This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming etiquette ?

Ok, as per tradition when referring to everything encompassing a show or collection of shows under the smae title it is common to refer to them in the shows "universe"

Star trek universe, whedonverse, dc universe, etc.

But now with a show called Stargate Universe, what term should we use to describe the common lore and principles that guide this "universe"

Originally posted by The Prof View Post
    Ok, as per tradition when referring to everything encompassing a show or collection of shows under the smae title it is common to refer to them in the shows "universe"

Star trek universe, whedonverse, dc universe, etc.

But now with a show called Stargate Universe, what term should we use to describe the common lore and principles that guide this "universe"
    Uh, as long as we're talking rules under grammar, maybe you want to check what you've written before you click Post

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way we're doing it now. When we're talking about Stargate Universe, we're talking about the show; when we're talking about the Stargate universe, we're talking about just that.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

SGU

The Stargate Universe

I think I can see the difference... but maybe I need to take a closer look
      "The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!"

Comment

How about ''The Stargate reality'' ?
        Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Yes...
          Capitalize the U= show title
          Lower case u = regular noun
          "There are no fish in this pond, are there?"

-- Samantha Carter, "Stargate SG-1: Threads"

Comment

Gateverse?

Comment

'Stargate Universe' (the show) shouldn't be prefaced with 'the', unless you're saying "the show stargate universe..'
              The Stargate Universe (canon) should be prefaced with 'the'.

Comment

The SG'verse. I think.

Comment

Did you even read your post before you clicked post? I didn't understand a word of what you just wrote!
                  Add to rep if you like the pic.

Comment

how about stargate universe and stargate universe....yeah...

Comment

*rolls eyes*
                      WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
                      Germany Chiefed Poland.
                      England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
                      England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
                      France got Chiefed.
                      Japan decided to scout America.
                      America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
                      America cut Japan to 90 pop.
                      Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
                      USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
                      Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
                      Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
                      USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
                      Hitler deleted his account...
                      USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

I think there's a good possibility people will figure out what you're talking about no matter what term you use. Context clues are your friends!
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          I think there's a good possibility people will figure out what you're talking about no matter what term you use. Context clues are your friends!
                          Context and grammar is everything.

I LOVE the stargate universe, but i'm not so sure about stargate universe... hasn't there been some talk that stargate universe will not be in the canon stargate universe? I would think that whatever stargate universe is in, it would be considered teh stargate universe as the canon writers are writing it. In the end, stargate universe is in the stargate universe, and when talking about the stargate universe, i'm pretty sure we'll be able to tell the difference between stargate universe, and the stargate universe

^Above was intentionally non capitalized. Just because i like to be annoying

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101/Loneranger-1 View Post
                            hasn't there been some talk that stargate universe will not be in the canon stargate universe? I would think that whatever stargate universe is in, it would be considered teh stargate universe as the canon writers are writing it
                            No, that's only from a certain whiny thread here at GW. You're 100% correct in that, as it is a TPTB-run extension of the SG-verse it will be canon.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              No, that's only from a certain whiny thread here at GW. You're 100% correct in that, as it is a TPTB-run extension of the SG-verse it will be canon.
                              I believe he/she was just trying to think of a paragraph in which the two terms were used overly much in order to show that we could understand the difference between Stargate Universe and the Stargate universe. It had nothing to do with actually thinking that, I think.

And the point was proven- in context, you will be able to tell the difference.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                              X