Page 1 of 77 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stargate Novels

Default Stargate Novels

I've been kicking the idea around of reading some stargate books and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be worth it (I know, loaded question). Do any of these book delve any deeper in the Ancients?

Thanks

Chief Master Sergeant carrollwoman's Avatar

Default Re: Stargate Books

Well worth it - I have been a fan of stargate from the beginning but only recently started reading the books and I wished I had started earlier - otherwise your missing out. So far I have read SG-1 'Siren Song', 'Roswell', 'Hydra' and Atlantis 'Reliquary' - All of which were very good. I thought 'Roswell' was the best. Reliquary involves the ancients from Atlantis.

These are the first books I have ever completed reading. Also fills in if you miss watching SG-1.

Some of the books are now out of print and hard/expensive to buy - i'm missing one and it just sold on ebay for £62! Worth getting the ones in print now.

Anyone have a copy of Stargate Atlantis 'Halcyon' that they want to part with?

Worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by carrollwoman View Post
    Anyone have a copy of Stargate Atlantis 'Halcyon' that they want to part with?

Worth a try!
    Can I second that? I finally managed to get my hands on Exogenesis but Halcyon - no chance. Just like Siren Song

Books that are excellent... Hm, I'm more of a SGA fan so from the SG-1 bunch, I can rec you only "Sacrifice Moon" by Julie Fortune (that's the only one that I've read so far).

In the SGA fandom - the early books written by female authors. But stay away from James Swallow's "Nightfall". That one was painful to read - OOC behavior and terrible mistakes - and I was glad that I wasn't the only one thinking so after reading the Amazon reviews.

Unfortunately, the new SGA one - "Brimstone" - was moved back to December. I hope that at least "The Internal Darkness" and "Dead End" will be published according to the schedule. And the SG-1 books... They keep pushing back both "Shadows" and "Valhalla" so...

Uh, yes, I'm kind of a huge fan of tie-ins

I have read a number of books for both and do enjoy them as well. I have missed out on some of the early books but look at EBay and Craigslist as well as the used book stores in hopes of finding them. I can't even find them in a library.

With that said, I enjoy both series but don't know if they will delve into the Anceints like you probably want. They are more of a background story line in the Atlantis books than the SG-1 books. In regards to SG-1, Barque of Heaven is hands down the best one that I have read. I would also highly recommend Roswall, Hydra, City of the Gods, and Do No Harm. I enjoyed them all. In regards to Atlantis, I enjoyed for the most part Nightfall, which many seem to slam. It had its moments of not so good but overall, I enjoyed it. Maybe I look at books differently than most on here. (And that is not meant as an insult than anyone, i just read about a book a week and sometimes over look stuff) I also enjoyed Blood Ties as it is sort of a cross over, Angelus is not bad, Mirror, Mirror is fun but can be confusing to follow for a bit, Casualties of War, and Entanglement.

I would recommend them though and just enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by katikatnik View Post
    Can I second that? I finally managed to get my hands on Exogenesis but Halcyon - no chance. Just like Siren Song
    I have books 1 to 10 (plus 2 specials from SG1. Including Siren Song). Plus books 1 to 6 (of Atlantis. Including Halcyon). Reading other books right now. But plan a Stargate read-a-thon in the near future. So will need those books, sorry. Once I read the ones I have, I will collect the missing books from each series, since both have been expanded.

Probie

I am a recent member to gateworld even though I have been visiting the site for awhile for all my stargate news and updates. I have been a fan of stargate since I first watched the first episode of SGA, However I am also an avid reader and since I got to be a fan of stargate when i found they put books out I have been picking them up as well. I have SG1 1-13 and SGA 1-11. I even have the 10 stargate books before fandemonium picked them up. They have been hard to find as not all the bookstores carry them and more often than not, I have to order them. I have not read them all yet, but the ones that I read are really good. The authors seem to know the charecters and even get the nuances right. I highly recomend them, but I would have to say my favorites so far.... have been matter of honor and cost of honor

Probie

I would recomend all the stargate books that I have read so far. Some are better than others. But I have enjoyed them all

Maybe if we could get enough support we could get Fandemonium to re-print the hard to find novels that are now out of print. Surely if there is a high enough demand they would do so! Anyone know how to do that?

