• Show
Clear All

SyFy and Stargate Atlantis

This is an article on the SyFy 'branding'. Relative excerpt quoted:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...d_Strategy.php

Syfy's Two-Pronged Rebrand Strategy
    Plans big marketing push; buys up negative domain names

By Marisa Guthrie -- Broadcasting & Cable, 6/22/2009 12:00:00 AM MT

NBC Universal's Sci Fi is giving away the Internet to promote its July 7 rebrand to Syfy, but is also taking away a few choice domain names in the process. The cable outfit will promote its rebrand with a flurry of marketing initiatives, including giveaways of free wireless access at various locales in New York City (dubbed WyFy From Syfy, of course).

Sci Fi executives, however, know there are still detractors in the network's legendarily passionate demo. So they took pre-emptive measures, snapping up several negative domain names including SyfySucks.com. Some still got through the cracks, such as NoSyfy.com. That site inveighs against the network's “wrestling and ghost hunting” programs and conveniently supplies Howe's office phone and e-mail address.

Nevertheless, Howe says, “I haven't had an e-mail for two months despite the fact that my name is very prominent in chat rooms and on message boards. When we cancelled Stargate Atlantis, I had upward of 150 e-mails a day for six months. So the fact that I've had fewer than 20 e-mails in four months says to me that people really do understand why we're doing this.”

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Hey what's this guy's e-mail? I got a few things to say.

Comment

<sarcasm level="very high">Sure, buy up domain names to restrict dissent and hamper your critics. That's sure the way to win me over. </ sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
        Hey what's this guy's e-mail? I got a few things to say.
        As far as I know this is current:
        Dave Howe, President
        NBC Universal | Sci-Fi Channel
        30 Rockefeller Plaza 21st Plaza
        New York, NY 10112
        Email: [email protected]
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          As far as I know this is current:
          Dave Howe, President
          NBC Universal | Sci-Fi Channel
          30 Rockefeller Plaza 21st Plaza
          New York, NY 10112
          Thanks for this. Message sent.
          sigpic

Comment

It does seem they are putting their effort in censoring peoples opinions rather than decent programming, and a name that isn't stupid.
            Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeRocks View Post
              Thanks for this. Message sent.
              Same here, writing the e-mail as I type this.

Comment

If this weren't so grossly stupid, it'd be funny! Where do these people get their marketing strategies, from the Iranian government, or maybe the Chinese? Stiflling dissent is hardly the way to win friends and influence people, at least in a positive way! Obviously, they learned absolutely nothing from the firestorm of bad "press", particularly online, that followed the gross mishandling of the cancellation of Atlantis and the announcement of the greenlighting of SGU.

It's too darned bad that [mod snip] Howe didn't have 1,000 angry e-mails per day for a full year! (I have an idea that someone was charged with putting the addresses from each negative e-mail into a "blocked" folder, thus that the tsunami of repeated e-mails from those of us who were livid about the cancellation of Atlantis could be avoided). If this guy is in charge of the new "SyFy" I sincerely fear that new name or no, it won't last very long!
                Last edited by Darren; 25 June 2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Well, the June 29th issue of TV GUIDE (on newsstands in a day or so) has an article on page 14.

WHY SYFY?
                  by Ileane Rudolph

Stargate Universe is mentioned very briefly, along with a photo of Lou Diamond Phillips.

Quote:
                  Howe vows not to neglect the science fiction audience. "Battlestar is still our brand strategy. It's set in space, but there are no aliens or technobabble." That's a smart decision. BSG, alon gwith another character-driven series, EUREKA, and paranormal reality show GHOST HUNTERS, were last seasons ratings winners. Bolstering his case: Upcoming series BATTLESTAR and STARGATE spinoffs, CAPRICA and STARGATE UNIVERSE, and debuting July 7, supernatural adventure WAREHOUSE 13 (reviewed on page 24).

Rest in the magazine, and perhaps in a few days, at www.tvguidemagazine.com

Comment

*rolls eyes at the rhetoric and "rah rah Cheer us on!" attitude and refrains from sending an email telling them that since they canceled SGA, there's NOTHING on scifi (soon to be known as syfy) that interests me whatsoever*
                    sigpic
                    My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

i'm the same way, i watch it long enough to watch the shows i want to see...which right now means i'm just taping moonlight

as opposed to discovery or history channel, which i'll often turn over to just to see what's on

I don't do that with skiffy cause, well i dont' like wrestling, don't do ghosts and have a low tolerance for crappy b movie of hte week
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'll watch SyFy when The Flan's episode of 'Warehouse 13' is on. Other than that I plan to ignore it. There's nothing else on there I want to see anyway.
                        Member of The Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                        Sigs by Csom, Luci and Pip2

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieb View Post
                          I'll watch SyFy when The Flan's episode of 'Warehouse 13' is on. Other than that I plan to ignore it. There's nothing else on there I want to see anyway.
                          That was my plan too!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            as opposed to discovery or history channel, which i'll often turn over to just to see what's on
                            Oh hell yeah! I could watch those channels all day long. Unfortunately (fortunately for my productivity) I don't have cable.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              It's set in space, but there are no aliens or technobabble.
                              Can it really be called "science fiction" then? Sounds like they want to remove both the "science" and "fiction" aspects. Isn't changing the name of the channel, along with removing the things that are traditionally seen as important parts of a sci-fi story, at least in part "neglecting the science fiction audience"? It feels like they're trying too hard to please everyone, and instead will end up alienating people from both "sides", those who love scifi and want it to be true "science fiction" and those who prefer realistic present day Earth stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X