S5: Nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S5: Nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SGA

Welcome to the new S5: Nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SGA thread.

Did you enjoy Season 5 of SGA? Are you sad that it's gone? Are you just now watching S5 and really enjoying it? If so, this is the thread for you.

This thread is for OPEN DISCUSSION of season five of Atlantis. ALL opinions are welcome in this thread and they must follow some ground rules.

They must be respectful towards the show, its creators and others.

They must be on topic.

They must follow the ‘express and move on’ part of the CVS.
    This thread is for discussion, if you have no desire to discuss but only wish to vent the same opinion/statement over and over then please find somewhere else to do that.

Pejorative and discriminatory terms and statements are off topic. This includes things like ‘McIcky’ ‘McGagme’ and others. (Terms on the inappropriate list can change at any point in time at the discretion of the moderation team.)

Other fans, their feelings or discussions are OFF TOPIC. This thread is to discuss season five, not other fans. You want to whinge about, complain about, discuss or pick on other fans, you go somewhere else.

There will be no bashing of other fans, the show or its characters. Whether or not a post is ‘Bashing’ will be determined by the moderator on duty at the time.

This thread is for general discussion of season five. If you want to go into in depth discussion of one particular aspect of the season, please find the appropriate thread for that and do not derail this one with in depth discussion of a singular aspect of the show.

‘Off Topic’ will be enforced, and ‘off topic’ includes chit chat of a personal nature, fluff or anything else the moderator on duty deems as not being about season five.

If the moderators find that they have to spend a lot of time moderating this thread, because posters can't follow the rules set out, the thread will be closed and no new ones will be started.
    sigpic

I enjoyed the Daedalus Variations, The Shrine (minus Keller, and the last 30 seconds),The Queen, The Prodigal and Remnants.
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
      I enjoyed the Daedalus Variations, The Shrine (minus Keller, and the last 30 seconds),The Queen, The Prodigal and Remnants.
      My favorite episodes from Season 5 were Vegas and The Shrine (like you, minus the last 30 seconds).

I liked Search and Rescue, The Daedalus Variations, The Prodigal, Remnants and Infection quite a bit.

Outsiders, The Queen, GitM, Whispers, First Contact, Broken Ties, The Seed and EatG were watchable and each had some good moments but were not completely satisfying for a variety of reasons.

Won't say what I thought of the others on this thread.
      Last edited by Lythisrose; 19 June 2009, 10:05 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

My favourite episodes of season five are...

1. Search and Rescue
        2. Prodigal.
        3. Infection.
        4. Broken Ties.
        5. Daedalus Variations.
        6. The Queen
        7. First Contact

Others that had some good moments were

The Seed
        Vegas (Only for JF's amazing performance)
        Outsiders.
        Whispers.
        Remnants....

Most of the others I have erased from memory!!

Season five started off with such great potential.. a wonderful team episode showing the love and the amazing bond between the team.. all the ingrediants that made SGA great imo... but sadly other than some hit and miss moments the rest of the season failed to live up to Search and Rescue.

Broken Ties was a bit too similiar to Sateda but still an enjoyable episode and a wonderful performance by Jason Mamoa.

Daedalus Variations was a good romp but already the bond between the team was lacking... they didnt really act like a team who had been together for 5 years and this was the start of the Stepford wife syndrome that Teyla adapted for the rest of the season..

Infection was a solid entertaining episode with great moments between Todd and Shep and some great team moments..

The Queen was a good episode for Teyla.. such a shame that this didnt carry on into other episodes and it wasnt more developed. It would have been a far more interesting scenario for Teyla than bouncing the baby.

Prodigal was a fast paced and very entertaining episode.. loved Michael in the episode and my only complaint was that we didnt get more tough Teyla instead of her holding the baby through the entire episode... though the ending did a lot to make up for this..

First Contact was a solid start to the midseason finale...though I would have preferred to have seen less focus on Daniel Jackson.. the secrecy behind the identity of the aliens made for some great entertainment and the special effects were outstanding.... but the second part undid all the great buildup of part one...

So overall some very memorable episodes but too many that I would never want to watch again....
        sigpic

Comment

Season five started off well with 'Search & Rescue', but my fav episode of this season has to be 'Daedalus Variations'. This episode showed a good use of the team and that TPTB can write Teyla and Ronon in a way that they can contribute in a situation where they could be wallpapered, it was amusing seeing Ronon trying to explain the multi-verse theory to Teyla. Having Teyla work with McKay in engineering with a bit of back story that Major Marks had given her some training on the operating systems of the Daedalus was also a nice touch, Sheppard's comment to Ronon on the bridge was definitely one of the most amusing this season as well "Easy, Chewie! Those buttons are your friends!". The visual effects in 'Daedalus Variations' were cool and the concept of an alternate universe jumping starship made for a good episode (IMO).

