how would you sell b5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how would you sell b5

If you where selling someone on b5 what would you say? Also how many seasons did it run? I thought I saw movies. Does it start with a movie then the show? What would you watch first? ANy thoughts would be great!!

Originally posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post
    If you where selling someone on b5 what would you say? Also how many seasons did it run? I thought I saw movies. Does it start with a movie then the show? What would you watch first? ANy thoughts would be great!!
    The bidding starts at 10$

My lame attempt at a joke that falls through the floor... *hides*

Comment

firstly you would say it was the show that defined television for a generation. It was the first show to have a truely defined beginning middle and end and pathed the way for many of the spanning story arcs we see in todays television. It was also the pioneer in television CGI.
      But really you would start the key selling point on the story, there has not been anything that can even come close to re-creating what Babylon 5 achieved in it's 5 years of main show. The character development was the most intense with every single character under going major trauma, not one was ever the same afterwards.
      And that is down to one man JMS who wrote all of the shows from the tail end of season 2 right through to the last episode of season 4 so it was very constent.
      Altogether there are 5 seasons of Babylon 5 plus Crusade the spin off series that you either love or hate ( a bit like marmite) then the made for tv movies.
      As for running order, well thats up to you, but suggested is
      The Gathering
      Season One
      Season Two
      Season Three
      Season Four Till Into the Fire
      Thirdspace
      Season Four To End
      In The Beginning
      Season Five Till Objects At Rest
      River Of Souls
      Legend Of The Rangers
      A Call To Arms
      Crusade Season One
      The Lost Tales
      Babylon 5 Season 5 - Sleeping In Light

Comment

I'd also add its best sf tv series to date

As for watching order, valen_sinclair list seems fine, though i wouldn't bother with some movies (really painfully bad)

Comment

Wow Valen!! YOU RULE! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!

Comment

Anyone know a good b5 site or fan site?

Comment

Anyone know a good b5 site or fan site?
              I would say this site is one of the best - http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html. It's been up almost as long as the show itself. The website is full of spoilers, so be careful.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Wow Valen!! YOU RULE! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!
                you are taking about my favourite show of all time....btw I didn't think and I apoligise but my name is a spoiler..how do I wrap that in spoiler tags lol

Comment

Hey anything else you wanna say about the show let meknow. I am in season 2 of farscape and need some great show to get lost in when it's over. Somthing you can get lost in. Where you care about the people. DId this have books for each season the way farscape and stargate do?

Comment

I've had trouble doing just this for a long time. it's starting to look dated, and that makes it hard for newcomers to take it seriously. I've pretty much given up pimping it to all but hardcore scifi fans, who are willing to take the sfx and makeup for what they are. it's a wonderful investment, but very hard to close the sale.

Comment

Indeed. Most ppl are repelled by somewhat outdated graphics (IIRC esp at the time CGI wasn't really used that much, models were the norm).

As ppl mentioned. Best selling point is the story. Wonderful, 4(5) season long plot that really leaves u speechless .

Most of ppl I know that 'survive' initial 'shock' admitted its among the best (sf) shows.

Comment

yeah the graphics look slightly dated now but the show is getting on. still doesn't stop people loving shows like blakes 7 or the original doctor who though does it.
                        Maybe one day warner bros will realize that it has made quite possibly the best sci-fi show ever and give us a re-dux version, update the special effects and tidy the master's up for a special edition dvd release...but until that day we still have what is widely regarded as a masterpiece.

Comment

The subpar CGI doesnt bother me one bit with this show, it's still excellent for the most part.
                          Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                          Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by valen_sinclair View Post
                            yeah the graphics look slightly dated now but the show is getting on. still doesn't stop people loving shows like blakes 7 or the original doctor who though does it.
                            Maybe one day warner bros will realize that it has made quite possibly the best sci-fi show ever and give us a re-dux version, update the special effects and tidy the master's up for a special edition dvd release...but until that day we still have what is widely regarded as a masterpiece.
                            And you'd have as hard a time selling Blakes 7!

I for one hope they never touch the show. I don't want a thing changed.

Except maybe Byron. They could get re-cut a version without him and I'd be A-OK with that.

Comment

Originally posted by MathiasE View Post
                              The subpar CGI doesnt bother me one bit with this show, it's still excellent for the most part.
                              It was subpar in the beginning of the show and we've been 'spoiled' by better CGI over years, so that's a thing that some people will have to get past. I know I did.

BUT, I thought the CGI shaped up very nicely in the later seasons (2-3-4). Shadow Dancing, Shattered Dreams and the last half of S4 come to mind.
                              sigpic
                              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Working...
                              X