This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the Prometheus named Prometheus?

Jack wanted to name it the Enterprise in the one episode, but they didn't allow that... is that because it's StarTrek ship? Well there was a Prometheus in StarTrek too.

Yes, but the prometheus Was in all of two Star Trek Voyager episodes. Its noy the sames as the Enterprise which is a Star Trek icon.

Bacially everyone associates the Enterprise with Star Trek, only hard core hans no of the USS Prometheus.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Because there is already a USS Enterprise (CVN-65), a nuclear aircraft carrier with a long and honorable service for the last 45 years.

USS Enterprise Official Website

Comment

Why is the Prometheus named Prometheus?

Jack didn't like the name Flying Dandylion!!

I don't know, however there are a fair few refrences to star trek in SG and SGA that can be picked up on.
        Cliffhanger 2

Same Story......Different Cliff!!!!!!!

Comment

ok, this might be going a little deep here, but prometheus was one of the ancient greek titans, said to have brought fire to man, something man had never had before. i think they named it this becuase the ship, Prometheus, brought something to man they had never had before: Hyperspace travel. there's my deep thought for the day.
          ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Prometheus is named thus after the Greek myth explaining how humans got fire. Prometheus brought it down from Mount Olympus, and in giving it to humans, he gave mankind a jump ahead into technology.

Prometheus is based on alien technology and completed with the help of the Asgard, their fire from Mount Olympus. Jack objected because it was a Greek tragedy — as punishment, Prometheus was chained to a mountaintop, and every day his liver was eaten by an eagle and renewed the next morning, until Hercules killed the eagle and freed Prometheus.
            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
            Last update: 14 April 2006
            Melyanna's Multimedia
            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
              Prometheus is named thus after the Greek myth explaining how humans got fire. Prometheus brought it down from Mount Olympus, and in giving it to humans, he gave mankind a jump ahead into technology.

Prometheus is based on alien technology and completed with the help of the Asgard, their fire from Mount Olympus. Jack objected because it was a Greek tragedy — as punishment, Prometheus was chained to a mountaintop, and every day his liver was eaten by an eagle and renewed the next morning, until Hercules killed the eagle and freed Prometheus.
              but what does the torture with the eagle represent in the stargate world? and didn't i kind of just say ^that?

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                but what does the torture with the eagle represent in the stargate world? and didn't i kind of just say ^that?
                First of all, I started to reply before you did. I got sidetracked mid-post, hence the delay.

Second, I think the question of what the torture with the eagle represents is why Jack wanted to avoid naming the ship Prometheus. Of course, the torture would be for the source of the technology, not for the SGC. And it's just occurred to me that perhaps we've seen the Asgards' punishment already — human-form Replicators.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Surely the 'fire from heaven', if anything, is the naquadria, and Jonas got pretty liver-ripped - metaphorically speaking - for stealing it.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The writers probably thought it sounded cool.
                    sigpic
                    I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                    'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                    'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                      ok, this might be going a little deep here, but prometheus was one of the ancient greek titans, said to have brought fire to man, something man had never had before. i think they named it this becuase the ship, Prometheus, brought something to man they had never had before: Hyperspace travel. there's my deep thought for the day.
                      Just Hyperspace.....how about a big friggin ship...I don't think we've ever had one of our own???

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        Because there is already a USS Enterprise (CVN-65), a nuclear aircraft carrier with a long and honorable service for the last 45 years.

USS Enterprise Official Website
                        I hadn't even thought of that reason, but it makes perfect sense. Even if the Prometheus is Air Force, not Navy, you just can't have two ships with the same name.

a time to mourn

Comment

Whereas the other Titans cared little for Man and was content to let them suffer in the cold and dark, Prometheus defied the mandates of his kind and sought to help Man. That is why he was punished. But furthermore, that is why he is remembered by Man.

Comment

I had always assumed it was because Prometheus (in mythology) was the bringer of fire, and the ship Prometheus is packing a lot of heat. Up until SG-1 found the Ancient outpost in the Antarctic, the most advanced weapons known on Earth were on the Prometheus.
                            It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by AzMcNeil
                              Just Hyperspace.....how about a big friggin ship...I don't think we've ever had one of our own???
                              ok, well that too, but we can build other ships, but its only the hyperspace tech thats gonna get us anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X