This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briefly,
    Highlander II: The quickening was set 50 or so years in the future. It turns out that the Immortals were convicts sent from an alien world, sent here as punishment, but whoever wins the prize has the choice between living out a normal life and eventually dying, or returning home. Connor chose the former. The evil emperor guy who sent them here discovers that Connor won the prize and, thinking he's going to return home, sends agents to Earth to kill him. The now old Connor kills these two and receives a Quickening, which also brings back Ramirez (who I feel sorry for). The Emperor guy himself comes to Earth and sets himself up as a bad guy, Connor eventually defeats him.

Highlander III (can't remember the name): set about nine years after the first film, it completely ignores the second. It's about a Chinese immortal who's been trapped in a cave for the past four hundred years and comes out somewhat upset and looking for Connor. He has some impressive powers of illusion and uses these quite a lot. He kidnaps Connor's adopted son for bait. He and Connor fight, Connor wins, quel surprise!

Basically the first one was the best and it went downhill from there.
    sum ergo cogitum
    I am therefore I think.

Comment

Highlander II was crap , Everything in it was completely written out of the story ,the imortals in the TV series have no mention of planet Zeist,The Imortality is caused by a supernatural energy force that changes some individuals genes to make them imortal and regenerate 100x faster then a normal person, Killing another imortal and claiming his energy force makes you stronger.
      The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

"It all began five hundred yearsh ago on the planet Zeisht; three thousand yearsh after I wash born in Egypt, but whoshe counting, eh? Shomebody call my agent; I want more money for this crap!"
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          "It all began five hundred yearsh ago on the planet Zeisht; three thousand yearsh after I wash born in Egypt, but whoshe counting, eh? Shomebody call my agent; I want more money for this crap!"
          hahahahaha!!!!!!11

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
            Highlander II was crap , Everything in it was completely written out of the story ,the imortals in the TV series have no mention of planet Zeist,The Imortality is caused by a supernatural energy force that changes some individuals genes to make them imortal and regenerate 100x faster then a normal person, Killing another imortal and claiming his energy force makes you stronger.
            I saw "Highlander II", then put it out of my mind. It messed with the whole mythology. "III" was almost as bad. For me, It's the original movie, the series and "Endgame". The middle two don't exist.

Hey Mr. Prophet, Sir... Good Sean Connery!
            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
              I saw "Highlander II", then put it out of my mind. It messed with the whole mythology. "III" was almost as bad. For me, It's the original movie, the series and "Endgame". The middle two don't exist.

Hey Mr. Prophet, Sir... Good Sean Connery!
              Ta.

I'm not sure about Endgame. I mean, sure it's probably the second best Highlander film, but that's not much of a claim. What's up with the chick surviving, anyway? That's so clearly a recut. I'm also disappointed that they never do anything with the fact that - including his goons - the bad guy has killed 666 other immortals.

For a longer consideration of this topic, check out The Highlander Franchise and Phenomenon; an article I wrote for H2G2 on this very subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                For me, It's the original movie, the series and "Endgame".
                But the series totally negates what happened in the first movie.
                sigpic

Comment

The Highlander movies were really just retarded action slasher films, The First movie waisnt too bad it had a bit of humour and lots of action and plenty of sword fights and little bit of romance and Drama. Never scene highlander II or III, I saw Endgame which waisnt too bad besides the fact Connor dies by Duncans blade.

The TV series was the best , It always had interesting stories and dealt with the issues of being Imortal . Duncan MacLeod was a much more sleeker character with alot of Wit.

Highlander the raven was pure crap! Since there is no Highlander like the MacLeods whats the point of calling it Highlander?
                  The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Highlander (yes, there can be only one!) the movie was excellent. It wasn't a slasher film, ala Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elmstreet. It was a great action film, with cool sword fights, an incredible soundtrack thanks to Queen, and a neat storyline. Add Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert, and Clancy Brown and it's one of my fave movies.

2 and 3 totally sucked and don't exist for me. 4 was good only to see Adrian Paul, Paul Wingfield, and Jim Byrnes.

The series was very good, but lost me after Tess' death. I thought her & Duncan's love was so wonderful--it was refreshing to see a main male character with only one love interest. Then she died. And Richie lived?! Cuz he was an immortal?! I stopped watching it for a while, then came back when Joe and Methos joined the scene. (Roger Daltrey was cool too.) I always thought the Watchers were interesting, because I'm also a Buffy fan, with its Watcher's Council, and an Anne Rice fan, with the Talamasca. What's with groups of stuffy Englishmen keeping an eye on the preternatural?!

I don't see the series as negating the original Highlander movie. It was more like an alternate universe, where Connor had never battled The Kurgan. It had to be that way for the show to even exist, so I was OK with it. Kinda like Stargate SG-1 had to "discover" there were other planets to visit besides Abydos so the series could exist.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion
                      I don't see the series as negating the original Highlander movie. It was more like an alternate universe, where Connor had never battled The Kurgan. It had to be that way for the show to even exist, so I was OK with it. Kinda like Stargate SG-1 had to "discover" there were other planets to visit besides Abydos so the series could exist.
                      Looking at the series as an alternate universe is the only way I can resolve the issues.

I agree that the series was the best. It's what got me hooked. In fact I didn't even know there was a movie until after S1. The series did kind of bog down for awhile after Tessa's death, but picked up when they added Methos, Joe and Amanda. Still it lost me the last year, it just got a bit too silly.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sleep well knowing Richie dies!
                        The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion
                          The series was very good, but lost me after Tess' death. I thought her & Duncan's love was so wonderful--it was refreshing to see a main male character with only one love interest. Then she died. And Richie lived?! Cuz he was an immortal?! I stopped watching it for a while, then came back when Joe and Methos joined the scene. (Roger Daltrey was cool too.) I always thought the Watchers were interesting, because I'm also a Buffy fan, with its Watcher's Council, and an Anne Rice fan, with the Talamasca. What's with groups of stuffy Englishmen keeping an eye on the preternatural?!
                          Well who else do we trust to do it?

I actually thought that some of the post-'Richie is an immortal' stuff was well done, because McLeod really laid into him for being a grade-A pillock. Sad to say, I missed Richie's last bow.

Comment

Working...
                          X