New Babylon 5 film in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Babylon 5 film in trouble

Hello everyone since I'm a fan of Stargate as well as Babylon 5 I thought I would pass on this infomation about the up coming B5 movie. I'm not best with words I will let this post by AmyGuskin expain what is happening and what you can do to help. Thank you for you time.

"Dear fellow fans of Babylon 5,

A rumor has come up, verified by some B5 fans with industry contacts (myself included), that Warner Bros. is seriously considering recasting the original roles for the upcoming Babylon 5 film, "The Memory of Shadows." This is, of course, a DISASTER for any true fan of the series. Apparently, what the studio has done is put out casting sheets for the major characters, on the premise that no one will care enough to raise a fuss about it, and then they can go ahead and cast whomever they want!

If you want to read more about this, there is a very good thread at the jmsnews.com forums, and also information at the b5tv.com forums, and on the moderated Babylon 5 Usenet newsgroup (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated).

I'm sure Warner Bros. believes that tv actors don't have big enough names to carry a film. Or maybe they want young, pretty, unskilled actors in the roles because they think they're easier on the eyes. But I hasten to remind them that if we were to follow the model of Star Trek, using the tv cast in the first feature film - and all subsequent ones - didn't seem to hurt the franchise at all! And, I also want to point out that Viggo Mortensen wasn't anything like a "name" before the first Lord of the Rings film.

I believe I speak for all of us when I say that, to a one, we do NOT want
    recasts in the roles of our beloved characters.

I'm usually the first one to turn a jaundiced eye when someone suggests a
    writing campaign. But I have heard the call, and I believe that NOW is the
    time. The film hasn't even been officially announced yet, so casting is
    certainly not yet set - NOW we need to make as much noise as possible, to
    show Warner Bros. that this is something that will not go over well at ALL with the fans. And if you think that those who are already fans are not a statistically significant percentage of the audience for this project, I remind you that the main reason we are getting a movie at all is the astonishing DVD sales figures. Sales figures that were so astonishing courtesy of you and I, and every other fan who scraped together hard-earned money to buy each box set the moment it became available.

The address for Warner Bros. is:

Warner Bros. Films
    Development Department
    Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91522

Also, there is a message board on the "official" Babylon 5 site owned by Warner Bros. Please visit the message board, register, log in, and POST! I think that besides directly writing letters to the studio, this is the best place for Warner Bros. to be made aware of our displeasure. You can register here:

http://boards3.warnerbros.com/wbol/f...orumID=2574423

This rumor has been independently verified by several people who work in the entertainment industry, and who are long-time posters on the various Babylon 5 message boards and newsgroups - in other words, trusted sources! The information was leaked by the studio for a reason: they want to see if the idea of recasting the television roles gets a strong negative reaction. So, please, if you want to see the B5 film we have ALL been waiting for, and you DON'T want to see strange faces playing G'Kar, Sheridan, Delenn, Londo, etc., please, please, PLEASE take the time to send Warner Bros. a letter about this, and post on all the message boards and newsgroups you can.
    MAKE NOISE. Now is the time. If we don't make noise and we get a film full of young, pretty faces who AREN'T Mira, Andreas, Bruce, Peter, Peter, etc.,
    we'll be kicking ourselves for a loooong time. At least if we do make the
    effort, we'll know we did all we could.

Thanks in advance for your efforts. Faith manages.

AG "

I'll believe it when I see it, I do not think that the creator there (forgot his name) will let them do this, he rather not make the movie at all.
    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
      I'll believe it when I see it, I do not think that the creator there (forgot his name) will let them do this, he rather not make the movie at all.
      I agree. JMS wouldn't even listen to TNT's suggestions regarding Crusade (which is why it was cancelled).
      Rocky

Comment

Maybe he should have because the whole plot of the show was lame, we all knew they would kind a cure.
        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Maybe he should have because the whole plot of the show was lame, we all knew they would kind a cure.
          Yeah, I agree, but, as we would have found out, that was not what the arc of the show was about. JMS even hinted that a cure would be found before the series was over (like in season three or so).
          Rocky

Comment

Isn't what they're doing based on the idea that the original cast members would 'hold out for more money' since their likeness is associated with the character? Although I'd imagine that a movie wouldn't hurt any of their careers at all...

However would a brand-new, different character....with cameos by the original cast...be acceptable?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
              Isn't what they're doing based on the idea that the original cast members would 'hold out for more money' since their likeness is associated with the character? Although I'd imagine that a movie wouldn't hurt any of their careers at all...

However would a brand-new, different character....with cameos by the original cast...be acceptable?
              Ahh...the greed factor rears its ugly head once more...most likely.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Everyone always tries to get themselves the best deal. It's natural. I've yet to meet a customer who says "Oh, the mortgage can be at whatever rate you like, Mrs Bank Person, I'm really not fussed." And when they buy their house, they always offer a little less than the asking price (which has been a little inflated by the agents for this very reason) and then there's negotiation, and both parties keep options open and entertain other possibilities until they agree on a mutually acceptable deal.

How is what happens in showbiz any different? The TV companies are businesses and have employees to pay; the actors have families to feed and a pension fund to build, and so there's negotiation, and both parties keep options open and entertain other possibilities until they agree on a mutually acceptable deal.

I don't think that makes them greedy.

But as regards the B5 film, I think a B5 film without the original actors couldn't possibly have the magic that the series had.
                Last edited by Madeleine; 12 December 2004, 05:01 AM. Reason: I'm told there's no 'a' in 'pension'. Who'd'a thought?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                  Yeah, I agree, but, as we would have found out, that was not what the arc of the show was about. JMS even hinted that a cure would be found before the series was over (like in season three or so).

The problem with that is if that wasn't going to be the main plot of the show, they shouldn't have started off with it in the first place.

Comment

The problem with that is if that wasn't going to be the main plot of the show, they shouldn't have started off with it in the first place.
                    Finding the cure does not automatically mean implementing the cure.....

Of course they find the cure and hopefully save the earth....the adventure is not in the ending, but in reaching the ending.

I agree as well that JMS wouldn't let them recast the characters to cheaper or prettier talent. He has never given an inch on anything that he considered important to the show even at the risk of having B5 cancelled 3x and Crusade cancelled....

hopefully more positive news will come out in the future.
                    Thanks!
                    Jordan

my page
                    My LJ
                    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

If they seriously think that no one's going to notice if the B5 cast got an overhaul then WB are f-ing nuts!
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

im a big fan of B5 but im having trouble getting worked up about this movie. it seems like just a rehashing of crusade, and there are so many other potential storylines for them to use why do they have to keep bringing up the shadows again? the whole shadow war arc was amazing, but i think they wrapped it up pretty good, why cant they do something original? im pretty much turned off on the franchise until they come up with a new idea, like the telpath war. that would be an awesome movie or miniseries, heck they could even make a series just about that alone.

Comment

JMS likes to be sneaky.
                          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W

But as regards the B5 film, I think a B5 film without the original actors couldn't possibly have the magic that the series had.
                            i agree 100%!

Comment

Keep in mind that Warner Bros. owns Babylon 5, not JMS. He was able to give TNT the middle finger when it came to Crusade because he had Warner's support.

If the conflict comes down to JMS vs. WB, WB is holding all the cards. If they want to make a B5 movie without him, they can.

That said, recasting previous roles is truly idiotic. TV-to-big-screen movies have a hard enough time as it is without alienating most of the fan base. If Trek, and more recently Firefly, can do it, so can B5.

Besides, the only preexisting character rumored so far to be in the movie is Galen, and Peter Woodward is utterly brilliant in the role!
                              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X