This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
    I totally understand your frustration although I don't get quite as upset about it. My sister has introduced me to Farscape and, although it's a little too far fetched for my taste, it's at least given me something else to feed my sci-fi addiction. The SG1 books are also helping, I'm enjoying those more then I ever did the show.

As for The Chosen, Halcyon and Exogenesis, I found mine on ebay (bulk lot of 8 books for $11 included all three titles, I just resold the books in the lot that I already had)..I also got a bulk lot with those titles in it for my sister for $8 and another lot of 5 books with The Chosen (which I gave away to someone on this site who never ever let me know if they even read it) as well as Exogenesis and Halcyon included (cost $7)which I resold for a huge profit. I also picked up a set of 5 SG1 books that included Siren Song and Survival of the fittest, also hard to find books.

I find the trick is to be patient, check daily and search for bulk lots not just those individual titles. People looking for Halcyon will put 'Stargate Halcyon' in the search bar, not 'Stargate bulk lot' or 'Stargate set of' in the search bar and they miss the lots that have those books included because the key word doesn't show up. IYKWIM? Also useing a snipe like gixen.com is a handy trick.

Still, a reprint of these books would make life much easier for many fans and surely there's enough interest for the publisher to do so when folks are willing to part with, in some cases, over $100 to buy one of these books.
    I tried ebay but it cost a fortune to get them sent here an also I was out bid most of the times so I have kinda given up with ebay an Amazon UK does have them but last time I checked some greedy so an so was asking for over 200 quid FOR A PAPERBACK I love SGA but I'm not paying that for a paperback. But I'll keep looking I have all the ones so far except those an the pre orders of course I'm a horder I will never get rid of them once bought I re read them quite often hey I'm a sad muppett.

I dont actually have any of the SG1 books or DVDs come to that, I like SG1 but not enough to buy stuff. That said I am considering maybe buying the odd one here or there but I'd much rather have the SGA first though. It just gets right up nose that the SGU pilot book will be out before the promised SGA books its just I've been waiting so long for them an they just still keep getting the release dates put back its sooooooo annoying.

ps I love Farscape watched from start to finish ( including the peace keeper wars lest said about that the better )
    Last edited by Atlantis Rocks; 02 October 2009, 01:53 PM.
    Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
      I tried ebay but it cost a fortune to get them sent here an also I was out bid most of the times so I have kinda given up with ebay an Amazon UK does have them but last time I checked some greedy so an so was asking for over 200 quid FOR A PAPERBACK I love SGA but I'm not paying that for a paperback. But I'll keep looking I have all the ones so far except those an the pre orders of course I'm a horder I will never get rid of them once bought I re read them quite often hey I'm a sad muppett.

I dont actually have any of the SG1 books or DVDs come to that, I like SG1 but not enough to buy stuff. That said I am considering maybe buying the odd one here or there but I'd much rather have the SGA first though. It just gets right up nose that the SGU pilot book will be out before the promised SGA books its just I've been waiting so long for them an they just still keep getting the release dates put back its sooooooo annoying.

ps I love Farscape watched from start to finish ( including the peace keeper wars lest said about that the better )
      Ahh, yeah. Depending on where you are postage can be a killer. I use a snipe so I don't get out bid so much.

I didn't know about PKW until after I finished watching the Farscape series, got to that end scene after John proposes to Aeryn in the boat and was all "What the hell!!!!" I was just so relieved to discover they'd made Peace Keeper Wars and fixed that ending that I'm willing to overlook a lot of the stuff I didn't like. lol...(except what they did to D'argo *grrr*)

I have the SG1 series only because my sister bought me the 10 season box as a gift, otherwise I wouldn't have it at all because I don't love it enough to spend that much money on it, but I got the books cheap and am really glad I bought them because they are really good so far. They've hooked me enough that I'll be buying them new as they come out from now on. Nothing will replace SGA though, I'm even resorting to reading fanfiction for my SGA fic.

Comment

I want my new SGA novels I was promised this year and I want them now! grrrrrrrrr
        Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
          Sorry I'm so p'd off at the mo, the books are my only way to get a SGA fix an its getting stupid.
          Well, if you're looking for new SGA stuff, there's six original stories right here - http://www.bigfinish.com/Stargate-SG-1-and-Atlantis

Just sayin'...

