New Babylon 5 film in trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren
    Keep in mind that Warner Bros. owns Babylon 5, not JMS. He was able to give TNT the middle finger when it came to Crusade because he had Warner's support.

If the conflict comes down to JMS vs. WB, WB is holding all the cards. If they want to make a B5 movie without him, they can.

That said, recasting previous roles is truly idiotic. TV-to-big-screen movies have a hard enough time as it is without alienating most of the fan base. If Trek, and more recently Firefly, can do it, so can B5.

Besides, the only preexisting character rumored so far to be in the movie is Galen, and Peter Woodward is utterly brilliant in the role!
    admittedlly i am not well versed in the way those kind of deals go but as the shows creator why wouldnt JMS have some say with regards to B5 and WB? I understand that to get things made you need to sell the rights of your creative property to studios with money and resources to get them made, but doesnt the creator retain some say in the use and development of their idea?

Comment

JMS certain retains a big say, especially as the writer and likely executive producer of the film. But as the WB owns the rights, they'll have the final say on decisions like whether to use the previous cast or recast existing characters. The creator can push and fight and argue and convince, but he won't have the final say. And he can't take B5 and go home.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

JMS certain retains a big say, especially as the writer and likely executive producer of the film. But as the WB owns the rights, they'll have the final say on decisions like whether to use the previous cast or recast existing characters. The creator can push and fight and argue and convince, but he won't have the final say. And he can't take B5 and go home.
        True, but in the past the WB has been very accomodating, so I can't see why they would stop now.
        Rocky

Comment

interesting, thanks for the explanation!

Comment

If it weren't for agents (parasites all) many actors would work for a little less money. I've heard Arnold Swartzenegger is taking no money for his stint as Governor of California...even if they could afford it.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

For anyone worried about Babylon 5 movie being recast there has been a website set by a Babylon 5 to help people who want to get involed and stop this. Mostly basic information like where to send emails and letters.

www.keepb5alive.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                If it weren't for agents (parasites all) many actors would work for a little less money. I've heard Arnold Swartzenegger is taking no money for his stint as Governor of California...even if they could afford it.

Actually, that's not true. He is raking in a whopping 4$ every four years. Thats 1$ a year! Its true, he donates 499,999$ to charity every year, inorder to benefit CA.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Re-Cast Babylon 5 ?! Oh Hell No!

Where do I sign?! Who do I email?! I am so sick of these imbecilic PTB at the networks and studios recasting characters and twisting sci-fi storylines for a buck! It's got to stop!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrr.......
                  Last edited by Sela; 17 December 2004, 11:36 AM.
                  "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                  it has it's own laws and beats about things
                  which the intellect scorns."
                  - Mark Twain -

Comment

if they are seriously considering recasting then i hope they decide to rename the characters as well. there is no way this would be successful if they use old characters with new actors. i could understand the recasting of Dr. Franklin's actor Richard Biggs (RIP) but there is no way recasting any other major characer wouldn't result in disaster. i hope that JMS has some tricks up his sleeve to get the exec's to change their minds.

sigpic

Comment

JMS said that Dr. Franklin would not be recast.
                      Rocky

Comment

Recasting for the movie is one of the less intelligent ideas that I´ve ever heard. I want to see Bruce Boxleitner, Jerry Doyle and all the others again as it just wouldn´t be B5 without them.

However, since we all know how things are going to end with many of those characters (you can´t kill Sheridan or Delenn or any other characters since we´ve seen them alive when Sheridan dies) they might be going with an alternative story that is just set in the B5 universe.

But this does raise the question "Who would you cast in their place?" Feel free to say any name, even if it´s WAY out of this movies budget range

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping shadow
                          For anyone worried about Babylon 5 movie being recast there has been a website set by a Babylon 5 to help people who want to get involed and stop this. Mostly basic information like where to send emails and letters.

www.keepb5alive.com
                          Wait a minute. Recasted as in new actors or recasted as in original B5 actors?

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                          Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                          "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                          My deviantART profile

Comment

Recast as in the orginal B5 actors being replaced By younger sexer people.

