Understood. ||

Comment

Originally posted by queenselqet31
                        Everett is teh suxx0rs.

Shep is teh sexx0rs.

McKay is teh roxx0rs.

Zelenka is teh cuoot0rs.

To Be Continue-ds are teh... stoopidz0rs.
                        ... Hey, you're supposed to be doing your college work!

I agree with what you say... just not how you said it.

What the hell is with all the 'suxx0rs' and such? They're so... silly and stupid

Comment

I get that they were trying to make him unlikeable, and they succeeded in that. But half the reason I don't like him is because his character is poorly conceived. And I'll thump anyone who says "It's only his first ep!" He seems too inconsistent from scene-to-scene. Sometimes even WITHIN a scene he's changing, and there's no flow to it. It'as as if his dialogue was written by three different people who didn't compare notes.

Take the harcore military no-BS attitude of O'Neil from the movie, throw in O'Neill's sarcasm and filter them through Peter DeLuise and... well, you still don't come close, but it gives you an idea of how odd the character sounds. And there's just something about his VOICE that doesn't scan right, either.

He's unbelievably stereotypical. No, scratch that, he's flat-out unbelievable. The cutesy "I'll buy you a drink" wasn't even that cute. It was condescending, stupid, and a blatant attempt at amusifying an unpalatable character.

Bates was back to his unpleasantly over-paranoid, rabid dog routine which is so overpowering it almost drowns out the very valid points he was trying to make. The folks who wrote this also wrote Suspicion, the only other ep when Bates has been ridiculously overboard in his otherwise legitimate concerns. They should try watching the eps they don't write- they might get a better idea of how the character should/could be done. (and there's an in joke in that for some people) Bates is a good character. I hate to see him being abused and blown out of proportion. He's had some good eps and I hope he'll have some more in S2.

The fight between Bates and Teyla was shocking... all the more so because I find it unbelieveable that Teyla would loose her cool like that. It was a rather blatant attempt to set up a red herring... as was finding Bates unconscious later on. That was another unbelieveable point. Why in the nine hells would a wraith EVER leave a victim beaten and unconscious... but still alive and un-fed upon? Trying to hide? Well, a comatose soldier is hardly likely to pass unnoticed and I doubt Bob knew enought about what was happening to surmise that people would suspect Teyla... and even that would only work for a while. Feed off him and stuff his body in the rafters. Or heck, tie a weight to him and toss him overboard- less chance of him being found and it might be a while before anyone realises he's missing.

But I digress. Despite my nitpicks, I thought this was a pretty good ep. The visuals were, as usual, stunning. LOVED the city shots. I hope they don't over-use it, as it's something that works best in small doses, but it was still very cool. The fight against the wraith darts was beautiful to watch. Almost seemed like a fireworks display at times. And in a way, it was.

McKay and Zelenka were fantasic. They're always a joy to watch and this time was no different. It's too bad they're the only two scientists in all of Atlantis capable of doing EVERYTHING, but if it means watching McKay get crankier and more obnoxious, I'm all for it. Looks as if we've finally solved the riddle of Doc Z's first name, too: Radek. Glad to put THAT argument to rest.

Weir is definitely now in my top five fave characters. Anyone who can successully negotiate a deal while blindfolded and tied up at the mercy of an enemy who hates her and all her people is pretty damn good in my book.

Wish I could feel more remorse over the loss of Grodin, but he was in the first few eps and then disappeared and put in a brief appearance somewhere before disappearing again and... well, it's hard to get worked up when we weren't given much of a chance to get into his character. Even Ford has gotten more than Grodin did, and that's really saying something.

Was not pleased to see the return of the Athosians. It's pretty obvious they were only a plot device to get Teyla onto the team and now they're kinda useless and only brought in when TPTB feel the need to remind us that THEY know the Athosians still exist. Good way to waste time, too. *sigh*

Likewise, I could care less what happens to Teyla. I'm sorry, but I've given her an entire season and the more I see of her, the less I like. The ONLY time I found her remotely interesting was in The Gift
                          Spoiler:
                          when she was possessed by a wraith.
                          It might interesting to see HER go darkside (even if unwillingly) but I doubt that we'd ever get that lucky. *sigh*

Poor Ford. Poor, poor Ford.

Can anyone tell me the name of the coffee-drinking Canuck scientist/gate tech who's been popping up in recent eps? I KNOW I've seen him somewhere before. I wanna say it's Brendan Beiser, but he's kinda my default Generic Vancouver Actor, so I could be wildly wrong.

I'd give Siege 1&2 a 3 out of 5. Extra points for good FX, but a few negs for gross negligence in characterization.

Comment

Queen and Marty,

Calm down, the Manitoban in us all, tell us not to display our infighting with non-Manitobans.

Plus, its warm and nice outside, play nice in the snow.
                            Aadizookaan

Comment

Originally posted by Aadizookaan
                              Queen and Marty,

Calm down, the Manitoban in us all, tell us not to display our infighting with non-Manitobans.

Plus, its warm and nice outside, play nice in the snow.
                              ... No.

It's warm in here.

We might get eaten by bears or rabid dogs if we go outside

... Or be attacked by Lola and her snow-jumping ways.

Anyways, on topic...

I liked The Siege part 2... It wasn't as good as the first one there. I was kind of disappointed for most of this episode, but the end (being a TO BE CONTINUED) made me kind of go, 'OMG!'...

Not as good as the first part...

Comment

Working...
                              X