Pegasus gate in the milky way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pegasus gate in the milky way

is it possible for the atlantis gate work with the milky way glyphs despite the 3 less symbols in the pegasus galaxies????
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

If I understand anything about how the gates work, which are fictional, so I might as well pretend that I do, you would be able to use a Pegasus gate brought to Milky Way to dial into a Milky Way gate. However, you would still be using Pegasus constellations for the address, all of which are awfully far away from Milky Way, and best I can tell, the further you are away from constellations the worse is precision of dialing. Most likely, only one Pegasus-based address in Milky Way galaxy will be available, and it is anyone's guess which gate it'd end up connecting to.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by pjp View Post
      is it possible for the atlantis gate work with the milky way glyphs despite the 3 less symbols in the pegasus galaxies????
      I don't believe the symbols have functional meaning to the gates. I think they are asthetic only. The symbols on the Pegasus stargates can also be labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, etc and would correspond to the Milky Way gate's numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

I wasn't aware that the Pegasus gates had less than 39 symbols. I just checked a picture and you are correct. There are 36.

Now, bad news. Writers and prop guys screwed up. Now, good news, some of their mistake makes sense.

Pegasus network was built after the regular network. It was built after the plague, and it can be assumed that it was to be a self-contained network. It was also said to be a dwarf galaxy, so less star systems to choose from. If they only put 36 symbols on their gates, it can be said they didn't need 3 more digits to make up adequate addresses. Problem solved.

Now, can these gates work with other, non-Pegasus gates? Their interface wasn't designed to, but their function should be identical to other gates.

My meaning is this. If MW gates could dial digits 1-9 and Pegasus could dial 1-8, then some addresses would be impossible to dial from a Pegasus gate. Hook up a revised DHD(with the additional digit) and the gate itself should still function normally and dial the '9' for an address that the Pegasus DHD's weren't designed to dial. Since the Pegasus gate symbols are digital, there might be other combinations that be displayed, but even if they don't, I can't see the inner workings of the Pegasus stargates as any different than the MW gates. The difference must be in the DHD and the user interfaces.

So the answer to your question is, yes, if you had sufficient Ancient knowledge to modify the DHD or bypass it with the correct dialing coordinates.
      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
        I don't believe the symbols have functional meaning to the gates. I think they are asthetic only. The symbols on the Pegasus stargates can also be labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, etc and would correspond to the Milky Way gate's numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
        Even though the idea of the science behind the stargate is a bit flawed, I think it's incorrect to say that the symbols have no meaning, or that they're even interchangeable.

The symbols themselves (remember, I didn't say it was perfect) are used to determine a point in 3D space. Presumably, these symbols are then mathematical macros that, once encoded, provide the stargate with the information it needs to send a wormhole out to be intercepted by another gate.

Each symbol is distinct, so I don't think it's right to say they don't matter.

My meaning is this. If MW gates could dial digits 1-9 and Pegasus could dial 1-8, then some addresses would be impossible to dial from a Pegasus gate. Hook up a revised DHD(with the additional digit) and the gate itself should still function normally and dial the '9' for an address that the Pegasus DHD's weren't designed to dial. Since the Pegasus gate symbols are digital, there might be other combinations that be displayed, but even if they don't, I can't see the inner workings of the Pegasus stargates as any different than the MW gates. The difference must be in the DHD and the user interfaces.
        I think I may get what you mean though. Maybe you meant to say that, as long as you could feed the spatial information in some other way, then the glyphs and chevrons wouldn't be necessary? I can understand what you mean in this case.

This would also explain why the symbols differ as, obviously, constellations change depending on your vantage point in space. Hell, they even change from our own vantage point (i.e. 30,000 years ago, the constellations on Earth were not the same).

Another real-life discrepancy perhaps?

So the answer to your question is, yes, if you had sufficient Ancient knowledge to modify the DHD or bypass it with the correct dialing coordinates.
        I agree with this.
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
          Even though the idea of the science behind the stargate is a bit flawed, I think it's incorrect to say that the symbols have no meaning, or that they're even interchangeable.

The symbols themselves (remember, I didn't say it was perfect) are used to determine a point in 3D space. Presumably, these symbols are then mathematical macros that, once encoded, provide the stargate with the information it needs to send a wormhole out to be intercepted by another gate.

Each symbol is distinct, so I don't think it's right to say they don't matter.

I think I may get what you mean though. Maybe you meant to say that, as long as you could feed the spatial information in some other way, then the glyphs and chevrons wouldn't be necessary? I can understand what you mean in this case.

This would also explain why the symbols differ as, obviously, constellations change depending on your vantage point in space. Hell, they even change from our own vantage point (i.e. 30,000 years ago, the constellations on Earth were not the same).

Another real-life discrepancy perhaps?

I agree with this.
          Actually, I think Daniel Jackson's initial explanation of how the gate works might have been flawed. The constellations only make sense from Earth and Abydos(both are essentially in the same place). Anywhere else they mean nothing. I think the Ancients designed the gate network when living on earth, and they used the constellations as seen from Earth for the ascethic affect and not the actual function.

