No announcement yet.

Cold Lazarus (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok me a nerd or a wus. But I was just moved by a scifi show. As a parent this one really got to me. Wow the wrighting was good for this one. It really stood out to me for what i have seen so far. Wonder if there will be more like these. Yup i'm a wus. I'm still moved.

Comment

As Jack so often seems to play the clown, it was good to see something of his past and what deep pain he has really been living with. This episode helps to understand Jack's reactions to things in later episodes.
      sigpic
      Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

wonder if we will see his wife again?

Comment

Just rewatching this episode for the first time in over a year. It's kind of hard to watch. It about makes me cry. But at the same time, it kind of makes me feel like Jack got some of the closure he never got before. His relationship with Sarah also got some of the closure it never did. Its sad but in a way it seems like it helped. Maybe the crystaline life form actually was able to help O'Neill heal his wound. *sniffles*
          "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Just rewatching this episode for the first time in over a year. It's kind of hard to watch. It about makes me cry. But at the same time, it kind of makes me feel like Jack got some of the closure he never got before. His relationship with Sarah also got some of the closure it never did. Its sad but in a way it seems like it helped. Maybe the crystaline life form actually was able to help O'Neill heal his wound. *sniffles*

Very well put. THat sums it up well.

Comment

It thought it was cute to see Sam and Daniel so excited while they were playing with the crystal. They are such dorks.

7/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...d-lazarus.html
              My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
              http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found this episode very awkward, when Sara was asking Jack those questions at the park you could see her desire to get back with him. However that is not what happened the reel jack did not love Sara anymore. I wonder what happened to Sara after that, I also wonder why Jack was ever with her in the first place. Don't get me wrong she seemed like a very nice person, but she was not Jack's type at all.

Then when Jack allowed Sara to see their son, I was thinking this is going to screw her up for along time. I mean if my dead son started talking to me as if he was a different person. I would go crazy, especially if i was never given a straight answer about the whole thing.

I just wish they would have gone in a completely different direction and not involved Jack's family.
                sigpic

Comment

Not so much action here. Too much drama, IMO.

Most memorable scene for me would be when the alien transformed into Charlie. It was memorable because of Jack's reaction. Shock, longingness, wishing it was really his son, sadness that its really not, pain that he has was forced to face the truth.

Not an ep that I'd watch again.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                    Not so much action here. Too much drama, IMO.

Most memorable scene for me would be when the alien transformed into Charlie. It was memorable because of Jack's reaction. Shock, longingness, wishing it was really his son, sadness that its really not, pain that he has was forced to face the truth.

Not an ep that I'd watch again.
                    I totally agree that this wasn't an action episode it was much more of a scientific and even philosophical episode.

The whole concept of different lifeforms in the galaxy makes it seem larger. If all there was were humans being dominated by the Goa'uld, the Stargate universe would seem extremely small. The episode makes us realize that SG-1 doesn't just fight off bad guys, they attempt to help and understand the good ones.

I didn't like the Sara and Charlie branch of this episode. However the scientific... the philosophical... those were great.
                    sigpic

Comment

Finally got around to the funky crystal episode with the 2 jacks.

Recently there was a thread somewhere around here about all the "planets" having the same forest ~ or some such drabble about villages being the same, etc. Well, the location certainly went out of the forest on this one. I loved the colors in the opening scenes, all those yellows and blues. They icon nice

Hmmm. I think Teal'c and the staff weapon stole the episode. Here's why:

Teal'c cracked me up. They're leaving base to go find the other Jack and Hammond tells him he can't take his staff weapon. "I have seen your world. I will need this" (paraphrasing)
                      Daniel and Sam are conducting tests on the crystal using the staff weapon. Teal'c "You did get permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the gateroom" - Daniel and Sam just dart away with a noncommital "uh, sure"

Comment

The Not!Forest planet is bright and shiny... so I made some more icons because that's what the world needs. More icons.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
                          Hmmm. I think Teal'c and the staff weapon stole the episode. Here's why:

Teal'c cracked me up. They're leaving base to go find the other Jack and Hammond tells him he can't take his staff weapon. "I have seen your world. I will need this" (paraphrasing)

Daniel and Sam are conducting tests on the crystal using the staff weapon. Teal'c "You did get permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the gateroom" - Daniel and Sam just dart away with a noncommital "uh, sure"
                          Also my two funny moments of what was a very serious episode.

First time we really saw the pain that Jack feels/has bottled up inside him. It was evident in the movie but not so much throughout the series until now.

Some pretty top acting by Jack conveying his hurt and the alien Jack's confusion over everything.

I noticed Sara still had her wedding ring on I think, probably showing that she still had hope that after Jack had dealt with the pain he was feeling their relationship could of continued.

I think the embrace just before they left the hospital was signifying that their relationship was over "we were good together weren't we?" Jack replies "the greatest"....

