Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Star Trek: XIII Speculation / Rumors / Ideas / Spoilers / News Thread *SPOILE

If there is a MU story I'd like to see Kirk's killer mirror used.

Default Re: The Star Trek: XIII Speculation / Rumors / Ideas / Spoilers / News Thread *SPOILE

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    That would be likely.
    and funny

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    If there is a MU story I'd like to see Kirk's killer mirror used.
    And with modern special effects!

If they do go to the evil MU would that mean that mirror Nero would have to have gone back in time and messed things up over there too? Or, would it be set some time after "Mirror Mirror," but before "Crossover?" If the later than maybe we could see the beginnings of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance.
    The new movies takes place in an altogether different universe. So, technically, there are now three main universes.

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    If they do go to the evil MU would that mean that mirror Nero would have to have gone back in time and messed things up over there too? Or, would it be set some time after "Mirror Mirror," but before "Crossover?" If the later than maybe we could see the beginnings of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance.
    I don't know who Nero is, but the latest movie altered the timeline, creating a new parellel/mirror universe. Nero may not have had any effect on 'our' timeline, as it were.

Edited to add: Oh, wait, Nero was the guy who blew up Vulcan *headdesk*

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    it's a new timeline a new canon and a new universe. that has been established in the comic book. so IMO the new canon is a clean slate everything is new again,
    ^ What Pharoah Atem said. It's essentially a big F You to all the people who've watched all the different incarnations since the sixties /snark. Can you tell I wasn't impressed by that aspect of it? Although I didn't mind the film in general, and look forward to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by Aewon View Post
    The new movies takes place in an altogether different universe. So, technically, there are now three main universes.
    I don't know if 'main' is applicable in a situation where there are, theoretically, an infinite number of universes. But certainly 'main' in terms of what we actually see

Presumably in this movie, they have to deal with the Vulcans and their efforts to repopulate the species. Does this mean that they have to interbreed (putting an end to Spock/Uhura), or mix with other species (meaning a Spock/Uhura baby)?

Potential plots are wide open now that they aren't bound by canon. They could have Earth come under direct attack from a new enemy, or open with a war between the Klingons and what became the Federation. Perhaps killing all the Vulcans has an effect on relations between other planets, who knows?
    Last edited by gateraid; October 22nd, 2010 at 12:30 PM.

Soooo, presumably, to get to the top of the page after nearly 2.5 months, this thread must've been edited. I'm not sure what for. No, seriously, I have no idea.

Anyway, what's the latest on the next movie? I hope it will be a 'fresh' story (as in, a new alien/arc that we've never encountered), else there really was no point to the reset at all. It may even feature Ambassador Spock's death (yes, again).

Nimoy has retired from acting, so he won't be in the next Trek movie. So thankfully, they won't be killing him off.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    Nimoy has retired from acting, so he won't be in the next Trek movie. So thankfully, they won't be killing him off.
    Weeeeellllll, he's quit Trek before too But I take your point, we wont be seeing him in the next movie.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by gateraid View Post
    Weeeeellllll, he's quit Trek before too But I take your point, we wont be seeing him in the next movie.
    Which is fine. This movie can do just fine with the characters they established in the last movie.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    Which is fine. This movie can do just fine with the characters they established in the last movie.
    Yes, for now at least. It would be cool to eventually seem some more characters from the "Main" Universe(what is the original Trek universe called anyways?).

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    Yes, for now at least. It would be cool to eventually seem some more characters from the "Main" Universe(what is the original Trek universe called anyways?).
    The original universe doesn't have a name. Before we just had real/main/prime and then the mirror universe. I just call it Trekverse, call the movies Abramsverse. I know Trekverse is technically incorrect as it's supposed to refer to all Trek but there are no real better alternatives at the minute.

I am not sure I'd like to see Trekverse characters crossing over. Spock was okay because it helps bridge both sides of the timeline challenges but I would rather the Abramsverse be a separate and secondary continuity rather than co-existing and having everyone crossing over like a Mirrorverse episode.

The original universe doesn't have a name. Before we just had real/main/prime and then the mirror universe. I just call it Trekverse, call the movies Abramsverse. I know Trekverse is technically incorrect as it's supposed to refer to all Trek but there are no real better alternatives at the minute.

I am not sure I'd like to see Trekverse characters crossing over. Spock was okay because it helps bridge both sides of the timeline challenges but I would rather the Abramsverse be a separate and secondary continuity rather than co-existing and having everyone crossing over like a Mirrorverse episode.
    Yeah but I get the felling another time travel/mirror universe storyline will rear its head eventually. But I suppose it depends on how many films there will be.

Interesting...I'm excited to see what happens!

I call the one with 40 years of history, 5 live action shows, and 10 movies the canon universe.

Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Interesting...I'm excited to see what happens!
    Same here. I have high hopes for this next film.

"...phu...ah..."

Default Re: The Star Trek: XIII Speculation / Rumors / Ideas / News Thread SPOILERS

You know, I liked ST:2009 for what it was, so let's put that on the table. However, I do hope we never see time travel again in ST. I realize WHY Abrams did it, but time travel has been the premise of too many Trek films. In addition, this is the only Trek movie in which they create an alternate timeline. Why didn't that happen when Kirk slingshotted around the sun, or when Picard and Co. flew through the Chrono particle Borg vortex?
    There are plenty of great ideas that don't require time travel, and from what I've seen on sites like this, the script of ST2 seems very character-centric, which is what Abrams does best. Technical issues, not as much.

Default Re: The Star Trek: XIII Speculation / Rumors / Ideas / News Thread SPOILERS

not sure where to post this, or if i should just start a new thread. but Patrick Stewart carried the Olympic torch:

http://www.startrek.com/article/patr...-olympic-torch

there's a video of him doing it

If it's Star Trek, I'll check it out(the only place that rule doesn't work is DS9).

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

I can't wait for info about this movie to really start coming out.

"...phu...ah..."

Chief Master Sergeant cyrusDCmonster's Avatar

i liked Abrams Star Trek. It was a different vision that i felt worked. it did have its problems [the destruction of vulcan for instance] but i enjoyed it. i'm looking forward to the sequel and i'm hoping for an original villain and not a reboot of khan or gary mitchell as is rumoured.

for me star trek never 100%clicked as a movie franchise, the style of story was always suited as a tv series and in my opinion should be where the focus is.

Let me guess, Spock gets lost in the end of movie 2 and is brought back in movie 3, lol. That's the connection and the cliffhanger.