This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Politics

Have you ever heard of the saying "Never talk about Sex, Politics, and Religion", while i disagree I say as Mal said in Serenity "I aim to misbehave"

Sex= Gay/Lesibian Marriage what are people'a opinion about them?
    Politics= What are your opinions on Barack Obama so far?
    Regilion(if you look closely in Off-Topic chatter there is already a topic that talks about that)

OR

if you have any other topic and/or question for the people post them and we'll fight about them, just try to keep it nice but still stating your points
    R.I.P. you will be missed

My Top Five Favorite Quotes/Quips(right now)
    Spoiler:
    "Well, it's like my grandma used to say, if at first you don't succeed..."
    "Try a larger thermonuclear reaction?"
    "Her words exactly."

"We are beacons on the road to enlightenment."
    "No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you."
    "Nice work on the metaphor."
    "Thank you."

"Will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air... outside. General, Captain, General... waiter."

"General."
    "Colonel. We've all met."
    "Yes, actually we know each other's life stories."
    "That snippiness?"
    "Is that a word?"

"If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do."
    "You mean bluff?"
    "Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know."
    "Which is nothing."
    "Right. But they don't know we know nothing."

Originally posted by sramir2 View Post
    Have you ever heard of the saying "Never talk about Sex, Politics, and Religion", while i disagree I say as Mal said in Serenity "I aim to misbehave"
    I've never adhered to that statement, .

My first opinion is that gay/lesbian sex =/= gay and lesbian marriage, so I'd hate to conflate the two.

Um...I voted for him. To be honest (and I'm a bit angry at myself for this), I haven't been following him as closely as I should. So I can't comment on this either way. I can comment on things about him that don't necessarily pertain to his current progress as president, but that may not be as interesting.

Regilion(if you look closely in Off-Topic chatter there is already a topic that talks about that)
    Sort of, but that topic is rife with...indecisiveness about what the topic is actually about, .

OR

if you have any other topic and/or question for the people post them and we'll fight about them, just try to keep it nice but still stating your points
    I hate fighting I like discussing though, . I'll just hang back and see what others say before responding about anything...though I may not be around when the fun begins
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
      I've never adhered to that statement, .

My first opinion is that gay/lesbian sex =/= gay and lesbian marriage, so I'd hate to conflate the two.

Um...I voted for him. To be honest (and I'm a bit angry at myself for this), I haven't been following him as closely as I should. So I can't comment on this either way. I can comment on things about him that don't necessarily pertain to his current progress as president, but that may not be as interesting.

Sort of, but that topic is rife with...indecisiveness about what the topic is actually about, .

I hate fighting I like discussing though, . I'll just hang back and see what others say before responding about anything...though I may not be around when the fun begins
      Right on.

Comment

I didn't vote for either Barack Obama or John McCain, because:

When I saw John McCain I saw another George Bush.

But, when I saw Barack Obama I didn't know what I saw, when he was saying change and help I not a big fan of those two words in politics they scare me.

When I was talking about sex I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the political side of two men or two women getting married, what are your opinions about it, mine are they should be able to marry but the federal government shouldn't step in and mess with it, it should be up to the states to decide, not the federal government. I'm not gay but I have gay and lesibian friends.

I would give Obama a C+ so far, the National health Plan is horrible, The Cap and Trade Bill is also horrible, but he has improve the encomony a little bit, and I think that he has improved relations with the countries that Bush put a strain on, like Cuba, China, Russia, and France.

Does anybody like the cap and trade bill that the house just passed? I hate it all that it means is that people will lose jobs and electric bills will go up. So what's the good side the good side in that?

Does anybody want national health care? I don't want it, it's a horrible idea, it want be free, who's going to be paying for it? Us that's who.
        R.I.P. you will be missed

My Top Five Favorite Quotes/Quips(right now)
        Spoiler:
        "Well, it's like my grandma used to say, if at first you don't succeed..."
        "Try a larger thermonuclear reaction?"
        "Her words exactly."

"We are beacons on the road to enlightenment."
        "No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you."
        "Nice work on the metaphor."
        "Thank you."

"Will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air... outside. General, Captain, General... waiter."

"General."
        "Colonel. We've all met."
        "Yes, actually we know each other's life stories."
        "That snippiness?"
        "Is that a word?"

"If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do."
        "You mean bluff?"
        "Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know."
        "Which is nothing."
        "Right. But they don't know we know nothing."

Comment

Who gives a **** who marries who...I don't get what the difference between making the decision at state or federal level though - why not take it at regional level, or city level...or your local street can take the decision. The arguments on both sides of the debate are just as valid if you live in Seattle as it does in Texas. The only people who it affects are those who want one, so it doesn't matter where they live, therefore it should be taken at a federal level.

I'm not american, but I followed american politics closely...on the daily show

Obama has done pretty good. Expectations were so high that even if he does a good job, it will be seen as mediocre. He has done fantastically well over Iran - keeping america out of it was the best call...the Ayatollah was forced to blame Britain for the trouble. If bush was still in, you know it would all be america's fault.

