This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steampunk aspect to Stargate Universe

What do you think about the new "steampunk" feel to ancient tech? I think it's pretty interesting, and does a good job of distancing this tech from the stuff found in SGA and SG-1- which makes sense, considering the fact that this stuff is (millions?) of years older than the things found in Atlantis and, in most cases, the things found in SG-1. I also think that, due to the different design of ancient tech, it will be easier for newcomers to the franchise to get used to it, since we will all be learning about this new (actually, very old) tech. Anyways, how do you feel about this new "theme" to ancient tech?
    I also noticed that Warehouse 13 had a steampunk feel to it (the keyboard, Tesla's gun, the video communicators). Do you think that there is a large steampunk fanbase in SyFy's administrative parts?
    btw, I know that there was another thread about this, but it was from 2008. Didn't really think it was active, so I posted this.
    That is all.
    The Communist Party!
    sigpic

Don't watch warehouse 13, but I must say- I love the steampunk aspect that I'm seeing in SGU! When implemented correctly it can look really cool!
    sigpic
    Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

I agree- when the writers actually know what they are doing, they can pull off some amazing things with steampunk. Just look at Firefly. btw, Warehouse 13 actually had a pretty decent pilot. I didn't like any of the main characters except for Arty (the scientist), but it was very well done.
      That is all.
      The Communist Party!
      sigpic

Comment

I don't mean to sound dumb but steampunk?
        WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
        Germany Chiefed Poland.
        England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
        England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
        France got Chiefed.
        Japan decided to scout America.
        America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
        America cut Japan to 90 pop.
        Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
        USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
        Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
        Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
        USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
        Hitler deleted his account...
        USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

...It means "old"... sort of... like from the era when things were steam powered... I looked it up on wikipedia a few moments ago ... that's what I got out of the article... (not the best explanation)

I prefer the more advanced look (like Atlantis with crystals and glowing panels everywhere.) Although Destiny was built millions of years before that so it stands to reason it wouldn't be exactly the same... but still. I mean, you don't see vacuum tubes and typewriter keys on the Daedalus.

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

I love the steampunk touch on SG:U, the Destiny really looks old. Five years ago, when Atlantis was about to begin, I was expecting the Lost City to be an aged, ruined place; instead we've got an Atlantis that looked brand new.

So all in all, I like tot hink that the producers made amends to me by aging down the Destiny.
            sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

For those of you who don't know what steampunk is, it's when advanced technology has the "feel" of technology from the Victorian era. I happen to like steampunk, but I know that some don't like it. I think the main 2 reasons that the writers put it in was to 1) distance it from the ancient tech of the previous two franchises and 2) look sweet. I just think it's a great new direction for stargate to go in, and if they do it right, it could be just as good as Atlantis, hopefully as good as SG-1 originally was.
              That is all.
              The Communist Party!
              sigpic

Comment

I like it, actually prefer what I've seen thus far to the Atlantis designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nchewbacca View Post
                  I also noticed that Warehouse 13 had a steampunk feel to it (the keyboard, Tesla's gun, the video communicators). Do you think that there is a large steampunk fanbase in SyFy's administrative parts?
                  Yeah, I'm thinking there must definitely be some steampunk fans in SyFy. SGU, Warehouse 13, and Sanctuary too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nchewbacca View Post
                    What do you think about the new "steampunk" feel to ancient tech? I think it's pretty interesting, and does a good job of distancing this tech from the stuff found in SGA and SG-1- which makes sense, considering the fact that this stuff is (millions?) of years older than the things found in Atlantis and, in most cases, the things found in SG-1. I also think that, due to the different design of ancient tech, it will be easier for newcomers to the franchise to get used to it, since we will all be learning about this new (actually, very old) tech. Anyways, how do you feel about this new "theme" to ancient tech?
                    btw, I know that there was another thread about this, but it was from 2008. Didn't really think it was active, so I posted this.
                    I'm glad you put this up your right this new/old Ancient tech is i would say new to us so for new-comers it,s brilliant the writers have certainly thought this through

I,m so glad we got some new/old tech should be fun to watch good job re-posting this
                    It,s a very interesting topic
                    Made by the wonderful Lahela

Comment

I think it looks great. Very T.A.R.D.I.S.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like the look of the parts we've seen of the destiny so far. I wonder what the command ceter/bridge will look like though.
                        sigpic
                        Sig Courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

I'm interested to see the shuttle interior, that seems to follow a slightly different design to the destiny, I wonder if they followed the concept art exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by frostwolf View Post
                            I like the look of the parts we've seen of the destiny so far. I wonder what the command ceter/bridge will look like though.
                            Hmm i really don't know if there will be a bridge there might as if there was they could just fly the ship themselves but who knows
                            Made by the wonderful Lahela

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                              I'm interested to see the shuttle interior, that seems to follow a slightly different design to the destiny, I wonder if they followed the concept art exactly.
                              There's Concept artwork for the new Jumper style ships? I must have missed something.

Anyways, I also love this Steampunk feel. It would seem that the Ancients and Ori really liked the high tech mixed with low tech lifestyles and artistic design. Especially for their more commercial and civilian aspects. With the Destiny most lily being built after The Ark of Truth which had a similar setting.
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me
                              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X