Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A really silly question regarding the ship.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A really silly question regarding the ship.

I apologise in advance for this, but I am very curious. I should also point out that I haven't been here long. I was reading on Wikipedia about the show and its setting. According to Wikipedia, the crew is stranded on a ship that is abandoned, derelict and run down without life support. Does this mean that the ship is going to be stationary for the series or will the crew repair the ship by the conclusion of the pilot episode and explore space with the ship like Star Trek?

Again, apologies, but I am looking forward to this show and just trying to see what i'm in for

Neither, they will be stuck on a ship that is constantly moving through galaxies once they board it, as apparently they cause it to start back up again. It's still very run down and not in the greatest of shape
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Coronach You make it sound a little like The TARDIS from Doctor Who in the sense of it having a mind of its own. Could be good, i'm only up to S2 of SG1, so you'll need to confuse my slowness here, thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
        Thanks, Coronach You make it sound a little like The TARDIS from Doctor Who in the sense of it having a mind of its own. Could be good, i'm only up to S2 of SG1, so you'll need to confuse my slowness here, thanks again!
        Haha, no problem. Watching SG1 and SGA isn't going to help too tremendously when watching SGU though, so don't feel rushed to finish it (unless you really want to ).

I'm not sure if the Destiny will have a "mind of its own" in the sense of artificial intelligence or anything (probably not). However, I do think it's on an automated course that the crew from Earth can't change.
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          Neither, they will be stuck on a ship that is constantly moving through galaxies once they board it, as apparently they cause it to start back up again. It's still very run down and not in the greatest of shape
          was it stated that the ship wasnt operational (as in with exploring and such)?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            was it stated that the ship wasnt operational (as in with exploring and such)?
            Not to my knowledge. My impression has been that, once they get on the Destiny, it either activates by itself or one of the crew activates it somehow and it gets going again.

Based on the trailers, though, I get the feeling that it had been dormant before then. This part I'm not sure of though.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

I haven't heard anything about the ship activating when they arrive, I was under the assumption the ship was already well on its way, which explains why it's already so far away.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                I haven't heard anything about the ship activating when they arrive, I was under the assumption the ship was already well on its way, which explains why it's already so far away.
                This is a possibility too...it could still be travelling, but they just activate lights and other non-primary systems when they get aboard.
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

That's what i thought

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                    This is a possibility too...it could still be travelling, but they just activate lights and other non-primary systems when they get aboard.
                    Exactly, the ships on it's way but as it's unmanned things like lifesupport, lights etc would've been switched off, no need for power consumption from unneeded systems, it's only when the team get there that sensors pick up life onboard, activating all these systems. IMO the ship has to be already travelling for it to make sense that they're so far away from the home.

Comment

Exactly, the ships on it's way but as it's unmanned things like lifesupport, lights etc would've been switched off, no need for power consumption from unneeded systems, it's only when the team get there that sensors pick up life onboard, activating all these systems. IMO the ship has to be already travelling for it to make sense that they're so far away from the home.
                      This is a good point. I was thinking before that it could have gotten pretty far back before they abandoned the project, but now I think this is a better idea. Plus, I can't remember why I thought it had stopped somewhere, as I don't think there was anything said about this.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                        Yeah don't rush it.. enjoy SG-1. Still there will be some crossover elements from SG-1 in SGU but i'm sure it will be all cool... just don't rush.. and if you see something in the pilot of SGU from SG-1, just look it up in the Stargate wiki!!
                        sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression it was in a hanger bay or some sort of space dock myself. maybe something like in SGA's episode "Inferno".

I like the idea of the ship being between galaxies..

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrogue View Post
                            I was under the impression it was in a hanger bay or some sort of space dock myself. maybe something like in SGA's episode "Inferno".

I like the idea of the ship being between galaxies..
                            Problem with that is that there are no planets to speak of, between galaxies, just the starless void of space. And it was my understanding that they'll be exploring new planets as the ship travels.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                              Problem with that is that there are no planets to speak of, between galaxies, just the starless void of space. And it was my understanding that they'll be exploring new planets as the ship travels.

If humans of earth can make midway, then surely the ancients could have made a decent space station to build it.. keeping it between galaxies would have hid it from nosy people.

Yeah they'll be exploring as the ship travels, but the traveling is initiated when they board it, so presumably it will be docked or drifting or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X