How did the Wraith Originate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sitting here thinking from season one when Dr. Beckett says that the Wraith developed after the Ancients entered Pegasus galaxy. Basically the consensus was that the Ancients landed on a planet with the bug creature then the Wraith developed from the bug/Ancient evolving together.

But does anyone think its possible that the Ancients deliberately created the Wraith as a weapon to use against a race that they were at war with. Then when the Wraith rebelled, that is why the Ancients then created the Replicators.

I just cant believe that the Wraith were created by some sort of biological accident.

If that were to be true wouldn't we have been told that? For the entire time of SGA that would be quite the detail to not mention
    WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
    Germany Chiefed Poland.
    England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
    England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
    France got Chiefed.
    Japan decided to scout America.
    America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
    America cut Japan to 90 pop.
    Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
    USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
    Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
    Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
    USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
    Hitler deleted his account...
    USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

That and the Wraith would have very different attitudes about everyone.
      My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

it was an idea from the writing staff

Comment

dont forget they had a few million years to evolve from insects and ancients. if the ancients were at war with someone else and created the wraith, then who were they at war with, they were so badly decimated by the plague that a war would have seriously screwed them over.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator99 View Post
            But does anyone think its possible that the Ancients deliberately created the Wraith as a weapon to use against a race that they were at war with. Then when the Wraith rebelled, that is why the Ancients then created the Replicators.
            The ancients never learn from their mistakes
            Looks like history repeats itself...
            The harvest moon is rising
            Wraith are never-ending

Comment

lol

www.darkarmada.nl
              www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Its a good idea and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, given that the writers of atlantis always seem to portray the Ancients in a bad light, but wouldn't it have been mentioned at some point?

Comment

I think it's just the evolution thing of which the writers are so fond. Remember how Sheppard "goes wraith" ? I think that shows that it happened. Oh, and Michael's freaky experiments !!!

Comment

On that one ep when the ancients return to atlantis, woolsey points out to them that the ancients are responsible for the emergence of the wraith as a species

by commander of the uss capricorn

Comment

I was under the impression that the ancients used something similar to the Dakara device (maybe it was destroyed during the war or perhaps they used the dakara device to do it, with ZPMs and their understanding of the gate it could well be possible.) after they got to pegasus to seed human life throughout the galaxy, they didn't know about the iratus bug which evolved along with humans to produce the wraith... the dakara device may have sped up the evolution process for all parties so the wraith would have evolved quicker...
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                        I was under the impression that the ancients used something similar to the Dakara device (maybe it was destroyed during the war or perhaps they used the dakara device to do it, with ZPMs and their understanding of the gate it could well be possible.) after they got to pegasus to seed human life throughout the galaxy, they didn't know about the iratus bug which evolved along with humans to produce the wraith... the dakara device may have sped up the evolution process for all parties so the wraith would have evolved quicker...
                        ...Very interesting...

by commander of the uss capricorn

Comment

The show has pretty much established that the Wraith are evolved bugs, not an experiment or direct creation of the Ancients. I posted this in another thread a while back - it fits here:

From everything that we can glean from the show, I believe it went something like this (part based on the shows, part based on logical speculation):

1. Before the Ancients arrived, the Iratus bug existed and fed on whatever species were native to the planet/galaxy at the time. It has never been suggested that the Iratus bug's diet is limited to any one species, so we can safely assume that it fed on any sort of animal - bird, reptile, mammal - that fell into its grip.

2. After the Ancients arrrived, they seeded planets with human life. This would include seeding the planet or planets on which the Iratus bug lived. When seeding such planets, it is assumed that the Ancients left humans with a certain amount of technology to help develop their young societies.

3. Over time, these human settlements were left to develop on their own, without any supervision from the Ancients. Basically, the Ancients were what we could call absentee parents who did not stand by to make sure their children grew up okay.

4. On the planet or planets on which the Iratus lived, humans began falling prey to the insect. This would logically include those humans who had originally been sent to settle the planet, but also any humans who eventually travelled to the planet through the gates, or through space travel. At this early stage, Iratus bugs fed on both animal and human.

5. Gradually, it is likely that the Iratus began to favor a human diet, perhaps due to the quality of the meal, or because other life forms had become scarce.

6. As Iratus feed upon more and more humans, they began to absorb human DNA, taking on humanoid characteristics. We can assume that at one point they evolved to look something like Michael's 'bugs', before turning into full Wraith. This has been suggested by the show, and never has it been said that the Wraith were an Ancient experiment gone wrong.

7. At some point, a branch of the Iratus evolved into Wraith, developed far enough to appear human-like, while still possessing most of the biology and mentality of their insect ancestors. By now they had learned language, developing their own based on that of their human hosts, and had begun to adapt any human technology they found to meet their own needs.

8. It is at this fragile point in their evolution that we can probably assume Wraith began having a dependency on human life energy - both to sustain their life, and to maintain their humanoid qualities. It is probably during this transitional period of time - as they went from feeding on any species to humans alone - that they also relied on the 'Iratus Cure' to heal themselves as a last resort to prevent dying. This suggests that the Iratus method of feeding - combined with a diet solely made up of humans - is what sustains Wraith life and strength. (Side thought: Also around this point in their evolution, Wraith probably began developing the ability to eat normal food. However, this was a human ability that has not developed well enough to sustain them beyond puberty. This would suggest that Wraith are still evolving, and if they continue to feed upon humans, they will eventually absorb enough DNA to develop a digestive system that will allow them to survive on a normal, human-like diet.)

9. Sometime shortly after this stage of their development - after they had evolved to a point where they had the intelligence and appearance of humans and had probably long been travelling through their sector of the galaxy, feeding upon human populations - the Ancients revisited their old settlements. Here they expected to find an advanced human society, but found the Wraith dwelling - and thriving - there instead. It probably didn't register at that point what happened - that the Wraith had evolved from the humans that had settled the planet. When they did realize it, instead of taking responsibility for the 'creation of the Wraith' by neglecting their human colonies, they attempted to destroy them, without success.

That's my theory, based on what we know from the show, and some speculation on my part based on that information.

das
                          sigpic

Comment

interesting theory

do you think the wraith started kulling before, during or after the war with the Ancients.

also what about their technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator99 View Post
                              I was sitting here thinking from season one when Dr. Beckett says that the Wraith developed after the Ancients entered Pegasus galaxy. Basically the consensus was that the Ancients landed on a planet with the bug creature then the Wraith developed from the bug/Ancient evolving together.

I just cant believe that the Wraith were created by some sort of biological accident.
                              that's stupid, dog............

a ship went and planted life, then the destiny followed. Then Atlantis went...

end of story.

Comment

Working...
                              X