Like Pic-CollSwan I loved all the colour variations in the opening sequence on the planet. Another cool Gate shot at the end to.

Although not what I would call one of my favourite episodes I feel it was a necessary one to provide that background detail into Jack.

Awesome! Nice avatars Pic-CollSwan.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

this was a cool episode i thought what happened with jacks son was sad and its good to know that there is a reason for why he is emotionless when it comes to people and i think this episode helps him to start healing and allow him to start to fall for sam
                            sigpic

Comment

A great performance from RDA in this one as the copy of O'Neill struggles to come to terms with Jack's past. We saw a gentler side of O'Neill that is seldom allowed to show. The sight of the copy hugging Charlie's things made me cry, as did the closing scene of Jack and Sarah with 'Charlie'. I think the way Jack and Sarah hug shows that there's still some feeling there, but they both know it's over for them.

Daniel's reaction to the crystal when it changed to his face was quite funny. The way the real Jack reacted to the troops in the gateroom when he returned was good, too.

It's good to see a lifeform that isn't more-or-less humanoid, or bipedal at the very least. The idea that there's more to life than carbon-based lifeforms isn't new, but it's not one that's used much. It's also nice to see a recognition that Earth's environment can actually be harmful to alien life. So often Earth is invaded by aliens that have no problems with our atmosphere, E-M field, gravity...

Over all, a very good episode.
                              Last edited by Cheerful Dragon; 09 September 2008, 02:01 AM.
                              C-D
                              Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

I LOVE this episode and frankly don't understand why the first season gets such a bad rap. I'd like to address each issue, but first things first, about the episode:

It's a dramatic story with a science fiction backdrop. Remember Jeff Bridges in "Starman?" Same premise. IMO it's a feather in RDA's cap that he pulled off the dual role so convincingly. So what if this is an episode that didn't carry the flavor of the many episodes yet to come? IMO if it had been more centered around canon (i.e. the Goa'uld attack on the Unity) than on the individual character development of Jack O'Neill and the back story of Charlie's death and Jack's separation from Sarah it would have been a more "forgettable" episode. As it stands, I found it to be a rather endearing bit of writing that makes O'Neill seem more "human" behind all that bravado and quick wit.

What really hits me about this episode is the emotional response it drew within me. As a full-time dad to two small boys who are as much a part of me as, well, any physical part of my body I found myself gripped by the drama. I spend almost every minute of every day with my sons and on the rare occasion we're apart for more than a couple of hours I miss them terribly. If something were to happen to either one of them, I don't know if I could survive. Call it "projection" (a psychological term) or simply wearing my heart on my sleeve (a literary cliché) I could feel Jack's pain as the Unity stepped into his life and uncovered the sense of loss from Charlie's death.

That RDA was able to draw upon some type of empathy during the projection of this episode to further flesh out the character that Kurt Russell created shows that this is indeed a bit of canon - even if it's only for one character - and hints at O'Neill's incredible strength of will to overcome adversity.

Stepping back to a more critical POV, the only improvement I could see upon this episode would to have been have the characters react on a more emotional level as they became involved in what was formerly a "private" part of Jack's life. I mean, Daniel became Jack's best friend in the movie because he helped Jack deal with the loss in the first place. Daniel could have at least opened up to Sam a little more when the subject came up in this episode. And whatever happened to Sarah? Did she get remarried? Did she receive disclosure about the Stargate program? Did she and Jack ever air out their feelings like she started to do with the Unity imposter?

BTW, the actress who played Sarah bears a remarkable similarity to the actress who originally played Elizabeth Weir 6 years later? I know they're two different actresses but it's kinda eerie.

Now, getting on to season one's bad rap I'd have to say that this season had the benefit of breaking new ground. Sure, the special effects have come a long way, but so have the clichés.

I mean, did every Goa'uld (or even the Asgard for that matter) affect the role of some god or another from any one of several of Earth's many cultures? Strange that they didn't touch upon the Big 3 (Judaism, Christianity or Islam) but I'm kind of glad they didn't. At least they didn't go the Men in Black route and show a Goa'uld dressed as Elvis (quote: "Elvis ain't dead, son - he just went home") If that were the case, then SG-1 would have "jumped the shark" a lot sooner than it did - which by my estimation was around the same time SciFi (and commercial television) picked it up.

As a former Trekkie, I say throw canon out the window. Relying on it as a literary tool is akin to painting oneself into a corner; there are only so many new ideas to dream up if one limits the scope of one's imagination. SG-1 did it many times during the first 8 years. For the second incarnation they fell back on the same plot devices but switched around the details a little bit.

PS: as a former Trekkie, I must point out that there were a LOT of good episodes in TOS. Too many folks remember Shatner's overacting but I'd hazard a guess to point out that he was getting a little too comfortable in the role and was just phoning it in by the time season 3 came around. Arguably the same could be said about RDA in many episodes of SG-1 during seasons 6-8.

Comment

Working...
                                X