First of all, why would a point of origin be needed in Jackson's explanation? You are already there, so your stargate would just connect to the region outlined by the six symbols. Functionally there is no reason for a POO...unless Jackson's theory is made up of his limited perspective and no prior knowledge of the gate network and the actual function is more ambiguous.

Learning of the 8th 'area code' chevron kind of debunks Jackson's theory of the six points surrounding the target location. Also take into account, that the constellations aren't in the same place. Their constituent stars are often far, far apart from each other and only look to be in the same place from Earth's perspective.

Again, I think the symbols=constellations are asthetic only and Jackson formulated an incorrect hypothesis that actually worked well enough for them to get their feet wet in the gate network.
          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
            Actually, I think Daniel Jackson's initial explanation of how the gate works might have been flawed. The constellations only make sense from Earth and Abydos(both are essentially in the same place). Anywhere else they mean nothing. I think the Ancients designed the gate network when living on earth, and they used the constellations as seen from Earth for the ascethic affect and not the actual function.
            But why would the Ancients do something like this? Nothing in canon points to this. We're supposed to believe that even Sam didn't recognize such discrepancies, but we do? I think this is just something we have to suspend our disbelief for.

I agree (as I said in my other post) that the science behind it is flawed, but it seems a big jump to then say that the symbols serve absolutely no purpose. Why would the gate even dial then? It seems an easier system could have been come up with.

First of all, why would a point of origin be needed in Jackson's explanation? You are already there, so your stargate would just connect to the region outlined by the six symbols. Functionally there is no reason for a POO...unless Jackson's theory is made up of his limited perspective and no prior knowledge of the gate network and the actual function is more ambiguous.
            Maybe think of it like this: If you're typing in a chat room or something, you can type the message you want to get across, but nothing happens until you hit "enter". Maybe it functions as some sort of initiation function? Your guess is as good as mine, but, again, it seems a stretch to suddenly assume these things serve no purpose.

Learning of the 8th 'area code' chevron kind of debunks Jackson's theory of the six points surrounding the target location. Also take into account, that the constellations aren't in the same place. Their constituent stars are often far, far apart from each other and only look to be in the same place from Earth's perspective.
            I mentioned stellar drift in my original post, so it's not as if I didn't take it into account already. Of course there are problems with the science (it's science fiction after all).

Again, I think the symbols=constellations are asthetic only and Jackson formulated an incorrect hypothesis that actually worked well enough for them to get their feet wet in the gate network.
            A possibility, but I guarantee that it's simply a product of the writers not originally taking all of the science into account. It's likely just something we have to live with, rather than rewriting all of the years of canon we've been given. There's a certain suspension of disbelief required for sci fi.
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

POO is just a "signature" sent to remote gate during connection to identify gate from which connection is established. If you manage to build your own gate, you can send whatever signature you want.

8th chevron has to work differently from the main 6. That doesn't mean, however, that the 6 chevrons can't refer to specific objects in the constellations corresponding to glyphs. In the simulation I wrote, I used the brightest star of each constellation as it would be an obvious choice.

Simulation derives unique destination from the 6 glyphs supplied in a way that is consistent with almost everything stated on the show. I'm making other conclusions based on that.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                Simulation derives unique destination from the 6 glyphs supplied in a way that is consistent with almost everything stated on the show. I'm making other conclusions based on that.
                A...simulation? That sounds very cool...any chance I could see this?
                Sig by Pandora's Box
                sigpic

Comment

And another thing...
                  why, when atlantis is on earth, does the earth's gate still work because the pegasus gate system superseeds the MW network???
                  SG-1 members
                  Atlantis Team members

Comment

And another thing...
                    why, when atlantis is on earth, does the earth's gate still work because the pegasus gate system superseeds the MW network???
                    This is more for my own knowledge. Where in the show was this shown to happen? I don't remember seeing it in EatG.
                    Sig by Pandora's Box
                    sigpic

Comment

A...simulation? That sounds very cool...any chance I could see this?
                      Link is in my signature.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                        Link is in my signature.
                        Cool, cool. I'm at work, so I can't download it here. I will probably do it when I get home though.
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Good news! This question has been answered in the finale of Atlantis. A Pegasus gate can work on the MW network, but it requires modification to the DHD. And not a hard mod either as it can be done in 5 mins or less.
                          "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
                          "Those who abandon the path are evil."
                          "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

This is more for my own knowledge. Where in the show was this shown to happen? I don't remember seeing it in EatG.
                            the ZPM powered hive had a pegasus gate onboard & the SGC gate couldnt be used because of it.
                            SG-1 members
                            Atlantis Team members

Comment

the ZPM powered hive had a pegasus gate onboard & the SGC gate couldnt be used because of it.
                              Doesn't this go against what you originally said though?

Here's what you said:

Isn't it the case, then, that the Pegasus gate was taking precedence?
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X