'Search & Rescue' was an awesome season opener, the visual effects like the scene moving from the planet where Sheppard, Ronon, McKay and Lorne were on through space to Michael's wraith cruiser were great, between that and the space combat scenes between the Daedalus and Michael's cruiser I was surprised by the improvements in VFX for the show. Another thing I liked about this episode was that it brought Teyla back and the birth scene with McKay was hilarious.

The one episode that surprised me this season was 'Tracker', from the spoilers and speculation here on GateWorld I wasn't expecting much from it even though I wasn't concerned about the love-triangle. The development Jennifer received was fantastic (IMO) and showed good growth in contrast to how she handled herself in 'Missing'. Ronon also did well in this episode, it was refreshing to see him more applied to the story and I think that might have something to do with Sheppard not being there to take the lead as well as the tracking skills he had to contribute.

'First Contact' & 'The Lost Tribe' made a good mid-season two-part, it was an interesting story that brought Daniel to Atlantis and led to some cool discoveries, I thought the VFX were well done and though character usage could have been better I found it to be a satisfying mid-season. Daniel and McKay worked well together in their part of these episodes, Larrin's replacement Katana was an improvement on the Travellers (IMO) and I liked how Todd was used in this story.

Comment

Vegas!baby. This episode made all the other episodes just a distant memory. And pointed up just how dismal the writing and...well just everything about the show had become in the last 2 years.

If Vegas had been a pilot for a spinoff, I would have been one little happy fan.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I loved the Queen, one of the best eps of S5, and my writing god wrote it I loved the Teyla/Todd interaction...The only things I was a bit disappointed with was that Teyla got thrown across the room like a ragdoll, and the Keller scenes..But apart from that I enjoyed seeing Teyla actually getting to do something that didn't involve her bambino
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Vegas!baby. This episode made all the other episodes just a distant memory. And pointed up just how dismal the writing and...well just everything about the show had become in the last 2 years.

If Vegas had been a pilot for a spinoff, I would have been one little happy fan.
                This? Would have been awesome baby!
                sigpic
                sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post

That would have been difficult. What with the main character being dead by the end of it

Still Vegas was stonking good fun. I have minor issues with the fact that its an entirely AU episode and it was a poor setup to EatG but taken as a stand alone it was a very fun story. Well done and it focuses on John which surprisingly was a rarity for the season.

The Atlantis team i think should be applauded for totally reinventing themselves and their style if only for the one episode. It's really a pity they didn't go so far as making a unique title sequence for episode. (although iirc the american release was only using the 10 second sequence at the time so maybe that wasn't an option)
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

I'm enjoying season 5 alot so far. Granted, I'm only two episodes in, but I'm excited to see some fun new storylines and some more really interesting stories (and humor and action, the usual things people love about Stargate).

I, like many others, agree that the 1st season of Atlantis was best, but I haven't been really disappointed in any of the seasons of Atlantis (the only two seasons of Stargate I've been disappointed in are seasons 9-10 of SG-1). It's too bad that alot of people don't seem to have enjoyed the last couple of seasons as much as I have. Yes the show isn't perfect, but overall I think it's been fantastic.
                    "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
                    "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir Foxz View Post
                      my fav episode of this season has to be 'Daedalus Variations'. This episode showed a good use of the team and that TPTB can write Teyla and Ronon in a way that they can contribute in a situation where they could be wallpapered, it was amusing seeing Ronon trying to explain the multi-verse theory to Teyla. Having Teyla work with McKay in engineering with a bit of back story that Major Marks had given her some training on the operating systems of the Daedalus was also a nice touch, Sheppard's comment to Ronon on the bridge was definitely one of the most amusing this season as well "Easy, Chewie! Those buttons are your friends!". The visual effects in 'Daedalus Variations' were cool and the concept of an alternate universe jumping starship made for a good episode (IMO).
                      I totally agree. this was by far the best episode of season 5....definite nostalgia for 'the team' being back together.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just watched may way through s5 for the first time. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but there were a lot of things that felt rushed (EATG and the 2 parter with the Asgaard). That said, I really enjoyed that two-parter, I was a little let down to find out they were Asgard and not something altogether new and would have liked to have seen some of the gates actually blowing up.

I was left with a little bad taste in my mouth at the end of EATG with the Banks thing and the Cloaking. I thought it would have been cool to end with a reveal of the city.

Loved Vegas and the episode with all the guest stars.

Ok, that was a random post. Sad that I'm done with SG for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X