This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Background?

we were told to create a new thread for commenting on the new black background. here it is.

i don't like it. i know i'll get used to it, but i don't like it because it's too stark between the black to the white text box. that's all.

i know you, darren, said there'd be three different backgrounds, but will this be happening anytime soon?
    sally

sigpic

I like the new backround The symbols show up fine for me to.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
      I like the new backround The symbols show up fine for me to.
      i see the symbols.

i think part of my prob is that i've got widescreen monitor (it's new!), but i adjusted it to not be all squashy-like, so the black background is rather big. i'm keeping the adjustment, but the black is distracting and makes it hard(er) on the eyes to read the white box of the threads.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

There are symbols?

Moves the laptop screen back and forth...

Huh, so there are. Hmmm, they don't show up very well for me.

Anyway, I don't mind the black, it's just a little strange since all the forums I visit regularly have some form of blue background, and now GW doesn't match anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          i see the symbols.

i think part of my prob is that i've got widescreen monitor (it's new!), but i adjusted it to not be all squashy-like, so the black background is rather big. i'm keeping the adjustment, but the black is distracting and makes it hard(er) on the eyes to read the white box of the threads.
          I use a laptop, but the screen is sort of new since i broke it a while back But i agree its a bit harder on the eyes when reading on the white box threads.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm sure it will take a little while to get used to it, but I like the new background! I noticed the symbols right away and thought that they looked cool (I keep the screen on my laptop at 50% brightness, and I can still see the symbols).

I thought it might be a little hard on the eyes, but after 15 minutes of surfing around the forum, I don't think it's any harder to read than it was before. Actually, I'm already getting used to it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest when I'm reading threads.

Thanks, Darren! I think it's cool and can't wait to see what other changes are heading our way.
            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I like it the blue was flat and boring (Plus I love the color black and don;t think I am a dark person that lives in a cave I am not just like the color)

I can see it all fine course this laptop is less than a year old so the colors are still perfect and clear (unlike the desk top )
              sigpic

Comment

The symbols show fine for me also, are they an address or just randomness... and turn the A in the gateworld into the tau'ri symbol will ya. it would be cool, infact turn all the a's on the site into them.....
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

OMG NO!!! CHANGE IT BACK!!

It makes the scroll rate when using arrow keys HORRIBLE!!
                  And even the mouse wheel! Unacceptable! :'(

Go Green

Comment

It's merely OK. I'm not a fan of black websites in general, especially if there's high contrast with the text. I can live with this, but I'd prefer it to be a dark blue to be easier on the eyes. *shrug*

The symbols are a nice touch, if a killer on the dialup.
                    Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post

It makes the scroll rate when using arrow keys HORRIBLE!!
                      And even the mouse wheel! Unacceptable! :'(
                      I haven't experienced this at all.

Also, I really like the new background, and can't wait to see how it fits with the "other changes" that were mentioned.
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not seeing any symbols. I thought it was an advertising "re-skin" thing with a black background that I just wasn't getting the ads for (and I turn off the ad blocker for GateWorld).

If there were a vote on it, I'd vote to go back to the blue. It seemed more coherent than this black.

Comment

I like the new background. It's easier on the eyes

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                            I'm with you! I hate it! Too dark and... I DON'T SEE ANY SYMBOLS!!! Is it because I have a desktop? It seems that only folks with laptops can see them... or folks with they're monitors at a brighter contrast...

Hmmm...

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK DARREN!!! PLEASE!!!
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                              I'm with you! I hate it! Too dark and... I DON'T SEE ANY SYMBOLS!!! Is it because I have a desktop? It seems that only folks with laptops can see them... or folks with they're monitors at a brighter contrast...

Hmmm...

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK DARREN!!! PLEASE!!!
                              I haven't viewed it on a laptop yet, but all of the desktops I've used so far, including mine at home, I am able to see the symbols. It might have something to do with the contrast, so maybe that could be adjusted.

Also, it could be the case that the white textbox for the forums and general brighter colors make it harder to discern the symbols in the black background if you stare at it for too long.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X