No announcement yet.

Star Trek Beyond : News/Speculation/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus maybe it was easier to get raw materials to build the ships OUT there...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Same here. Heck, how's about put an alien finally on the crew..
      I'd love to see Jayla...as long as they dont' take the 7 of 9 route with her. Another female would be nice. Uhura was the token female - and was black to boot so a biggie in 1960's TV, but how about having it be a bit more like TNG, DS9 etc....have a larger proportion of ladies to gents.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It would be nice to see more gals on the crew.. Or like from Voyager, having a gal captain!

Comment

movie was dope.

I hope they keep finding ways to work Sabotage in.

Comment

Good job on this movie.
            For the first time in "new trek", I walked out of the theater feeling like I had watched a Star Trek movie. Three tries before they got it right.

The interplay between Kirk,Spock,McCoy, Uhuru, Checkov & Sulu felt right.
            A lot of good effects and space flight scenes.. can't wait till the BD is released so I can see it on my home screen (which blows the local cineplex into the weeds - it's crap)
            One nitpick.. Kirk orders the Enterprise to go to warp AFTER the deflector dish is knocked out. As far as I understand, that deflector is required for relativistic travel to knock even small space debris out of the way.
            Loved the old motorcycle, complete with a 4-stroke engine, instead of the 2-stroke weedeater sound.
            I wonder if Krall turning out to be the former captain of the Franklin was just a cover for them happening to find a relatively functional starship after Enterprise was destroyed, which was a bit of a stretch.

One regret, though. This is the first of the Trek films going all the way back to 1979 that I haven't seen on opening night.

Comment

That was a lot better than the last Star Trek films. The last thirty minutes was rough through, an I'm not a fan of these game computer game style big boss endings.

Let hope the effective sacking of the team behind it doesn't leads us to the return of the crap JJ Abram will releasing.
              Last edited by knowles2; 01 October 2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I enjoyed it enough to go see it twice. It was sort of sad watching Chekov knowing that Anton had passed. I also love how they handled Sulu and his partner. Not an in your face type of thing. Star Trek has always been about embracing differences.

I'm looking forward to the next movie!
                sigpic

Comment

Finally caught it. I agree, how they handled Sulu's gaynes, was well done.. Just a simple 'he walks off with his male partner'..

I also found the 'honoring' they did for the passing of "spock/Nimoy" very well done..

I also loved the 'surfing' of the swarm wave while playing that beastie boys song!

Comment

Finally got to see it recently, dare I say a bit more of the style of Trek I like, humour should always have a place in a Trek movie, even if it was just a recycled Insurrection story.

Comment

about the only problem I have with Sulu's partner and the Spock/Uhura thing is that neither was established as canon in the prime universe and in fact as far as Uhura goes she seemed to have more of a thing for Scotty in the prime universe if their interactions in ST:V - The Final Frontier were any indication.....now that would've been a relationship to see....if they'd gone with an Uhura/Scotty angle in the reboot I wonder how Uhura would handle being introduced to haggis?

Comment

I recently saw an original episode (don't know title off hand) where Uhura was singing and Mr. Spock playing the harp. She was clearly teasing him with the song and he actually smiled at her teasing, so there was a little something there. I never shipped them, but I had no problem with them in the new movies, I liked the diversity.

I liked the scene with Sulu and his family as well, I think it was an nod to George Takei. The nod to Nimoy was moving as well.

My favorite was the relationship with Bones & Spock, I loved when they were stranded on the planet together and their prickly friendship and bantering.

The funny moments and dialogue fit in perfect with the action and intrigue. The special effects were great, those "bee" ships looked awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                          I recently saw an original episode (don't know title off hand) where Uhura was singing and Mr. Spock playing the harp. She was clearly teasing him with the song and he actually smiled at her teasing, so there was a little something there. I never shipped them, but I had no problem with them in the new movies, I liked the diversity.

I liked the scene with Sulu and his family as well, I think it was an nod to George Takei. The nod to Nimoy was moving as well.

My favorite was the relationship with Bones & Spock, I loved when they were stranded on the planet together and their prickly friendship and bantering.

The funny moments and dialogue fit in perfect with the action and intrigue. The special effects were great, those "bee" ships looked awesome.
                          I suppose....but still...if anything had come from those romantic hints between Scotty and Uhura in the prime universe....I could just imagine him cooking her a haggis dinner on one of their dates and her giving him a look that clearly says "you don't seriously expect me to eat this do you?"

Comment

Another thing I'm curious about is that since the 23rd century ships in the Kelvin timeline have technology at least as advanced as those seen on Galaxy-class ships in the 24th century of the prime timeline, I wonder how advanced the ships will be in the 24th century/early 25th century of the Kelvin timeline...perhaps the 24th century of the Kelvin timeline will see widespread use of either quantum slipstream or transwarp or coaxial warp drive (the technology seen in Voyager that utilized subspace folds) as a means of relatively quick inter- and intra-galactic propulsion. This is of course if they don't cause a pre-destination paradox by using their advance knowledge of the Hobus supernova to stop it from happening and negating the Narada traveling back in time.

Comment

Working...
                            X