Page 1 of 64 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stargate Novels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stargate Novels

I've been kicking the idea around of reading some stargate books and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be worth it (I know, loaded question). Do any of these book delve any deeper in the Ancients?

Thanks

Chief Master Sergeant carrollwoman's Avatar

Default Re: Stargate Books

Well worth it - I have been a fan of stargate from the beginning but only recently started reading the books and I wished I had started earlier - otherwise your missing out. So far I have read SG-1 'Siren Song', 'Roswell', 'Hydra' and Atlantis 'Reliquary' - All of which were very good. I thought 'Roswell' was the best. Reliquary involves the ancients from Atlantis.

These are the first books I have ever completed reading. Also fills in if you miss watching SG-1.

Some of the books are now out of print and hard/expensive to buy - i'm missing one and it just sold on ebay for £62! Worth getting the ones in print now.

Anyone have a copy of Stargate Atlantis 'Halcyon' that they want to part with?

Worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by carrollwoman View Post
    Anyone have a copy of Stargate Atlantis 'Halcyon' that they want to part with?

Worth a try!
    Can I second that? I finally managed to get my hands on Exogenesis but Halcyon - no chance. Just like Siren Song

Quote Originally Posted by katikatnik View Post
    Can I second that? I finally managed to get my hands on Exogenesis but Halcyon - no chance. Just like Siren Song
    I have books 1 to 10 (plus 2 specials from SG1. Including Siren Song). Plus books 1 to 6 (of Atlantis. Including Halcyon). Reading other books right now. But plan a Stargate read-a-thon in the near future. So will need those books, sorry. Once I read the ones I have, I will collect the missing books from each series, since both have been expanded.

Books that are excellent... Hm, I'm more of a SGA fan so from the SG-1 bunch, I can rec you only "Sacrifice Moon" by Julie Fortune (that's the only one that I've read so far).

In the SGA fandom - the early books written by female authors. But stay away from James Swallow's "Nightfall". That one was painful to read - OOC behavior and terrible mistakes - and I was glad that I wasn't the only one thinking so after reading the Amazon reviews.

Unfortunately, the new SGA one - "Brimstone" - was moved back to December. I hope that at least "The Internal Darkness" and "Dead End" will be published according to the schedule. And the SG-1 books... They keep pushing back both "Shadows" and "Valhalla" so...

Uh, yes, I'm kind of a huge fan of tie-ins

Staff Sergeant

But stay away from James Swallow's "Nightfall". That one was painful to read - OOC behavior and terrible mistakes - and I was glad that I wasn't the only one thinking so after reading the Amazon reviews.
    What was wrong with nightfall? Don't you like the asgard

Lieutenant Colonel Samantha.Majka's Avatar

I agree. The current title is a bit of a mouthful. I prefer short titles, one or two words, those have a bigger impact.
    I prefer short names of books too, but sometimes you have to explain a content of the book and you need more words then 2. I see that when I write FanFiction .. and I have to find a name for it.
    Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
    / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    What was wrong with nightfall? Don't you like the asgard
    What was wrong with it? Okay, I'll post the review I posted to Amazon and GoodReads:

Spoiler:
    It's really hard for me to somehow rate this book. You see, on the one hand, it was really good - the plot was quite intriguing and well plotted - on the other hand, quite often I asked myself if the author had even seen SGA. Why? Well...

a) He got some of the most basic SG "hard facts" wrong - according to him, the 'gate wormhole goes both ways!
    b) The characterization. Oh, boy. Teyla kept snapping/barking/snarling. Rodney either whined or he was painfully meek, his acerbic - and intelligent - humor was completely absent etc. etc.
    c) The author moved the plot forward through completely illogical decisions on the part of the main characters. Example? Carter forced Sheppard to take Keller, an untrained doctor who refused to even accept a gun, with his team - on a recon mission to a possibly hostile planet! When Teyla and Ronon were kidnapped in a space ship, Sheppard and the Marines went searching for them - on foot!
    d) The author's style... If I hear "the Athosian woman" or "the warrior woman" or "the P-90 submachine gun" or "the submachine gun" again, I will scream!

I think that Swallow would benefit from either having a co-author or a better editor.

To sum it up? My least favorite SGA book so far. I won't be re-reading it any time soon, that's for sure.

And that was just a few points that really, really irked me. Like, really. The average fanfic is better.

Second Lieutenant

Joe Graham has posted the prologue to SGA: Legacy here- http://jo-graham.livejournal.com/73616.html?#cutid1

It's the entire prologue to the book so of course there be spoilers

Definitely can't wait now!

