This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far into the stargate?

How far do you have to walk into the stargate to start being transported? Do you have to walk to the end of it or is it the moment you touch it? I remember in "38 minutes" that they said that the other half of the puddle jumber was in a holding mode so to speak. So my question is how much of it was in holding mode? The section that had reached the end of the :blue water stuff" or did it include the section that had just touched it?
    Add to rep if you like the pic.

I love speculation as much as the next fan but this is a bit mad even for me... I would think that its as soon as you enter..... as for the holding section, its been mentioned a few times that the gate waits until the entire object has entered the gate to begin sending it.. and in the 'watergate' episode it mentioned some other factors that the gate takes in to account and is able to determine is something is actually entering it
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

If you are on the event horizon you have been demolecularised and are being held in the buffer.

Comment

If you're walking into the Stargate one step at a time, doesn't your forward foot have to land on something? What if you crawled into the Stargate?

Comment

Kuwalski's head went into and pulled back out of the gate in an early episode of the show.

He didn't immediately lose the top of his head. That only happened when the wormhole closed.

We've seen people play with the "puddle" with their finger, and they were able to get their fingertip back.

Seems you have to show the gate true "intent" before it sort of grabs and pulls on you (which is how I figure people can walk into the wormhole even tho their entry foot isn't supporting them any more, since it's dematerialized).

Comment

What if you put your head into the Stargate and hold it there for a few minutes, leaving your body standing on the platform? Its not like your body can get air or anything.

Thats just one of the many examples where logic dictates that it wouldn't work...but hey it doesn't bother me too much.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              What if you put your head into the Stargate and hold it there for a few minutes, leaving your body standing on the platform? Its not like your body can get air or anything.

Thats just one of the many examples where logic dictates that it wouldn't work...but hey it doesn't bother me too much.
              That's an example of what happened in Atlntis's 38 MINUTES. Half the puddle jumper with its pilot went into the wormole, and the back end got stuck.

Everything was fine, no lost of molecular cohesion with the front end.

The only problem is in the case of a human doing it, the body WOULD die from lack of oxygen. Still, from what we saw in the movie, it's possible there's still some sort of function just inside the wormhole. In the original movie Daniel's face went into it and for a moment he seemed to be aware of being inside it, before emerging on Abydos.

If someone's entire head went into the wormhole, either their body would automatically be pulled along, or in the least they'd remain conscious just inside, since they'd have yet to show the gate that they were really serious about coming thru. (More impressive version of the "fingertip" situation.)

Comment

The actual show/film has consistently been inconsistent when it comes to people entering the stargate. Technically speaking in most situations and explanations they give it is the exact moment that something is at the event horizon that it is buffered.

Comment

I agree that there is some inconsistency in the show in relation to this topic. They do try to explain why certain things happen while walking through the stargate and it's made to look like their knowledge gathering of the gate is still an ongoing process. For me it just makes the show more exciting. You never know what is going to happen next.

Comment

Originally posted by Niddle View Post
                    Kuwalski's head went into and pulled back out of the gate in an early episode of the show.

He didn't immediately lose the top of his head. That only happened when the wormhole closed.

We've seen people play with the "puddle" with their finger, and they were able to get their fingertip back.

Seems you have to show the gate true "intent" before it sort of grabs and pulls on you (which is how I figure people can walk into the wormhole even tho their entry foot isn't supporting them any more, since it's dematerialized).

When they thought Daniel died Jack and Sam placed a circle of flowers (forget what its called) just onto the event horizon of the gate and let go. It took a few seconds for the flowers to get sucked in but they did not fall down at all. The stargate held them in place. Maybe that is how one is able to walk through without the support of their de-molecularized foot.
                    "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

Just watched that episode with the Flowers, it was Fire & Water.
                      http://www.justgiving.com/mdfundraiser/

Comment

Working...
                      X