This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

atlantis tech....?

does anyone else think that the technology of the atlantis city looks too different form the ancient technology we have seen in our galaxy, like the gate, ring transporters, that time machine thing form "window of oppertunity", the cities we have found of the ancients(that abviously aren't 50 million years old), and finaly the meeting place of the 4 races. it just seems to me like the set designers went juat a little too far with this one. it seems to seperate the too shows too much.

Having seen only the first half of Season 1 - SGA, I've had a limited view of Atlantis technology. But I will say this: Technology as advanced as the Ancient's technology is bound to look drastically different than what we've seen in SG-1. In fact, that's how I prefer it. If technologies look too similar, then you get the feeling that technologies are essentially being "photocopied." In other words, similar looking technologies seem to imply that technology is "developed", but simply copied from one race to another. By keeping technologies distinctly different, you get the impression that the technologies are indeed developed different by different races.

Variety is the spice of life!

Comment

1. The gates are likely quite old. Older than the city of atlantis. This explains why Atlantis's gate is much more advanced and different looking than the others (becuase it, and atlantis, were built after the original system)

2. The Ring transporters are Goa'uld tech as far as im aware. They copied it from the stargates i thought.

3. The meeting place was as u said, for 4 races, it was not nessacarily ancient. It wasnt a piece of technology either. It was somewhat of a religious place by the looks of it.

The other Ancient Outposts weve seen look similar to atlantis's technology, so its much the same. Alot is different which is possibly due to the fact that the Atlantean ancients were apart from the MW Ancients for quite some time and would have advanced more/differently.

Comment

I imagine that the extragalactic trip from Earth to Pegasus, even for the Ancients, took quite some time. I imagine that the Ancients put themselves into stasis during the trip. It could conceivably taken millions of years to make the journey, which would explain why they aren't more incomprehesibly advanced than us.

I never bought that the Ancient civilization is 5 million years old. In just one thousand years, we have developed amazing technology. Without the Dark Ages, the Tollan already seem as advanced or more than the Ancients. Imagine what we or the Tollans could do with 5 million years! That's why I think that the Ancients spent most of that 5 million years en route to Pegasus. It might not be canon, but it makes the most sence to me.

I'll develop this theory more completely and post again.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Model T Ford looks nothing like the Lamborghini Gallardo and they were only made 100 years apart.

Comment

"Lost City" and Atlantis
            Spoiler:
            We know the rings are Ancient technology, as they were present in the Ancient outpost in Antarctica. If you listen to the transporters in Atlantis, the sound effect is very similar to that of the rings, indicating a technology link.
            Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by john82410
              does anyone else think that the technology of the atlantis city looks too different form the ancient technology we have seen in our galaxy, like the gate, ring transporters, that time machine thing form "window of oppertunity", the cities we have found of the ancients(that abviously aren't 50 million years old), and finaly the meeting place of the 4 races. it just seems to me like the set designers went juat a little too far with this one. it seems to seperate the too shows too much.
              This can easly be explain IMO

Some spoilers

Spoiler:
              Well from what we have learnt so far the ancients left out Milky way and went to Pegasus galaxy few million years (can’t remember how many millions of years) so they resettled in Pegasus for what ever reason and started developing new tech that may explain why the stargates in Pegasus galaxy look more advanced then the stargates and the tech in MW, basically the tech was developed later on by the ancient
              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
                2. The Ring transporters are Goa'uld tech as far as im aware. They copied it from the stargates i thought.
                See Fallen/Homecoming and The Lost City for evidence that proves this wrong. We've seen rings in places where we know the goa'uld have never been.

Originally posted by Blend
                3. The meeting place was as u said, for 4 races, it was not nessacarily ancient. It wasnt a piece of technology either. It was somewhat of a religious place by the looks of it.
                Assuming you mean the place from the torment of tantalus, the book in the room appeared to be of Ancient design. It held a remarkably similar appearance to the DHD.

I never bought that the Ancient civilization is 5 million years old. In just one thousand years, we have developed amazing technology. Without the Dark Ages, the Tollan already seem as advanced or more than the Ancients. Imagine what we or the Tollans could do with 5 million years! That's why I think that the Ancients spent most of that 5 million years en route to Pegasus. It might not be canon, but it makes the most sence to me.
                That's good, since it's been stated that they are anywhere from 30 to 50 million years old. Not 5. They left for Pegasus approx. 3 million years ago.

Also, the outpost in Metamorphasis used some Ancient interior decorating. The design on the black metal grate things in the windows (Hexgons and 6 pointed stars) appears again in The lost city, in both outposts. For some reason, I can't make a screenshot on this DVD. Odd. The other seasons let me.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  That's good, since it's been stated that they are anywhere from 30 to 50 million years old. Not 5. They left for Pegasus approx. 3 million years ago.

I thought it was 5 million years ago when they left for pegasus I'm sure I have read that no few diffrent threads.

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Major Tyler > no, even the asgard can go from a galaxy to an another in a few hours ... so the ancient, with their powerfull ZPM won't take that long. perhaps double time [4-6hours] if you consider that pegasus is more far than the asgard one's. But you have to consider that the architecture change in time. just watch us, human, in 800years ! So there is no doubts that in thousands of years ... and the goauld ship changed too

So here's your answer
                    - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                    - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                    - The Nox

Comment

the technology probaly looks different on atlantis because it is purely ancient. for example, all the "ancient tech" we have seen on sg-1 could have been a combination of the tech of the 4 races (furlings,nox,asgard,ancient). for example we know that the nox can build gates. Also the only pure ancient place weve seen on sg-1 was the two outposts (one on earth the other on that fire planet i forget the name of) and those looked like atlantis.

Comment

when did the nox build a gate?

Comment

Spoiler:
                          when they helped the tollans move back to their home planet, sorry if i spoiled u

Comment

Originally posted by defina91rvc
                            the technology probaly looks different on atlantis because it is purely ancient. for example, all the "ancient tech" we have seen on sg-1 could have been a combination of the tech of the 4 races (furlings,nox,asgard,ancient). for example we know that the nox can build gates. Also the only pure ancient place weve seen on sg-1 was the two outposts (one on earth the other on that fire planet i forget the name of) and those looked like atlantis.

The Nox may understand the technology but they were not the original builders of the gate. Also the alliance was based on sharing of knowledge and also spreading peace in the galaxy.

Comment

i know that im just saying that

Spoiler:
                              the nox gate that they built looked different from all other gates

so we can infer that the reason that ancient tech differs so much in atlantis is because it is not infused with asgard/nox/furling/ tech

Comment

Working...
                              X