Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why after 15 seasons of SG we are still confused?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why after 15 seasons of SG we are still confused?

Why after 10 years of SG1 and 5 years of Atlantis we are still (well I am) confused and the non wiser about the Ancients and Wraith.

ANCIENTS

I find the time lines confusing, and sometimes don't make sense. There appears to be at least 2 stages of human evolution, a plague, going backwards and forwards between pegasus and MW. I mean we can make some assumptions and draw on some facts, but overall it seems to me that it is a history that is all over the place. Also the relationship between MW replicators, Asurans and Ancients. Don't forget the war with the Wraith.

Wraith

After 5 years, we still don't know much about Wraith culture, Wraith society.
    How they have come to evolve in my eyes so quickly.

I find the whole thing very unsatisfying, any other thoughts?

I agree. Just when I think I have the Ancients time line sorted, something is mentioned and then bang I am confused again.

I doubt the dudes who write the show even really know the timeline.
    sigpic

Comment

You have to remember that there are over FIFTY million years of Ancient history, and that is even with them getting into our galaxy, and making the stargate network. That is an awful lot of history for just 15 years of television, and it is almost impossible to cover it all. Add on to that the Wraith war has been indicated to be a couple hundred years of conflict between the two sides, an awful lot of history to cover there too...it just cannot be done.
      Add on to that history, as well as science, is often contradictory. Especially in a history so vast. You learn more pieces of information, to fit into the puzzle, and you get more information, sometimes a theory that you had previously gets thrown out, and a new one takes its place based on the current information that you just obtained. Stargate has only touched the surface on Ancient history.

Comment

easy, the wraith were ancients who tried to find immortality without ascending. They mutated into the leaders of the wraith that exist now. (remember todd is over 10,000 years old!) the ancients just don't want anyone to know what they did!

Comment

Because we're dumb.

Comment

We know that the ancient left their galaxy fleeing the ori several million years ago and came to the milky way. Its later revealed that Dakara is the first place the settled and then constructed the gate network( I think this when the supposed sent the Destiny in to action). After thriving in the milky way for problem a million years or so a plague began to devastate the ancient population. After not being able to find a cure the uninfected ancient left the milky way for the pegasus galaxy.
            Now after being in the pegasus galaxy for a while the ancients started a settlement on planet with the aratis bug. This is how the wraith first developed. I don't think any one has said how long it took the wraith to evolve into what they are today but it probly took at least a few thousand years. Most likely the person that the aratis bug fed on was an ancient there for incorporting the ancients superior dna into the wraith which would have made them super smart and advanced and gave them the aratis bugs feeding and healing abilities. After the war started, it most likely went on for a couple of thousand years.The atlanteans saw no way to win the war out right so they fled back to earth about 10000 years ago. The rest is pretty self expanitory. Let me know what yall think.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_GATE_HEAD View Post
              We know that the ancient left their galaxy fleeing the ori several million years ago and came to the milky way. Its later revealed that Dakara is the first place the settled and then constructed the gate network( I think this when the supposed sent the Destiny in to action). After thriving in the milky way for problem a million years or so a plague began to devastate the ancient population. After not being able to find a cure the uninfected ancient left the milky way for the pegasus galaxy.
              Now after being in the pegasus galaxy for a while the ancients started a settlement on planet with the aratis bug. This is how the wraith first developed. I don't think any one has said how long it took the wraith to evolve into what they are today but it probly took at least a few thousand years. Most likely the person that the aratis bug fed on was an ancient there for incorporting the ancients superior dna into the wraith which would have made them super smart and advanced and gave them the aratis bugs feeding and healing abilities. After the war started, it most likely went on for a couple of thousand years.The atlanteans saw no way to win the war out right so they fled back to earth about 10000 years ago. The rest is pretty self expanitory. Let me know what yall think.
              OK that all fits, but still quite simplistic. For instance "at least a few thousand years to evolove", but evolution takes much longer then a few thousand years, at least to our way of thing and knowledge.

The war with the Wraith from my knowledge went on for no more then 200 years not thousands. See there is still a bit of confusion

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Because we're dumb.
                Who's we

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                  OK that all fits, but still quite simplistic. For instance "at least a few thousand years to evolove", but evolution takes much longer then a few thousand years, at least to our way of thing and knowledge.