What was wrong with it? Okay, I'll post the review I posted to Amazon and GoodReads:

Spoiler:
    It's really hard for me to somehow rate this book. You see, on the one hand, it was really good - the plot was quite intriguing and well plotted - on the other hand, quite often I asked myself if the author had even seen SGA. Why? Well...

a) He got some of the most basic SG "hard facts" wrong - according to him, the 'gate wormhole goes both ways!
    b) The characterization. Oh, boy. Teyla kept snapping/barking/snarling. Rodney either whined or he was painfully meek, his acerbic - and intelligent - humor was completely absent etc. etc.
    c) The author moved the plot forward through completely illogical decisions on the part of the main characters. Example? Carter forced Sheppard to take Keller, an untrained doctor who refused to even accept a gun, with his team - on a recon mission to a possibly hostile planet! When Teyla and Ronon were kidnapped in a space ship, Sheppard and the Marines went searching for them - on foot!
    d) The author's style... If I hear "the Athosian woman" or "the warrior woman" or "the P-90 submachine gun" or "the submachine gun" again, I will scream!

I think that Swallow would benefit from either having a co-author or a better editor.

To sum it up? My least favorite SGA book so far. I won't be re-reading it any time soon, that's for sure.

And that was just a few points that really, really irked me. Like, really. The average fanfic is better.
    I have to say I agreed with this review. I had a really hard time with this book. I loved the author's SG-1 relativity book, thought it was great. But Nightfall just didn't do it for me. For some of the same reasons but mostly I just found it hard to follow, and somewhat dull. But then not everyone will love all the books.

I have read a number of books for both and do enjoy them as well. I have missed out on some of the early books but look at EBay and Craigslist as well as the used book stores in hopes of finding them. I can't even find them in a library.

With that said, I enjoy both series but don't know if they will delve into the Anceints like you probably want. They are more of a background story line in the Atlantis books than the SG-1 books. In regards to SG-1, Barque of Heaven is hands down the best one that I have read. I would also highly recommend Roswall, Hydra, City of the Gods, and Do No Harm. I enjoyed them all. In regards to Atlantis, I enjoyed for the most part Nightfall, which many seem to slam. It had its moments of not so good but overall, I enjoyed it. Maybe I look at books differently than most on here. (And that is not meant as an insult than anyone, i just read about a book a week and sometimes over look stuff) I also enjoyed Blood Ties as it is sort of a cross over, Angelus is not bad, Mirror, Mirror is fun but can be confusing to follow for a bit, Casualties of War, and Entanglement.

I would recommend them though and just enjoy!

Probie

I am a recent member to gateworld even though I have been visiting the site for awhile for all my stargate news and updates. I have been a fan of stargate since I first watched the first episode of SGA, However I am also an avid reader and since I got to be a fan of stargate when i found they put books out I have been picking them up as well. I have SG1 1-13 and SGA 1-11. I even have the 10 stargate books before fandemonium picked them up. They have been hard to find as not all the bookstores carry them and more often than not, I have to order them. I have not read them all yet, but the ones that I read are really good. The authors seem to know the charecters and even get the nuances right. I highly recomend them, but I would have to say my favorites so far.... have been matter of honor and cost of honor

Probie

I would recomend all the stargate books that I have read so far. Some are better than others. But I have enjoyed them all

Maybe if we could get enough support we could get Fandemonium to re-print the hard to find novels that are now out of print. Surely if there is a high enough demand they would do so! Anyone know how to do that?

Second Lieutenant Mis.Understood's Avatar
    Highridge, Bristol, England, UK, Europe, The World

I've just read The Barque of Heaven. Really enjoyed it and am now reading Relativity.

Really would like to read Do No Harm.

I Believe
    My FanFiction

Quote Originally Posted by carrollwoman View Post
    Maybe if we could get enough support we could get Fandemonium to re-print the hard to find novels that are now out of print. Surely if there is a high enough demand they would do so! Anyone know how to do that?
    I asked Mark over at Fandemonium and he said that they didn't plan a reprint but they wanted to explore other possibilities. So far, they made most of the books available for Kindle - unfortunately, I don't have a Kindle, that's just a way too expensive toy. I would very much prefer a paperback

Through The Chapa'ai's To Travel This Galaxy.

I don't like to read and I love 'em. I say they're worth it.
    Although it was a little confusing on the order of books to start because there's a couple of writers.
    O'Neill: "Ah. Trees, trees and more trees! What a wonderfully green universe we live in, eh."

Season 3 Episode 8 - Demons

I found a pile of Stargate Sg-1 books in a charity shop - including Siren Song and Survival of the fittest!!! Wooo Hooo!!!!! Sadly didn't have Halcyon though

Sorry but I had to share my joy with someone! I've put the ones I had already got on ebay if anyone is interested in buying them!

Probie

I asked Mark over at Fandemonium and he said that they didn't plan a reprint but they wanted to explore other possibilities. So far, they made most of the books available for Kindle - unfortunately, I don't have a Kindle, that's just a way too expensive toy. I would very much prefer a paperback
    You don't need to buy Kindle itself, you can download it for free for mac or pc or your mobile from amazon and then buy the books for approx. 6$ each. still havn't read any though.. just downloaded them so i cnt wait!!! yay!