Out Now:
          Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
          Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
          "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
          ---------------------------------------------------
          Twitter

Comment

Beat me to it. Big Finish's stuff is cool. Esp love Zelenka's one, Zero Point. Some of the others are a bit out-there at times but they're really fun. And...of course, there is that unthinkable thing of re-reading....!!!

Nah, I just re-read the old ones if the wait is getting to me. They're all good and there's almost 25 of them. I brought my first SG novel (Sacrifice Moon) from Play. But I normally buy direct from Fandy whenever they confirm that a new novel is out. I just still around here for news from the writers or whatever is found on the net.

I like to support the publishers directly.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
              Well, if you're looking for new SGA stuff, there's six original stories right here - http://www.bigfinish.com/Stargate-SG-1-and-Atlantis

Just sayin'...
              Sorry I looked where are the new ones I have all the news on pre order an have had since the begining of this year but they keep getting the release dates pushed back an back an now thats March 2010. Thats what we are moaning about. An if you check Stargate Novels home page even they say all the new ones are still pending.

So my gripe stands that the "new" ones havent been released yet an still keep getting pushed back. An I cant get my "new" fix of SGA
              Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Just sayin'...

I have those. But they aren't the novels we were discussing.

My fav audio books, though, are Zero Point and Perchance To Dream. Love how those are read!

Comment

Anyone know where I can find 'Halycon' and 'The Chosen' without paying an arm, a leg or first born child for them? I have all the others and the rest on order. But those two are so elusive. I love SGA but I can't justify spending a $100 on a paperback. *sigh*
                  Member of The Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                  Sigs by Csom, Luci and Pip2

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieb View Post
                    Anyone know where I can find 'Halycon' and 'The Chosen' without paying an arm, a leg or first born child for them? I have all the others and the rest on order. But those two are so elusive. I love SGA but I can't justify spending a $100 on a paperback. *sigh*
                    Someone posted one page back on what to do to get them. Here is the link to their post
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....1&postcount=75
                    Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by gottaluvit View Post
                      I have those. But they aren't the novels we were discussing.
                      My point was, Atlantis Rocks said...

the books are my only way to get a SGA fix
                      ...and I was just noting that actually, no it isn't. There are many new original SGA audio dramas that are (if you'll pardon my bias) worth your time and money.

Okay, OT maybe, as this is a "novels" thread, but I'm just trying to raise awareness of the audios as well as the books.

And while I'm here: regarding delays in release dates. Please understand that Fandemonium is a very small company with a long and complex approval process to go through at every stage of production, and delays are often unavoidable.

Out Now:
                      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      Twitter

Comment

My point was, Atlantis Rocks said...

...and I was just noting that actually, no it isn't. There are many new original SGA audio dramas that are (if you'll pardon my bias) worth your time and money.

Okay, OT maybe, as this is a "novels" thread, but I'm just trying to raise awareness of the audios as well as the books.

And while I'm here: regarding delays in release dates. Please understand that Fandemonium is a very small company with a long and complex approval process to go through at every stage of production, and delays are often unavoidable.
                        Ahh, yes. fair enough. I enjoy the audio books myself and when I'm really desperate for an Atlantis fix I'll even wander over to read some fan fiction (shhhh ) between novel releases.

I think I mentioned earlier on that I understand the delay's can't be helped. We're just anxious to get our hands on more novels ASAP.

In a way the delay has been good for me, I've started reading the SG1 novels and discovered I love them as much as the SGA ones (and I was never a great lover of SG1 as a show).

The Audio books appeal to a wider audience then the novels IMO. I listen to them at night to unwind, and all three of my kids love them. I also have my 12yr old sons (who has high functioning autism) MP3 player loaded with them and he listens to them over and over. It's a great way of distracting him when he's in a situation that makes him anxious like crowded shopping malls etc.