The war with the Wraith from my knowledge went on for no more then 200 years not thousands. See there is still a bit of confusion
                  They hyper evolved cause they fed on Ancient DNA, would be my guess, which was a lot farther along on the evelutionary plane. I do not know how that would work, but I do not think us humans have seen something like this yet....plus the ancients coulda meddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                    You have to remember that there are over FIFTY million years of Ancient history, and that is even with them getting into our galaxy, and making the stargate network. That is an awful lot of history for just 15 years of television, and it is almost impossible to cover it all. Add on to that the Wraith war has been indicated to be a couple hundred years of conflict between the two sides, an awful lot of history to cover there too...it just cannot be done.
                    Add on to that history, as well as science, is often contradictory. Especially in a history so vast. You learn more pieces of information, to fit into the puzzle, and you get more information, sometimes a theory that you had previously gets thrown out, and a new one takes its place based on the current information that you just obtained. Stargate has only touched the surface on Ancient history.
                    Fifty million years of history agreed, but there should still be some consistancey in it.

Comment

Why after 10 years of SG1 and 5 years of Atlantis we are still (well I am) confused and the non wiser about the Ancients and Wraith.

ANCIENTS

I find the time lines confusing, and sometimes don't make sense. There appears to be at least 2 stages of human evolution, a plague, going backwards and forwards between pegasus and MW. I mean we can make some assumptions and draw on some facts, but overall it seems to me that it is a history that is all over the place. Also the relationship between MW replicators, Asurans and Ancients. Don't forget the war with the Wraith.

Wraith

After 5 years, we still don't know much about Wraith culture, Wraith society.
                      How they have come to evolve in my eyes so quickly.

I find the whole thing very unsatisfying, any other thoughts?
                      Trust me, don't try to understand wraith culture, or their society... all you will find is lazy writing that doesn't stack up to the rest of the series.

I found this out the hard way. One of the reasons I was disappointed with the Atlantis series.

How can we watch a show when the enemy's back story doesn't even make sense? Oh well..

Comment

Fifty million years of history agreed, but there should still be some consistancey in it.
                        Is there much to our history?

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                          Is there much to our history?
                          When it comes to human or Earth history, there might be differences of opinion as to what really happened, but the time lines are quite consistent.
                          However with Ancient timeline, it seems what ever fits the plot of the episode at the time.

Comment

Who's we
                            Us.

Seriously though, I think it's all fairly simple. The Ancients came from the Ori Galaxy; they came here, made the Stargates, lived happily for a while, then a plague broke out, killing many. Some ascended, some left on Atlantis, and others survived. Those that left stationed themselves in Pegasus, seeded humans, and eventually discovered the Wraith. Those that survived the plague recreated life and presumably formed the Great Alliance of 4 Races. Eventually, they all died out or ascended. In Pegasus, war with the Wraith broke out, during which the Asurans were created as a weapon, and then destroyed (or so the Ancients thought); 10000 years ago, the Ancients decided to abandon Pegasus and the war, and came back to Earth. Some immersed themselves in our population, some ascended, and some travelled to other worlds. Either way, they all died or ascended soon after. The end.

The biggest stretch of missing time is what happened between the Milky Way being seeded with Stargates, and when the plague broke out; a perfect time to fit the construction and launch of the Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Us.

Seriously though, I think it's all fairly simple. The Ancients came from the Ori Galaxy; they came here, made the Stargates, lived happily for a while, then a plague broke out, killing many. Some ascended, some left on Atlantis, and others survived. Those that left stationed themselves in Pegasus, seeded humans, and eventually discovered the Wraith. Those that survived the plague recreated life and presumably formed the Great Alliance of 4 Races. Eventually, they all died out or ascended. In Pegasus, war with the Wraith broke out, during which the Asurans were created as a weapon, and then destroyed (or so the Ancients thought); 10000 years ago, the Ancients decided to abandon Pegasus and the war, and came back to Earth. Some immersed themselves in our population, some ascended, and some travelled to other worlds. Either way, they all died or ascended soon after. The end.

The biggest stretch of missing time is what happened between the Milky Way being seeded with Stargates, and when the plague broke out; a perfect time to fit the construction and launch of the Destiny.
                              I can't green you...but I wish I could. This really helps me, as Ancient history is something I am absolutely terrible with.

Thank you

Assuming this is correct

[EDIT] Oh joy, 1300 posts!
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X