On that note heres some new information from ISNNews www.isnnews.net

Those of you who are ardent fans of J. Michael Straczynski’s popular series, Babylon 5, which ran from 1994-98, are probably already aware of the new Bab 5 feature that’s in the works, entitled The Memory of the Shadows. What you probably haven’t heard about yet are details concerning the four main characters, Diane Baker, Galen, Colonel Joss Morgan and the villainous Tyrell. Well, with the casting process underway, HNR has scooped details on these main characters, and is presenting it here for the first time.

Before we get into the character details, here’s a brief summary of the storyline for those who haven’t yet read it:

“The technology of the ancient and extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon the galaxy by an unknown force, and Earthforce intelligence officer DIANE BAKER, whose brother was recently killed in a mysterious explosion, is out to find out who is behind the intergalactic conspiracy. Joining her in her investigation is GALEN, a techno-mage who has been charged with keeping the technology out of the hands of those who would abuse it...”

Here are the main character details:

DIANE BAKER: A bright and attractive woman in her late 20s or early 30s, she's an Earthforce Intelligence Officer in civilian clothes who is reputed to be one of the best agents in the service. When her beloved brother is killed in a mysterious explosion on his spacecraft, Diane sets out to learn what caused the tragedy. She suspects a top-level cover-up -- but before she can get to the root of the problem, she is herself accused of conspiracy and murder. Despite the efforts of her friend, Elizabeth Lochley, to shield her, Diane finds herself behind bars, prey to a corrupt official who will stop at nothing to protect his greedy self-interest. But to Diane's amazement, the remarkable Galen, a techno-mage of near-supernatural skill and daring, enlists her help in unraveling the real mystery behind the recent deaths. Their investigation reveals that an ancient technology perfected by the mystic extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon mankind by some as yet unknown conspirator. Once unleashed, the huge and all powerful shadow vessels could enslave the entire galaxy -- unless quick steps are taken to avert calamity...

GALEN: A cloaked, mysterious figure, 30-45, he appears to be human -- but there's an intensity about him that bespeaks something supernaturally powerful and enigmatic. Yet there's also something wry and urbane about Galen, a suggestion that he has humor and wicked wit lurking under his inscrutable exterior. A techno-mage -- one of an ancient sect that used science to perform apparently miraculous feats -- Galen is the guardian left behind by his kind to ensure that the ancient Shadow technology did not fall into the wrong hands. Aghast when he realizes that his long vigilance has been violated, Galen sets out to learn who is behind the Shadow technology that now threatens the galaxy. He teams with the feisty Diane in his investigation -- and he comes to feel real tenderness for his human ally. A hero and a deeply moral force, Galen stands strong against the forces of corruption that have been unleashed by his own people...

COLONEL JOSS MORGAN: A dashing and handsome officer in his late 20s or early 30s with the Earthforce Marines, he is the head of a security detachment sent to Babylon 5 to protect a contingent of inter-galactic diplomats who are meeting there. Humorous and daring, Morgan tries to befriend Elizabeth Lochley, the current commander of Babylon 5, but she's a bit prickly about having her jurisdiction violated by his forces. Later, Morgan and his forces prepare to battle the Hunter Killers unleashed by the evil Tyrell -- a virtual suicide mission that they face with gallantry, bravery and resolve...

TYRELL: 35-45, dark, enigmatic, striking and chilling, he is another techno-mage, Galen's old childhood rival, who supposedly departed for a distant sector of the galaxy years ago. Yet Tyrell has been secretly infiltrating the area, developing the ancient shadow technology and putting it on sale to the highest bidder. A deadly adversary of supernatural skill and power, he is not a rogue, as initially suspected. In fact, he is actually carrying out a mandate of his own kind. When Galen resists the corruption and madness, Tyrell prepares to battle him to the death...

Babylon 5: The Memory of the Shadows begins production in April 2005 in the UK. The film is executive produced by Adam W. Rosen and Doug Netter and produced by Alain Gottesman and J. Michael Straczynski. Steven Beck will direct from a script written by J. Michael Straczynski

Comment

Memory Of Shadow has been cancelled.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/02/...4387f304.shtml

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Yeah, I've just been reading about it... a shame really... but Joe's right... it's better not to do it than to do a slapdash job...

Apparently he posted a letter about this in rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated.
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X