Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Default Re: The First Commandment (105)

Quote Originally Posted by dez3b View Post
    Also, kind of cool that we start getting canon info ironed out because SG9 was on the planet for 4-5 weeks which would not have happened later on.
    I got the impression that not every team did the same type of missions. SG-1 was a front-line team, so they did short term exploratory missions. They had some teams that seemed to specialize in certain areas, ie. archaeology, and those teams might spend longer on a particular planet while they conducted a dig. Another team specialized in diplomacy, as I recall.

SG-9 may have been a team that were tasked with longer term missions, potentially spending several weeks on a planet.

Am I the only one that thought it strange that O’Neill gave two direct orders that were ignored and he just kinda shrugged it off?

I could see how he might give his team the benefit of the doubt after they had been together for a long time, but they’ve just formed.

I’m also wondering whether anyone knows if the ‘Special Forces gone rogue’ is a thing that has happened. Seems plausible, but I wonder if the writers may have been inspired by true events.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by skysmurf View Post
    I’m also wondering whether anyone knows if the ‘Special Forces gone rogue’ is a thing that has happened. Seems plausible, but I wonder if the writers may have been inspired by true events.
    I think that's just a popular theme to use in a show that deals with military forces. It certainly makes for good story telling.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Major

Am I the only one that thought it strange that O’Neill gave two direct orders that were ignored and he just kinda shrugged it off?
    Sadly, it happens all the time, especially if the person on the receiving end is Daniel. No wonder he kept dying.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Probie

I could see how he might give his team the benefit of the doubt after they had been together for a long time, but they’ve just formed.

I can't remember who exactly ignored the orders, but if Daniel was one of them (which is quite possible), then there's not a lot Jack can do about it with Daniel being a civillian. He can't be court marshalled, so I guess he just has to deal with it.

Plus, I guess the fact that Daniel saved Jack's life on Abydos gives him a little leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSokar View Post
    I can't remember who exactly ignored the orders, but if Daniel was one of them (which is quite possible), then there's not a lot Jack can do about it with Daniel being a civilian. He can't be court marshaled, so I guess he just has to deal with it.

Plus, I guess the fact that Daniel saved Jack's life on Abydos gives him a little leeway.
    Sam ignored his orders when she went to try and reason with her former fiance, and she didn't get in trouble - as far as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSokar View Post
    I can't remember who exactly ignored the orders, but if Daniel was one of them (which is quite possible), then there's not a lot Jack can do about it with Daniel being a civillian.
    The better question here: when is Daniel actually following orders?

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    The better question here: when is Daniel actually following orders?
    Very true. Not just from Jack or Hammond either (or well, anyone on Earth). I mean, he couldn't even follow them when he was ascended...

I imagine, rules and orders are more like guidelines to Daniel.

Like a Brit once told us, Flemish folks, the traffic rules here are more like guidelines than actual rules.

Major

So, Daniel is a less drunken version of Jack Sparrow?

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Sadly, it happens all the time, especially if the person on the receiving end is Daniel. No wonder he kept dying.

Seaboe
    Oh Daniel... I'm not even sure why Jack bothers giving him orders. You can almost see Daniel thinking in response to Jack's order, "that's okay, I'd rather do something else"

In this case I believe it was Captain Carter and a member of another SG team on the planet who refused multiple orders.

Yes, I think it was Sam, as well as a member of another SG team that was already on the planet

Technically, everyone is able to play fast and loose with orders. Carter generally follows them because she has had that mentality instilled in her, but as the foremost gate and alien tech expert, she's too valuable to remove over occasional, low-level insubordination.

The same is true of Daniel. He can say he doesn't technically have to follow orders as a civilian all he wants, but if he wasn't so uniquely good at what he does they'd have replaced him long ago.

This also applies to Sg-1 as a whole: They're able to get away with deciding to do what they think is right over following orders because they've kept Earth safe too many times and have been too successful in their everyday missions to remove. As long as their disobedience doesn't get anyone killed, blow up in their faces in some other significant way, or become too common place to let stand they have an inordinate amount of leeway.
    Last edited by Xaeden; July 25th, 2019 at 09:26 AM.

Yes, I think it was Sam, as well as a member of another SG team that was already on the planet
    The other member was from a team that was already on the planet and his teammates had been killed. He managed to get back to the SGC and warn them, and he returned to the planet with SG1. He got recaptured, then Jack went to rescue him. And then Sam went off to try to reason with Hanson, leaving Teal'c and Daniel behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    So, Daniel is a less drunken version of Jack Sparrow?

Pretty much.