Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terminator thinking.... thinking, thinking.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminator thinking.... thinking, thinking.

I just finished watching T3 again and it got me thinking.

No matter what they did even in the previous movie Judgement Day would always have happened. Because there was another group of people working on Skynet and all the automated stuff at the location Katherine's father was. Although this was probably not even thought of or written at the time of T2 but I find that interesting.

Also in T3 how did the Skynet/virus thing get started? It had to have a point of origin? Howcome they never put that in the movie?
    Last edited by Coco Pops; 11 June 2009, 06:25 AM.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I just finished watching T3 again and it got me thinking.
    Just stop. Thinking about the Terminator timeline will bring you nothing but grief and headaches. It's so full of paradoxes and nonsense it's painful. Just sit back and watch the pretty explosions.

The funny thing is that Skynet could have won by not sending the first Terminator back. No Terminator to kill Sarah Conner, no time-jumping Kyle Reese, and no John Conner. It really makes the case for being lazy. If he hadn't sent the Terminator, he would never have been built though.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Just stop. Thinking about the Terminator timeline will bring you nothing but grief and headaches. It's so full of paradoxes and nonsense it's painful. Just sit back and watch the pretty explosions.

The funny thing is that Skynet could have won by not sending the first Terminator back. No Terminator to kill Sarah Conner, no time-jumping Kyle Reese, and no John Conner. It really makes the case for being lazy. If he hadn't sent the Terminator, he would never have been built though.

Please explain

Comment

IMO what he means to say is that by sending the first Terminator to kill Sarah, Skynet caused Kyle Reese to be sent back. Reese then became the father of John Connor. Therefore, by not sending the first Terminator, Skynet could have prevented John's conception in theory.

But on the other hand, the parts of the first Terminator that Cyberdyne had and reverse-engineered led to Skynet. So by not sending the first Terminator, Skynet would have negated its own existence.

But even with those parts destroyed, Skynet still came about so, yeah.

Like jds1982 said, don't think too hard about this timeline. Or Your head a splode.
        "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
        " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
        Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Not to mention in the third movie it's stated that they just delayed Judgement Day. Well if that's the case the future should be completely different than the one the original terminator came from. Skynet would be built using more advanced technology than what was available in 1997, and people who should have survived the original Judgement Day may not have survived the delayed one. The whole Terminator series is one huge grandfather paradox. If the original terminator had killed Sarah Conner than there would have been no John Conner, so there would have been no reason to send the terminator in the first place, and thus John Conner would have been born and Skynet would send the terminator, etc... Part of me wonders if Skynet knows this, and is actually trying to preserve the timeline. Maybe it sent the terminators back with instructions to appear to try and kill the Conners, but programmed them to ultimately fail. I think it would be an interesting end to the series to find out that Skynet is actually trying to help humanity unite by giving it the only enemy everyone could hate equally, itself.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

^^ This.

It's also probably best to pretend that T3, abomination that it was, never happened.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not to mention in the third movie it's stated that they just delayed Judgement Day. Well if that's the case the future should be completely different than the one the original terminator came from. Skynet would be built using more advanced technology than what was available in 1997, and people who should have survived the original Judgement Day may not have survived the delayed one. The whole Terminator series is one huge grandfather paradox. If the original terminator had killed Sarah Conner than there would have been no John Conner, so there would have been no reason to send the terminator in the first place, and thus John Conner would have been born and Skynet would send the terminator, etc... Part of me wonders if Skynet knows this, and is actually trying to preserve the timeline. Maybe it sent the terminators back with instructions to appear to try and kill the Conners, but programmed them to ultimately fail. I think it would be an interesting end to the series to find out that Skynet is actually trying to help humanity unite by giving it the only enemy everyone could hate equally, itself.

There is one big flaw with that.

It would indicate that the computer Skynet at some point in time figures out that humanity is not a threat and learns through self learning a form of compassion.

Comment

There is one big flaw with that.

It would indicate that the computer Skynet at some point in time figures out that humanity is not a threat and learns through self learning a form of compassion.
                Is that a flaw? Skynet is a defense computer, if it determined that the best way to defend its charges was to actually make war upon them so they stopped fighting each other, than it wouldn't need any kind of compassion, some abstract thinking yes, but it would only need logic. Sort of like the computers at the end of I Robot (the book not the movie). We also saw in T3 that Skynet had been active for awhile, who knows how long it had been sentient. I'm not saying this is the case, it's much more likely that the Terminator series is a simple generational conflict type story, instead of a tough love type of thing.

Comment

Is that a flaw? Skynet is a defense computer, if it determined that the best way to defend its charges was to actually make war upon them so they stopped fighting each other, than it wouldn't need any kind of compassion, some abstract thinking yes, but it would only need logic. Sort of like the computers at the end of I Robot (the book not the movie). We also saw in T3 that Skynet had been active for awhile, who knows how long it had been sentient. I'm not saying this is the case, it's much more likely that the Terminator series is a simple generational conflict type story, instead of a tough love type of thing.

Wasn't there some deleted scene explaining that the TX started the virus at the beginning of the movie, in that case then SHE is the creator of Skynet..... Ok now my head hurts because that's another paradox

I'm sure had the Doctor materialised in the Skynet tower he could have done something sonic to Skynet to shut it down haha.....

Or even James T Kirk he's had a history with computers wonder how he would have dealt with Skynet?

Comment

He would have slept with all their women (human and machine), made Skynet fry itself with a logic puzzle even a child could figure out, and then promptly tell all of them he can't tell them how to live their lives but he thinks that they'll be just fine.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      He would have slept with all their women (human and machine), made Skynet fry itself with a logic puzzle even a child could figure out, and then promptly tell all of them he can't tell them how to live their lives but he thinks that they'll be just fine.

Exactly!!!!!!

And that is how all dangerous computers should be dealt with

Now wonder what the Doctor would do?

Comment

Now wonder what the Doctor would do?
                        Doctor: "Please state the nature of the medical emergency..."

Skynet: "I am looking for John Connor..."

Doctor: "I'm a Doctor, not a resistance leader..."

continue...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

continue...
                          I'm not sure they meant that Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

continue...

Doctor: "Ah I see you are suffering from some kind of psychological imbalance. Humans are not your enemy......"

Skynet: "That does not compute, error, you are a human" then attempts to blast the Doctor who then says.

Doctor: "Ha ha you can't touch me I'm a hologram, not a human"

Skynet: "I'm not feeling well"

Continue.........

Comment

Working...
                            X