Second Lieutenant Mis.Understood's Avatar
    Highridge, Bristol, England, UK, Europe, The World

I've just read The Barque of Heaven. Really enjoyed it and am now reading Relativity.

Really would like to read Do No Harm.

I Believe
    My FanFiction

Quote Originally Posted by carrollwoman View Post
    Maybe if we could get enough support we could get Fandemonium to re-print the hard to find novels that are now out of print. Surely if there is a high enough demand they would do so! Anyone know how to do that?
    I asked Mark over at Fandemonium and he said that they didn't plan a reprint but they wanted to explore other possibilities. So far, they made most of the books available for Kindle - unfortunately, I don't have a Kindle, that's just a way too expensive toy. I would very much prefer a paperback

Through The Chapa'ai's To Travel This Galaxy.

I don't like to read and I love 'em. I say they're worth it.
    Although it was a little confusing on the order of books to start because there's a couple of writers.
    O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

I found a pile of Stargate Sg-1 books in a charity shop - including Siren Song and Survival of the fittest!!! Wooo Hooo!!!!! Sadly didn't have Halcyon though

Sorry but I had to share my joy with someone! I've put the ones I had already got on ebay if anyone is interested in buying them!

Bugs' Carrot Keeper leeman15251's Avatar

there are some of the stargate books on for the amazon kindle.

I've read most of the SG-1 books, but only one of the SGA books. I'm assuming that the SGA books would be more focused on the Ancients - they are based in their city after all. As for the SG-1 books, my personal favourites have been:
    • Relativity by James Swallow
    • Matter of Honor Sally Macolm
    • Cost of Honor by Sonny Whitelaw
    • Barque of Heaven by Suzanne Wood
    • Roswell by Sonny Whitelaw & Jennifer Fallon

I'm currently reading Do No Harm by Karen Miller, which is turning out to be another cracker. I love the stories that combine character back stories or personal issues with a good rollicking adventure/mystery and several of these books are examples of this.

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in as they jump from season to season. The exception, of course, being stories that continue over several books (like the Honor books).

Smile Stargate Literature

I've seen ads for Stargate books. Does anyone read these? Are they any good? Where does one purchase such books?

Default Re: Stargate Literature

They are good and interesting, sure their not cannon but they are a good read
    Also I have picked mine up at chapters in the sci-fi section
    This isn't Atlantis?
    I don't think so.
    If this is not the Lost City…then where is it?

SGU= Awesome Eli is so me =P

Quote Originally Posted by sparkle View Post
    I've seen ads for Stargate books. Does anyone read these? Are they any good? Where does one purchase such books?
    A devotee here I'm mostly in it for the SGA books - I own all but Halcyon, which is impossible to get - and they are excellent. All but Swallow's "Nightfall", that one is just too bad for words. In the SG-1 series of books, I own all but so far, I've read only Julie Fortune's "Sacrifice Moon" and that was amazing (Julie Fortune is a nick of Rachel Caine who writes the "Weather Warden" urban fantasy so she's no no-name).

I also buy the audiobooks and they are really good, too. Rather short - approximately 70 mins. long - but great nonetheless I especially liked Michael Shanks reading "Gift of the Gods" and Kavan Smith reading "Impressions". They both have great voices!

And I buy them all from Amazon.

They're brilliant. Not many are of poor quality. So far the only novels I haven't really enjoyed at City of the Gods and Entanglement. Mirror, Mirror, I could do with another re-read of as I didn't entirely get it. And I've continually heard bad things about Nightfall unfortunately - which is weird since all James' other stuff has been amazing.

But the other 20 or so novels are absolutely wonderful. I continually re-read them and they continue to give me my SG fix. I hope to eventually see some original novels set in the SG universe.

And the audio novels, same goes for them. They're brilliant. If not a little extra-scifiy. It's wonderful to hear the voices of the actors reading new adventures. I always eagerly await the new books.

In other words, buy 'em all.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon