Star Trek - Viewing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek - Viewing order

Hey there, just signed up for the forum but a LONG time GateWorld and Stargate fan.

Quick question: I'm going to start watching Star Trek TOS/ TNG/ DS9 (first time), VOY (third time) and the movies (first time). I was wondering if anyone would tell me the proper order to watch the series and movies? I know there's not a huge amount of overlap but I did the same with SG-1 and Atlantis and would like to do the same with Star Trek.

Is http://vidthekid.info/misc/trek.html pretty much accepted by you Trekkies? I would like to get some opinions from you guys before starting.

Here's the order I'm thinking so far:
    TOS
    Movies I through VI
    TNG
    ...then I don't know how to stagger the other series/ movies to keep continuity

Thanks for any and all help. My OCD appreciates it
    Last edited by thenut; 12 June 2009, 06:34 PM.

It's pretty simple actually: TOS - TOS Movies (1-6) - TNG - Generations - DS9/VOY (the same way in which they aired together... I guess? Your choice)/First Contact - Insurrection/Nemesis

I dunno, I don't think it's that big of a deal, tbh. Just keep working your way up and you'll be fine.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to imply that it's difficult. I just want to match the episodes as any Star Trek fan would prefer.

I know some of the seasons of TNG and DS9 aired at the same time as well as DS9 and VOY. SG-1 and Atlantis did it in the later years so I would like to watch them as they would have aired on TV not just go through them individually.

So if anyone wants to be more specific as to the order I'll be waiting patiently.

Comment

This might help.
        http://vidthekid.info/misc/trek.html

Comment

Thanks but I already mentioned that site in my initial post.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions about it or another preferred order.

After looking around, I think I'll be going with

TOS
          Movies I-VI
          TNG 1-5
          TNG 6 w/ DS9 1
          TNG 7 w/ DS9 2
          Generations
          DS9 3 w/ VOY 1
          DS9 4 w/ VOY 2
          First Contact
          DS9 5 w/ VOY 3
          DS9 6 w/ VOY 4
          Insurrection
          DS9 7 w/ VOY 5
          VOY 6-7
          Nemesis

Already watched Enterprise earlier this year so no need to again. Now I just have to let my friend borrow my Stargate sets for his Star Trek sets.

Comment

Originally posted by thenut View Post
            I think I'll be going with....
            Perfect. What I meant by "work your way up" is go by the airdates, which is what you're doing. Enjoy!
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I looked up airdates and was going to stagger each series accordingly. However, the seasons for each show didn't always start/ end at the same time so instead of do it exactly as it was aired I'm going to just watch 1 episode of TNG then 1 episode of DS9 and do the same with DS9 and VOY.

At least I'll be entertained for a very long time. Because it's going to take a while to watch all this Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by thenut View Post
                I looked up airdates and was going to stagger each series accordingly. However, the seasons for each show didn't always start/ end at the same time so instead of do it exactly as it was aired I'm going to just watch 1 episode of TNG then 1 episode of DS9 and do the same with DS9 and VOY.

At least I'll be entertained for a very long time. Because it's going to take a while to watch all this Star Trek.
                That's probably the best way to do it. Though I'd recommend watching any two-parters along the way together rather than splitting them up (and then watch two eps of the corresponding series just to make sure you're back where you should be).

There's about a half dozen of those....Emissary (DS9), Birthright (TNG), Descent (TNG), Homecoming/Circle/Siege (DS9), Gambit (TNG), The Maquis (DS9), and All Good Things.... (TNG). Voyager doesn't exist in my mind (she was lost in the Badlands, there was debris! ), so you're on your own for that part of it.

If you're including TOS in all this, I can't stress enough (my opinion here) that you should watch it in production order rather than airing order. This doesn't end up making a hell of a lot of difference later, but things are awfully jumbled and mixed up near the beginning if you watch by airdate. They were clearly still working things and ideas out so there's some wild inconsistencies unless you do production order.

And then there's crazy people like me who decide to try watching things in order of Stardate. Doesn't matter much for TNG/DS9, but for TOS/TAS, wow. Zero consistency there, makes for a very strange way of watching it all.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

hi all.
                  if anyone wants, i am making a chronological list of episodes to watch by continuity. so far i've gone through all TOS, TNG, and 7 movies. I'll be watching DS9 and VOY to make sure what I have is correct. I put all the episodes in stardate order, however there are already three inconsistencies i have discovered. those will have to be looked over. but if you are interested, pm me and i will forward you what i have and will give you the final copy once i finish going through the rest of the franchise.

EDIT: Btw I also have one for Stargate and Babylon 5
                  EDIT2: Yes I have no life. I'm not afraid to admit that lol
                  There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

I've got one put together for TNG/DS9 already actually. No voyager though, for reasons already stated.

I have no life either
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

If you decide you don't want to watch series concurrently (as this would mean having to pin down exactly when generations, first contact, and insurrection take place) just do the sensible thing and watch them in order of release of the pilot.

Tos, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT.

If you don't want to take the step backwards at the end start with ENT (if you decide to include it at all. I would but others would disagree with doing that.

I know you said you didn't want to do it this way, but I've done it both ways, and things seem to make more sense in each series if you complete one before starting the next, (or at least complete a whole season of one before moving over tho that year's season of the other.) There's even less crossover than with SG1 s8 and atlantis season 1 so you won't miss anything by doing it that way.
                      "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
                      "Those who abandon the path are evil."
                      "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

I would watch Enterprise first to get it out of the way. (which you have)

If you watch it after Voyager and DS9, the huge drop-off in production values, writing and acting will be just too much of a downer.

What's really fun is to watch Babylon 5 and Ds9 concurrently to see how many Babylon 5 characters, story lines and even NAMES were ripped off. I do love Ds9, but egads......

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post

Perfect. What I meant by "work your way up" is go by the airdates, which is what you're doing. Enjoy!
                          tss...stardates, not airdates

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
                            I would watch Enterprise first to get it out of the way. (which you have)

If you watch it after Voyager and DS9, the huge drop-off in production values, writing and acting will be just too much of a downer.

What's really fun is to watch Babylon 5 and Ds9 concurrently to see how many Babylon 5 characters, story lines and even NAMES were ripped off. I do love Ds9, but egads......
                            As much as I love Babylon 5, I still think that whole line of arguing is a huge load of crap. While JMS unquestionably produced one of the best sci-fi series in TV history, it's also gone completely to his head--and made him into a bit of a self-important git. Certainly there are similarities, but that's all they are IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                              tss...stardates, not airdates
                              Considering DS9 has tons and tons of episodes without any stardate listed, I think airdates works just as well

Comment

Working...
                              X