This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Stargate to you?

Okay, i've been asking myself this for awhile and i want a real discussion about it.

What is Stargate to you?

Is it the Original Team going through the gate to fight a losing battle against Apophis and the System Lords?

Is it Jaffa rising up and fighting along side the Tau'ri against Anubis?

Is it the Human/Jaffa/Asgard alliance fighting a bloody futile war against the Ori?

Is it Atlantis struggling to survive, fighting off the Wraith demons with only partial success?

Is it Team Shep blowing up solar systems riding shotgun on the Daedalus?

Is it massive battles of dozens of ships fighting a holding action above Asuras?

Is it negotiating to try and get the suddenly weaker wraith to stop feeding?

Is it a Wraith SuperHive threatening Earth?

Or is it a lost crew on a ship umptybillions of lightyears away?

Obviously i'm being a little sarcastic.

I can go on. Let's take Samantha Carter for instance because the whole Chimera/Pete arc and fan reaction really bugged the hell out of me.

Is she a spunky butt kicking astrophysicist Captain/Major who gets visibly weak in teh knees around O'Neill and none others?

Or is she a Lt Colonel/Colonel who realizes that she's letting her life slip by and in desperation, grabs hold of whatever's nearby and accessible?

I can't help but notice that the majority of the outspoken fans see only the first one. (Especially in Fanfic though that doesn't surprise me) Like... come on! take the blinders off!

same with the rest of the series, Defending the Early Seasons? WTF!? you wouldn't have the later seasons without them!

so that's my question, Is Stargate a specific episode? a specific arc? A specific pairing? is it the whole franchise?

I'm not advocating one or the other, i'm just curious as to what the hardcore fans think.
    Last edited by Guest; 18 July 2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: Where did that Thumbs down come from?

To me, Stargate is the most current sci-fi show in our time. It's the only show that's really relevant to me specifically; however, that may be because I'm military, just like the characters(OK, not exactly like the characters; I'm Army, they're Air Force.). And the SG program has an Army team now, as well as representation of all branches, so I'm a very happy camper.

Besides that, Stargate is about hope. In the bad days of Bush, it was a program that said the government could be sensible, and long-eyed. After all, in the middle of season 4 we were told they were working on a way to change reality, instead of having to go to a specific place and make things happen.
    It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

To me, STARGATE is the (2nd) best Television series ever made.

Stargate is a great action, humour , moral and well written show. Everything about it is amazing. I don't think one aspect/Story/Character, is better than the other. It just all fits so well. All put together = Stargate... For me any way.

(I probably make no sense or this is not what you were asking me.)
      -Jaffa Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffa Warrior View Post
        To me, STARGATE is the (2nd) best Television series ever made.

Stargate is a great action, humour , moral and well written show. Everything about it is amazing. I don't think one aspect/Story/Character, is better than the other. It just all fits so well. All put together = Stargate... For me any way.

(I probably make no sense or this is not what you were asking me.)
        Makes sense to me.
        It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
        --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

To Me...Stargate is the center of the universe...I'm a HUGEfan....I've seen every episode a dozen times, stayed up-to-date with airings and everything

It is also seeing favorite actors, and hearing their humor

It is the anticipation of anxiously waiting for that new episode [or series] to air

It is waiting to see new twists, new takes on relationships, space ships, weapons, seeing who or what gets killed...
          WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
          Germany Chiefed Poland.
          England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
          England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
          France got Chiefed.
          Japan decided to scout America.
          America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
          America cut Japan to 90 pop.
          Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
          USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
          Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
          Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
          USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
          Hitler deleted his account...
          USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Stargate isn't any one thing. I like the fact that there are stories that I personally didn't like, that is a inevitable result of telling a variety of storylines rather than following the same formula over an over again.
            I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

For me, it's fun, friendship and team adventure, banter and geeky stuff. Scenes? Ronon falling asleep while meditating with Teyla. John and Rodney playing chess or with toy cars. Episodes? Inferno, Echoes, The Ark, Prodigal. It's been a long while since I watched SG-1, so I can't give you any specifics there.

Comment

I like tha fact that it's long running, so there's lots to watch and there is SG SG1 SGA and now a new thingie

the series doesn't take itself too seriously too, think of wormhole extreme, 200 and other episodes

it's fun to watch, that's it, I can't think of one episode that brings my piss to a boil (except maybe the Ba'al clones I HATE THOSE ******) (they should have at least kept his goa'uld voice)
                The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total b*stard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Comment

Stargate, to me, is all the TV shows, even Universe when it comes out. There's so much variety in storylines and characters that it's hard to say that Stargate is just one of the TV shows, or that one of the characters describes the entire series.

Comment

It has everthing

Guns,poiltics,relationships,si-fi stuff eg ships, aliens and just is good

hate human form replicator storyline s7-8

cheese!!

Comment

Stargate SG-1, to me, is one of the greatest television shows in history. It had everything that you could ever want, humor, action, drama, relatioships, space battles, etc, etc, and so on. Another reason this was one of the best television shows ever, is that they don't take their selves seriously. It isn't like BSG, where they are so serious(We don't really know how dark SGU will be so, shut it).

Stargate: Altantis, to me, was a very good, but it wasn't one of the best shows like what SG-1 is. The reasons why the show wasn't great was mainly because it didn't have any originality late in the seasons with the redoing of the Asgard(Lost Tribe) and the Replicators(Asurans). They should have had brand new races, completely different people, and in the late seasons it seemed like it had the same villages and villagers over and over again. But with all that been said, it still it is still in the top ten of my favorite scifi/fantasy shows ever.
                      R.I.P. you will be missed

My Top Five Favorite Quotes/Quips(right now)
                      Spoiler:
                      "Well, it's like my grandma used to say, if at first you don't succeed..."
                      "Try a larger thermonuclear reaction?"
                      "Her words exactly."

"We are beacons on the road to enlightenment."
                      "No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you."
                      "Nice work on the metaphor."
                      "Thank you."

"Will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air... outside. General, Captain, General... waiter."

"General."
                      "Colonel. We've all met."
                      "Yes, actually we know each other's life stories."
                      "That snippiness?"
                      "Is that a word?"

"If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do."
                      "You mean bluff?"
                      "Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know."
                      "Which is nothing."
                      "Right. But they don't know we know nothing."

Comment

is good sci-fi, and a good time oh and tons of comedy
                        sigpic
                        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Hmm i like the answers i've gotten so far

Personally, i like stargate because the characters aren't one or two dimensional like you find in many Sci-fi shows. Granted i would do things differently, but to give a number, Stargate is 75% of what i want in an entertaining sci-fi show

The characters for the most part are believable, and they are certainly entertaining. I still remember laughing my posterior off when O'Neill went "That's O'Neill with 2 Ls!" and held up three fingers

Aspects i don't like? Sure, but it's still damn entertaining

Comment

to me it also the beginning
                            sigpic
                            May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

To me, Stargate is a whole slew of things. Overall, it is my favorite show(s). It has so much adventure, technology, mythology, wonderful characters, romance, and so many different stories. It's a way for me to unwind after a busy day and has something for everyone to enjoy.

Yeah, my answer is not as deep as the rest of them, but in all, Stargate is a fascinating world that makes me always come back for more.
                              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Working...
                              X