And of course, now we have the comic books as well to keep us hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                          Who cares? The quality of their books is worth the wait. Always.
                          I would agree if it was true. But for example "Nightfall" was so riddled with ridiculous mistakes that it felt like it didn't go through an approval system at all. The gate wormhole goes both ways? Really? Since when? The one-way street is the point of the whole series. And the Atlantis gate "rattles"? Since when? It's stationary and digital. Though I could chalk that one up to the "author's flair", that they missed the first thing is inexcusable. And as I said, I work in this branch of publishing industry so I'm not pulling big words out of my butt - especially since one part of my job is to keep terms/names/settings in series consistent.

I'm eternally grateful to Fandemonium for publishing these books, of that there's absolutely no doubt. But I am disappointed by the fact that they couldn't keep their publishing schedule if their lives depended on it
                          Last edited by katikatnik; 05 October 2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I have all the books except Nightfall and Do No Harm (which is currently on the way to me). So I have 23 out of the 25 novels. Of the lot, the only ones I count as being bad are City of the Gods and Entanglement. I count some as needing re-reads for clarification - Roswell, Mirror Mirror and Relativity.

The others are wonderful reads where the authors get the show, the characters and what the fans love. Especially the women writers. They're best attuned to the side of the fanbase that loves these novels, I think.

Now obviously I understand the concern with Nightfall. From what I've read on Amazon, there seems to be a few flaws with it which I do find a bit bewildering as James is on this forum and has quite a bit of SG literature beneath his belt so to miss something like that...

But that's what the Ask the Author's thread is for.

That said, having read the preview of the upcoming Dead End and the whole wormhole travel bit in that...I do see the concerns here. I hope the glaring inaccuracies are soon stomped out.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Mentioned it in the 'ask the authors' but Power Behind the Throne went to MGM today for approval - which I believe is a fairly slow process right now, but obviously the delay on it when it was 'Shadows' was ALL my fault and shouldn't be levelled at Fandy's door at all. Sometimes life gets in the way and no matter how much you wish it otherwise you're still prone to stupid stuff like illness, which knocked back my second pass on the manuscript by six months and basically killed the pub. schedule for the book. But it's done, I'm happy, Fandy are happy, and hopefully when it lands in your hands, you guys will be happy... so contrary to what I just read on amazon, nope, not been cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                                I have all the books except Nightfall and Do No Harm (which is currently on the way to me). So I have 23 out of the 25 novels. Of the lot, the only ones I count as being bad are City of the Gods and Entanglement. I count some as needing re-reads for clarification - Roswell, Mirror Mirror and Relativity.

The others are wonderful reads where the authors get the show, the characters and what the fans love. Especially the women writers. They're best attuned to the side of the fanbase that loves these novels, I think.
                                I agree about the female writers (I actually enjoyed Entanglement quite a lot)! I don't know, their books are somehow... better. They pay much more attention to detail. I mean, there was this mishap where McKay drooled over a lemon cake when he's allergic to citrus in the show and Sonny Whitelaw made Ronon immune to feeding which is utter nonsense. But the books pay much more attention to the character interaction and they are not full of scientific babble and/or problems that in some cases (like Nightfall) end up being totally wrong which makes them laughable.

Now obviously I understand the concern with Nightfall. From what I've read on Amazon, there seems to be a few flaws with it which I do find a bit bewildering as James is on this forum and has quite a bit of SG literature beneath his belt so to miss something like that...
                                I was one of the people who was quite harsh in their review. Nightfall was the only SG book that got 3 stars from me because it was barely readable in places like:

Spoiler:
                                Yet another kidnapped!Keller plotline - Keller shouldn't have been a part of this mission at all, she's Atlantis' CMO and she has no place on a recon mission to a possibly hostile planet. The Marines go and search for a space ship on foot. And the fact that Teyla was time and time again called "the warrior woman" was quite silly.

I freely admit that I had to force myself to finish it. I was very disappointed by that because I was quite looking forward to it after reading the synopsis

That said, having read the preview of the upcoming Dead End and the whole wormhole travel bit in that...I do see the concerns here. I hope the glaring inaccuracies are soon stomped out.
                                Please, please tell me that they won't screw up the whole gate wormhole again! Please. After reading about the two-way-street gate in Nightfall, I wrote to Mark over at Fandemonium and made him aware of the fact that in relation to the show, it's utter nonsense. Please, tell me that they actually paid attention to it this time?

Comment

Working...
                                X