On the issue of health care, I can never understand why american's have a problem with nationalised health care. It works in other countries, yes taxes will go up, but it's a small price to pay to help the poorest people within your society. As for the people who are morally opposed to the idea of taxing the rich to pay for the poor - you could apply logic to police forces or the military.
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
            Who gives a **** who marries who...I don't get what the difference between making the decision at state or federal level though - why not take it at regional level, or city level...or your local street can take the decision. The arguments on both sides of the debate are just as valid if you live in Seattle as it does in Texas. The only people who it affects are those who want one, so it doesn't matter where they live, therefore it should be taken at a federal level.
            Haha, I suppose I never did state what my actual opinion was on it. I have no problem with gay people getting married, and I support gay rights fully.

I'm not american, but I followed american politics closely...on the daily show
            Lol, I like the Daily Show.
            Obama has done pretty good. Expectations were so high that even if he does a good job, it will be seen as mediocre. He has done fantastically well over Iran - keeping america out of it was the best call...the Ayatollah was forced to blame Britain for the trouble.
            From what I can tell (like I said, I haven't been paying much attention to his presidency so far...been preoccupied) this is a fair assessment. I certainly don't think he's done poorly, and he's only been in for 6-months. I want to give it more time to see.

On the issue of health care, I can never understand why american's have a problem with nationalised health care. It works in other countries, yes taxes will go up, but it's a small price to pay to help the poorest people within your society. As for the people who are morally opposed to the idea of taxing the rich to pay for the poor - you could apply logic to police forces or the military.
            I don't know enough about it, but I will say I don't have problems with nationalized health care. My strong point really isn't politics though, and I'm nowhere near as informed now as I was pre-election.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

I find it illogical that homosexual couples can't marry, and I find the arguments against it weak. I'm glad that I live in a country where gay marriage has been legalized.

I like him, but most people in like him because Bush's politics is considered far-right and would probably fit in smaller parties like the xenophobic Sweden Democrats. I'm very passionate about politics and I'm a member of Green Youth, the youth organization of the swedish green party. Usualy I go around talking to people about the current governments shortcomings when it's about the enviroment and the way they've been able to actually make things worse for the unemployed.

Religion(if you look closely in Off-Topic chatter there is already a topic that talks about that)
              I do not belive in any religion, but I do respect religious people.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                I find it illogical that homosexual couples can't marry, and I find the arguments against it weak. I'm glad that I live in a country where gay marriage has been legalized.

I like him, but most people in like him because Bush's politics is considered far-right and would probably fit in smaller parties like the xenophobic Sweden Democrats. I'm very passionate about politics and I'm a member of Green Youth, the youth organization of the swedish green party. Usualy I go around talking to people about the current governments shortcomings when it's about the enviroment and the way they've been able to actually make things worse for the unemployed.

I do not belive in any religion, but I do respect religious people.
                If they are then Obama's policies are...slightly less to the far right, but still way way way on the right. And not on the left.

Comment

Obama's politics aren't considered far-right, more like right,or centre-right. Not all of Bush's politics would be considered far-right, but all of them would still be on the right side of politics.
                  sigpic

Comment

Obama's politics aren't considered far-right, more like right,or centre-right. Not all of Bush's politics would be considered far-right, but all of them would still be on the right side of politics.
                    Wait. who calls Obama's policies center right?
                    And in most of the important policies that these two men have had recently they are virtually the same, on a large amount of important issues, Bush does have some....a lot...of differences too, but Bush was a moderate.

Comment

Well, I'm finding it hard to place Obama on a political map. It's probably because he does things like raising taxes for the rich, which is a thing that the parties on the left usually does here in Sweden. You should know that I'm not an expert on american politics, that's my friend Alexandra's area of expertice.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm finding it hard to place Obama on a political map. It's probably because he does things like raising taxes for the rich, which is a thing that the parties on the left usually does here in Sweden. You should know that I'm not an expert on american politics, that's my friend Alexandra's area of expertice.
                        Welol its so hard to place him on the map cause he keeps on saying one thing...and then does the complete opposite of what he says, its like we have two presidents almost. Who do you believe? Who do you trust? Which one is his political reality? And odds are it is not the one that speaks, but the one that does.

Comment

Yeah I get the same feeling from our prime minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt.

Before the election: -We are the new moderate party and we are working for a more equal Sweden.

After the election: -WE WON THE ELECTION, WE CAN DO WHATEVER THE HECK WE WANT!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
                            I don't see any way America could afford something like that. Things like social Security and Welfare are already running out of money.

Also who counts as "rich" often this category extends to middle class families who will have a hard time supporting their family with increased taxes. Those who are really wealthy could leave the county if taxes get too high leaving the middle class to pay the bill.

Hospitals also currently treat poor people without giving them a bill.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                              I don't see any way America could afford something like that. Things like social Security and Welfare are already running out of money.
                              If it's taxpayers paying it (as he suggested), then this shouldn't matter.
                              Also who counts as "rich" often this category extends to middle class families who will have a hard time supporting their family with increased taxes. Those who are really wealthy could leave the county if taxes get too high leaving the middle class to pay the bill.
                              Possibly, but I'm not convinced such a thing would happen.

Hospitals also currently treat poor people without giving them a bill.
                              All hospitals? Any hospital a poor person wants to get treated at? I've never heard of this...though maybe it's the case. Certainly puts a lot of extra pressure on hospitals though, when some of that work could be shifted to the family clinics.
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X